Options

Sky loses exclusive rights to EPL coverage

againstpaytvagainstpaytv Posts: 211
Forum Member
Sky will be forced to share matches with another broadcaster from the start of thr 2007 season, there will be 5 packages of 28 games, and Sky will only be allowed a maximum of 4, leaving the last to be bid for by ITV, BBC, or anyone else.

Comments

• Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    I think it's pretty much certain that Sky will retain 4 packages, with the other 1 up for grabs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...which will likely go to Setanta and keep it on pay-TV...
  • Options
    againstpaytvagainstpaytv Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Sky could actually only get 3 packages, because ITV & NTL are wanting one package for £170m per year, and i'm sure bbc will submit a bid for the last one.

Then there is also Setanta who might bid, this could shape up to be an exciting auction.

Sky currently pay £340m per year, i think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this goes to another Pay TV company you will be forced to pay more if you want to see all games, even if some go to a FTA broadcaster (say 5 out of the 28).

Why does the EU care so much about Premier League rights - other EU countries have exclusive contracts in place, 1 for even more than the Sky / Premier League deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    dont you acuallly realise yet these will go to the highest bidder

it will only mean dearer sky subs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll also probably mean more pubs have to pay for TWO reamingly expensive packages...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry too much about the price going up. As it stands Sky pay £1.1bn for rights everyone else came up with £150m over 4 packages.

Five packages won't change that much.

I don't see how Setanta's 2 bob operation can pull in the revenue to buy even the last package. With ITV, Five and the BBC after some of the action the chances of Sky winning top top 3/4 and the last 1/2 going to one of those are much higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setanta aren't a "two-bob" operation, remember that they supply the only way to watch EPL matches in most of the non-Europe, non-Middle East world....
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its better Sky Sporrts to have it, if it goes to Setenta thats a bad move for people... Remember when ITV Sports had right to Football League games?? you HAD to have ITV Digital to watch it!! At least SS is widely available.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamby wrote:
    Its better Sky Sporrts to have it, if it goes to Setenta thats a bad move for people... Remember when ITV Sports had right to Football League games?? you HAD to have ITV Digital to watch it!! At least SS is widely available.
    I don't quite follow that line of argument. Setanta don't have their own platform - they broadcast on Cable, Satellite and (in STV/Grampian at times of matches) Freeview.

There is word going about that Setanta will buy a package for broadcast on a PPV basis - Cable/Satellite viewers purchase in the usual way; households with TUTV boxes buy a "single-game viewing card" from the corner shop. A new, innovative approach to PPV, which I like :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now the packages have been split up into five packages is there still a top package and a bottom package or will they each be equal so each package gets a fair share of games involving the top teams?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see UK fans willing to pay £14 a month for the 5th choice fixtures.

It'd be a nice bonus for their current SPL fans, or NTL customers (don't remember the new name) in Ireland. Beyond that it is not a money spinner.
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't quite follow that line of argument. Setanta don't have their own platform - they broadcast on Cable, Satellite and (in STV/Grampian at times of matches) Freeview.

There is word going about that Setanta will buy a package for broadcast on a PPV basis - Cable/Satellite viewers purchase in the usual way; households with TUTV boxes buy a "single-game viewing card" from the corner shop. A new, innovative approach to PPV, which I like :)

But Setenta will mean more cost, you'd have your SS cost AND then have to pay Setenta aswell... SS is a one off payment for all matches.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky could actually only get 3 packages, because ITV & NTL are wanting one package for £170m per year, and i'm sure bbc will submit a bid for the last one.

Sky could end up with nothing - but it's unlikely.

...and remember that the Sky/NTL offer of £170m was for half of the available games, not for one package.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamby wrote:
    But Setenta will mean more cost, you'd have your SS cost AND then have to pay Setenta aswell... SS is a one off payment for all matches.
    Not necessarily - you don't need a Sky package that includes SS in order to get Setanta (in fact, if what I said is true, you don't even need Sky).

