Myra Hindley and Ian Brady Drama by ITV (See no Evil)

Peggy-BitchelPeggy-Bitchel Posts: 1,033
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Click Here

Maxine Peake (who plays Veronica in shameless and Twinkle in Dinnerladies) has signed to play Myra Hindley for the upcoming ITV drma See No evil, which will be shown next april to mark the 40th annervisery of the trial. Ian Brady detests the plans, but the familys of the victims have given the ITV there blessings. What do you think?

Comments

• DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all a bit MORBID, but I'm intrigued.

I bet they wouldn't do one on Fred and Rose - now THAT would be grim and gruesome...
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would be OK if they concentrated on the two offenders and the actual crimes were played down.
  • CaramelCaramel Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I regard this as a step too far; I will not be watching.
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Caramel wrote:
    I regard this as a step too far; I will not be watching.

nor will I

there are some crimes that are just too horrendous to dramatise - and this is something that should never be considered...... :cry:

what next - "Maxine & Ian - The TRUE story"?? :mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit undecided about watching this. I was a child when it was happening, and it wasn't a million miles from where I lived. I remember the fear of our parents even though we didn't comprehend it ourselves. I suppose a good drama will tell the story well but I'll not rush to watch it.
  • lots2dolots2do Posts: 2,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Maxine Peake is a very underrated actress. It's a shame we don't see a bit more of her on tv. I'm sure she wouldn't put her name to any old rubbish and I can't believe that ITV would be crass enough to dumb down such a horrendous crime.

Like SULLA says, it would be a good programme if they concentrated on the minds of the killers and their relationship and why (if we will ever know) they did what they did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lots2do wrote:
    I think Maxine Peake is a very underrated actress. It's a shame we don't see a bit more of her on tv. I'm sure she wouldn't put her name to any old rubbish and I can't believe that ITV would be crass enough to dumb down such a horrendous crime.

Like SULLA says, it would be a good programme if they concentrated on the minds of the killers and their relationship and why (if we will ever know) they did what they did.

I'm not doubting Maxine Peake's abilities, and as the original message states, the familes of the victims have given their permission.

However, I doubt the programme will come up with anything new regarding the state of mind of the perpetrators, so what is the point.

These were heinous crimes and although should never be forgotten, I don't feel they should be highlighted in the genre of drama either.

I still feel the need to 'cross myself' in a blessing, for the victims and their families whenever I see or hear anything relating to these murderers. This need started when I was a child of 12 and I have never grown out of it. Does anyone find that weird?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caramel wrote:
    This need started when I was a child of 12 and I have never grown out of it. Does anyone find that weird?

No, it's not weird, but it can become a little compulsive if you're not careful. The crossing is like a talisman against the evil, a sort of hoping nothing like it ever happens again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tizzy wrote:
    No, it's not weird, but it can become a little compulsive if you're not careful. The crossing is like a talisman against the evil, a sort of hoping nothing like it ever happens again.

This is one of several crimes for which I do this, however I wouldn't say I'm obsessional about it, although I do ask God to bless people fairly regularly. I think I must have been deeply affected by these murders in particular; I was around five when the murders happened, although I doubt I understood anything I might have overheard on the radio or TV. I've been to church all my life, so genuflecting is more than a talisman to me, but also, I am a very sensitive person.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is unneccesary. Why drag it all back up again? Leave everyone to get on with their lifes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should this particular crime be exempt from dramatisation? The subject matter is deeply upsetting, but so is the subject matter of a great many thought provoking programmes.

If done well, it could be enlightening.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be watching - and im sure i will find it totally absorbing and interesting.

I read the book about the horrific murders many years ago and i couldnt put it down. How anyone is born / bred that evil is anyones guess.

So, as with the book im sure i will find this thoroughly engaging.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should this particular crime be exempt from dramatisation? The subject matter is deeply upsetting, but so is the subject matter of a great many thought provoking programmes.

If done well, it could be enlightening.

Do you think it will be done well though? Unless we can be sure, shouldn't it be left alone? Is there really anymore to learn? With one of the murderers dead and the other institutionalised for almost forty years, neither of whom have ever given further details as to the whereabouts of missing bodies, therefore denying those families a Christian burial for their children. I really feel it is a step too far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caramel wrote:
    Do you think it will be done well though? Unless we can be sure, shouldn't it be left alone? Is there really anymore to learn? With one of the murderers dead and the other institutionalised for almost forty years, neither of whom have ever given further details as to the whereabouts of missing bodies, therefore denying those families a Christian burial for their children. I really feel it is a step too far.

