Spencer Hawken To Be The master????

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
Forum Member
Just listening to Radio Cornwall, and they said that local newcomer had been cast as an evil timelord in the new series of Doctor Who? Has anyone head about this and if so is he to be the Master?

Comments

• tallordertallorder Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked out the name on the imdb - he's not been in much. I doubt it's true - they tend to save exclusives like that fir the Website or the magazines. He's playing 'Doctor Stanton' in the upcoming BBC's soap-style version of Dickens 'Bleak House'. Can't be a major role though as I can't find a credit or photo in the press pack.

Take it with a pinch of salt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Well, he was definately cast, as the BBC are not likely to release information about there own programmes on a rumour, I just wondered if it was likely to be the Master. I mean it would seem odd for it to be another Rival timelord. The guy is based down here in Cornwall, so I guess by the end of the week more info will be out there by the time the local rags go to print.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's highly unlikely that the Master will be appearing in the second series, so if this guy's been cast it's probably a different role.
  • tallordertallorder Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't think that Radio Cornwall has a direct line into BBC Wales where casting for this kind of role will take place. Time will tell, but I'd be surprised. Performingmonk is right, if he's been cast it's probably for another role and a local presenter/journo has got their story a touch off.

Can't seem to google up a picture of the guy either so he can't be very well known in TV circles - perhaps he's more of a stage actor?
    Forum Member
    I think your right, he does seem to be a stage actor, they mentioned Chicago when the item came on, but he seems to get a bit of air time down here "cornwalls golden son" sort of thing.

They never said he was to be the Master that was my question, its just first thought that comes into your head when someone mentions a rival time lord.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    They never said he was to be the Master that was my question, its just first thought that comes into your head when someone mentions a rival time lord.
    You're right of course - The Master *is* the first character people tend to think of when a rival Timelord is mentioned. So it's most likely that he will play that part.

Unless, of course, they have decided that the shiny new series needs an equally shiny new villain. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, but I haven't heard anything either way as of yet.
  • Cornish AndyCornish Andy Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Wasn't paying proper attention when I read the thread title, and for one confused moment I thought Stephen Hawking was playing The Master - now that I would lke to see!
    Forum Member
    DenWatts wrote:
    You're right of course - The Master *is* the first character people tend to think of when a rival Timelord is mentioned. So it's most likely that he will play that part.

Unless, of course, they have decided that the shiny new series needs an equally shiny new villain. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, but I haven't heard anything either way as of yet.

Personally I think a new Evil Time lord would be great, as it would have lots of scope. If anyone is interseted I have heard that Radio Cornwall are going to have a quick phone chat with him at some point this morning, you can listen online through the BBC site!
    Forum Member
    Wasn't paying proper attention when I read the thread title, and for one confused moment I thought Stephen Hawking was playing The Master - now that I would lke to see!

You and me both, but I think he would be more likely to be davros :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Did the report say "rival" or "evil" timelord? Because there's quite a semantic gap there...

VB
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could see this being a cliffhanger for the end of the 2nd series - finally realising that he is not alone, and the potential dangers that could bring. What if this rival timelord follows the original master story (perhaps not the master himself) - which sets up the rival as the Doctor's brother... (because all through the first series, he kept on saying he doesn't do family, domestic etc...)
  • aussiewantsaps2aussiewantsaps2 Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor having a new evil brother would be fantastic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Personally I think a new Evil Time lord would be great, as it would have lots of scope. If anyone is interseted I have heard that Radio Cornwall are going to have a quick phone chat with him at some point this morning, you can listen online through the BBC site!

Not being sarcastic, but you posted this after the interview, so I hope nobody spent hours listening.

Basically I heard the same thing the cow heard yesterday, but as it transpires this chap is in posession of a Tardis but did not say he was a Timelord. Apparently he is in two episodes of series 2, but by the end of the second story the character "John" is not as he should be he assists the Doctor but the end of the episode will see him leave via Tardis with the Doctor being none the wiser, leaving a doorway open to series 3, I get the impression that "John" appears in School Reunion, as a school theme was mentioned.

Most of the chat which lasted about 3-4 minutes was spent on Children In Need, the guy playing John has some sort of involvement with children in need. He was very cagey about questions being raised and refused to say whether he was or was not the master. Apparently this guy is going to gatecrash as many live UK shows he can during the week running up to children in need to raise money for charity. They are going to show a report on spotlight everynight that week. If you have satelitte and dont live in the westcountry you can watch it on the 900 channels I think. BBC South West.
    Forum Member
    Sorry I did not realise it had been on already, I left that post when I got up. I apologies and consider myself well and truely told! :cry:
    Forum Member
    I'm corrected on one thing, but last night they did definately say he was to be an evil timelord.
    Forum Member
    Yes they did say that last night, you are quite correct, however that was not what was said this morning. And although he did not say too much i think its better to take the information from the horses mouth rather the halfwit that does the evening show.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Met Brian Blessed last week, and he told me he had been approached to play the Master, but couldn't do it because he was visiting the international space station at the same time.

Didn't know how to respond to this. Thought an embarrassed chuckle would be appropriate.

chuff.x.
    Forum Member
    What if this rival timelord follows the original master story (perhaps not the master himself) - which sets up the rival as the Doctor's brother... (because all through the first series, he kept on saying he doesn't do family, domestic etc...)
    I really like this idea, SW - RTD has said many times that the effect that travelling had on a companion's family was never considered in the original programme. It would be just like him to reveal that this evil character was in fact a relative of the Doctor, just to throw a bit more tension into the dynamic. (For example, it would be realistic that the Doctor would never outright kill the 'Master' (call him that for now) if we discovered he was actually the Doctor's brother. Rather than the old days where the Master always escaped to live to fight yet another day, even when the Doctor could have prevented him.)

Not that I want the new Who to turn into a soap or anything (there's a fine line) but I think the fact that Rose's family were shown in the last series made it easier for a new audience to relate to the programme. Grounded it a bit and made the fantastic easier to accept by having at least a basis in everyday life.

Just my tuppence worth, anyway. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's highly unlikely that the Master will be appearing in the second series, so if this guy's been cast it's probably a different role.

I think I need to drag up something I read a few days ago...
    Someone posted on here (can't remember where) that they were at a convention thing and Brian Blessed was there - he said he turned down the role of the Master due to other commitments. Make of that what you will.
    Forum Member
    cmc 42 wrote:
    I think I need to drag up something I read a few days ago...

Someone posted on here (can't remember where) that they were at a convention thing and Brian Blessed was there - he said he turned down the role of the Master due to other commitments. Make of that what you will.
    But that was Chuff - the person who posted two above you. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Brian Blessed would make a good Meddling Monk!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    brian blessed would be awesome as a dr who arch nemesis..not necessarily the master.....but a renegade timelord that was on the council but I do like the idea of him playing a mad monk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:
    But that was Chuff - the person who posted two above you. :rolleyes:

:o Well it was my dad who told me he was reading a thread on here a couple of nights ago and couldn't remember which one it was.
    Forum Member
    cmc 42 wrote:
    :o Well it was my dad who told me he was reading a thread on here a couple of nights ago and couldn't remember which one it was.
    Sorry if that sounded like a 'telling-off' - it wasn't meant to be.
    Forum Member
    Anybody heard any more news on this?