Options

DVD-R/RW Media

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,219
Forum Member
Hi, Recently bought a Pioneer DVR-433H DVD/HDD. I have used the hard disc for a couple of weeks with fantastic results and the time has come to archive some stuff to DVD-R/RW. The manual says:

This recorder will play and record DVD-R/RW discs.
Compatible media:
• DVD-RW Ver. 1.1, Ver. 1.1 / 2x, Ver. 1.2 / 2–4x and Ver.
1.2 / 2–6x
• DVD-R Ver. 2.0 and Ver. 2.0 / 4x / 8x/ 16x, and Ver. 2.1
1–8x / 1–16x

If I buy discs that can record higher (-RW 8x) will they just record slower, but work?

Also any advice on brands to buy? My research suggests that the best brand -RW media is TDK, Maxell or Verbatim. Any thoughts, experiences? Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    usually you'll be OK with higher speed disks but a couple of good places to research and buy your disks are www.svp.co.uk and www.bigpockets.co.uk - not only do they usually have some of the best blank disc pricing and some of the widest ranges to choose from they also tend to say "this particular disc works well with JVC, Toshiba and late model Pioneers but not with Sony or Samsung" etc. etc.

(on the whole you are best finding a dye type/lead-in code that works well with your machine then always sticking to that, just picking "TDK" or whatever is not necessarily guaranteed to always work as those big brands sometime change the underlying dye/code discs between batches they sell)

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I buy discs that can record higher (-RW 8x) will they just record slower, but work?
    Not always, no. The thing to watch out for are the version numbers, as these dictate the way in which the disc is written. In particular, my Pioneer 5100H can use V1.1 RW media, but not V1.2. 4X discs always have to be at least V1.2, so these fail. Any attempt to write to them just leads to the disc being ejected.

R discs, on the other hand, rarely change their write method, so usually cause less of a headache.
  • Options
    deeweedeewee Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I agree with CJLs comments especially about trying one that suits you.

I have the same Pioneer 433H and have used the following DVDs
    mainly supplied by Novatech Online - DVDs

8x DVR-R ~ Bulkpaq (novatech code NOV-DVD8M)
    16x DVD-R ~ Datawrite (novatech code DAT-DVD16M)

I have also tried Imation 4x DVD -RW bought from Currys! They seem OK as well.

I will probably stay with 8x DVDs because the copying time difference doesn't seem to be as much as mentioned in the manual. (This is purely subjective, cos I haven't actually measured the difference between 8x and 16x.)

Hope this helps