I'm not suggesting it would be ok to dramatise the actual murders, or to use sensationalism in any form - we have to trust the producers on this.

You say we know all we need to - I don't agree. In my experience, most ppl think that Hindley was 'more evil' then Brady. They don't realise she didn't participate in the first murders, or that she was being influenced by him.

Brady has been left to rot in Broadmoor and to many people, he has been erased from the memory. Yet for some reason the hatred for Hindley is alive and well.

I'm not saying the programme would be easy viewing for the bereaved families - clearly it wouldn't. But i don't see why these bereaved families deserve more protection somehow than the many other families who lose loved ones in horrible circumstances and then have their lives opened up to the public.

It would need to be done seriously and with dignity - obviously a tacky gorefest would be vile.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been dramatisations of the Holocaust, all wars, films like 10 Rillington Place etc. If the families are OK with it, then so am I (so long as it isn't sensationalised) And I agree about Maxine Peake and her acting abilities. It must have been a difficult decision whether to take the role.
  • suestormsuestorm Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    There would need to be some kind of depiction of the murders,otherwise completely concentrating on the scum who did them and asking why could lead to some kind of sympathy.
    This story is best left alone until the parents of the victims are all deceased.
    The last thing Hindley and Brady deserve is an outlet for their warped viewpoint.
    Like the 10 Rillington Place murders,the crimes should be shown to demonstrate how despicable these people are/were.
    Just talking about the crime without showing the killing will make it difficult for the programme makers to put across the sheer horror of the saga.
    And may Brady not be around for much longer and join Myra Hindley rotting in hell.
    I'm not religious,but if there's one good reason to hope there really is a "hell",these crimes are it.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    suestorm wrote:
    This story is best left alone until the parents of the victims are all deceased.

Surely any dramatision is best done when the parents are alive, so that they can at least have some input about their feelings/thoughts or so that they can be critical of the programme if doesn't bear any resemblance to the truth.
  • sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to watching this having read a very good book about the trial. I think its been long enough since the events for a proper drama about a famous murder trial. The Shipman drama and the other True Life dramas that have been on(hillsborough etc..) were faithfull and not sensationalised. This one shouldnt be any different
  • P+3P+3 Posts: 12,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when is (was) this on please and which sky channel? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be a disturbing drama. I read about Brady & Hindley on the Crime Library website and what they did was unbelievably horrific, abduct kids and brutally murder them, you just cant imagine how they could do such a thing - http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/moors/index_1.html

There was a drama about the Yorshire Ripper as well.
  • suestormsuestorm Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Thats why it should be left alone.
    The actual details of what they did and how they did it is beyond belief.
    To not show it in gruesome detail would be a disservice to the kids who died,and not horrific enough to work.Simply to have cop reading out what they found would be poor.
    But to show it as realistically as needed would be unwatchable for the parents .
    Remember these scum raped ,tortured and murdered a 10 year old girl while making an audio recording of her terror for their later enjoyment.
    While Dunblane and other crimes make for bigger numbers,the Brady/Hindly crimes must rank the worst in British history for their premeditation and sick methods
  • P+3P+3 Posts: 12,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when is it supposed to be on please; and which channel?
  • Peggy-BitchelPeggy-Bitchel Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are pictures in todays mirror of the filming up in the moors. there one shot of maxibe peake as Myra, and the looks she is giving the camera is pure evil. its good casting .
  • Live82005Live82005 Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    I can only applaude ITV for bravely commissioning such a drama with a difficult subject matter and I'm sure it will be handed with as much sensitivity as possible yet still playout this terrifying story on screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I actually watched the drama being filmed as it was fillmed at a house near where I live. It was all handled very respectfully and it did actually delve into the relationships and family life of both Myra Hindley and Ian Brady, It was very exciting to see the drama being filmed and the actors where extremely proffesional, I can't wait to see the programme on the tv and as it is being shown next april, the 40th anniversary of the trial I hope it will remind people just how evil they were and if it helps to locate the grave of Keith Bennett the little boy they never found then I am all for it.
    I would also just like to add that the film crew did get full permission of all the families of the murdered children.
    Well Done Itv.