Options

NTL Broadband Installation

Am having NTL install cable broadband soon (just broadband, no TV and no telephone).
I've noticed in a couple of threads that you install software on your pc from a setup disk but this slows your pc down.
Is it possible to connect to the NTL network without using this disk? or does it install necessary connection software? (With Telewest you just plug your pc into the modem via ethernet cable and away you go).
Sorry if this question seems a bit thick!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't normally need to install the supplied software if you don't want to.

All you need to do is activate your cable modem by going to ntl's autoreg site at https://autoreg.autoregister.net or https://62.253.162.131.

Dan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Thanks Dan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    i typed this into the run prompt

iexplore 80.5.178.26
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    This might be a stupid question - how can you go to a website if you haven't activated your modem?

Do you need to use another connection (eg at work) to do this or does the modem allow you to visit certain sites even if it's not been set up properly.

I'm thinking of going with NTL when I move house in a few weeks, and since I use a Mac at home I'm guessing I'll need to manually configure my modem.
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david101 wrote:
    This might be a stupid question - how can you go to a website if you haven't activated your modem?

Do you need to use another connection (eg at work) to do this or does the modem allow you to visit certain sites even if it's not been set up properly.

I'm thinking of going with NTL when I move house in a few weeks, and since I use a Mac at home I'm guessing I'll need to manually configure my modem.

You can access the registration page only before the modem is fully activated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    If you try and access any web site before your mac address is registered with ntl's systems, you'll be redirected to the set-up site.

Just remember to reboot your modem/set-top box and pc afterwards.
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david101 wrote:

I'm thinking of going with NTL when I move house in a few weeks,

Don't do it - they are rubbish!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    jeanoj wrote:
    Don't do it - they are rubbish!!!

The alternative is to go with freeview and Bt broadband. The 3 for £30 seems like a great deal for my uses.

The alternative is to get a SKY dish and I will not be doing that to the front of my house!
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omertron wrote:
    If you try and access any web site before your mac address is registered with ntl's systems, you'll be redirected to the set-up site..
    I wish it were that simple, yesterday at a mates I was just getting the usual IE error messages (DNS Failure).

In the end I found the manual link.
  • Options
    cookie_365cookie_365 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope the mods don't mind me linking to another site:

How to set up your NTL broadband connection without a CD

Is that what you were after?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