Granted, there are other sports on SS that people watch (cricket springs to mind), but I bet there are a fair few people who only have it for the football.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I'm not signing up to any other service, and I doubt the majority of other Sky Sports subscribers would either. I don't want to pay the same amount of money I do now for less games, or even more money for the same amount of games. They keep telling us the consumer will win. How? By paying for two premium subscriptions instead of one?
  • Options
    GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, sky will put their prices as they will claim they are not getting enough to survive, the new provider which will no doubt be ppv as well so another sub. It is just another nail in the coffin of football. SKY has an excellent record of coverage and even bailed out the football league. It is just a few idiots in Brussels trying to get in the papers.

I give up. I will watch less and less and then hope and pray for the day when the electronic season ticket is introduced so I can watch all the games of the team I support. The rest can go shoo.

bad times ahead.

gb-
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the deal mentioned by the thread starter actually been agreed between the EU commisioner and the PL?
    I know there was a meeting today but can't find any reference on the PL website or the BBC website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    Has the deal mentioned by the thread starter actually been agreed between the EU commisioner and the PL?
    I know there was a meeting today but can't find any reference on the PL website or the BBC website.

They had the deal on the 6pm news on BBC1 so I assume it is a done deal.

I think this deal is good for football. IMO this could make it so people can see the Premiership for cheaper. I have Sky Sports but get fed up of there being PPV games which I will not pay for. I hope the terrestrial channels get the rights to show some games so they can be split between Sky Sports and Terrestrial and PPV can be got rid of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drewy wrote:
    They had the deal on the 6pm news on BBC1 so I assume it is a done deal.

I think this deal is good for football. IMO this could make it so people can see the Premiership for cheaper. I have Sky Sports but get fed up of there being PPV games which I will not pay for. I hope the terrestrial channels get the rights to show some games so they can be split between Sky Sports and Terrestrial and PPV can be got rid of.

Thanks, so much for upto date official websites:)

Opposed to Political intereference in areas they have no business in but it'll certainly stir things up.

Without exclusive footy I won't be willing to pay the current price for SKYsports world (the £50 for Prem+ is excellent) and I will not pay for two providors and that's assuming that any PAY content appearing elsewhere is not exclusive to the platform

Intersting to see how the argument that footy on telly reduces crowds is handled and if the PL will allow FTA Dsat carriage not to mention main brand sponsership if the BBC make a bid.

Big question, will there be any broadcast who doesn't show some interest and how many do you think will actually make a bid once the tender process starts:)
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 will proberly get the other 50% using Sky's Money
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the link to the BBC website confirming the deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4352160.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EU has not agreed to the PL's proposals - according to the BBC in the very linked you have posted above, the PL described today's talks as "fruitful" and an announcement is expected later this week on what happens next.

The EU may agree, or they may refuse, or they may just want more talks.

Whatever happens, we're not going to see the end of PPV.
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote:
    The EU has not agreed to the PL's proposals - according to the BBC in the very linked you have posted above, the PL described today's talks as "fruitful" and an announcement is expected later this week on what happens next.

The EU may agree, or they may refuse, or they may just want more talks.

Whatever happens, we're not going to see the end of PPV.

So the EU say that they are trying to help Jo Public with more choice! So we will probably have to pay 2 subscriptions to watch the amount of games we currently watch with 1 subscription.

PPV will, as you say, remain - it is all a part of the tv deals.

ITV / NTL offer - this was rubbished by the TV chairman the other day. [EMAIL=http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=193&id=1227]ITV / NTL deal[/EMAIL]

Setanta - good chance they will get a good bid in - they are a big Company
    BBC - Don't count them out.
    Private Equity firms / BT - strong possibilities of bidding
    Sky - will keep the majority

Of course the Premier League will probably also stipulate that all games are also to broadcast in HDTV (as Sky will be doing from next year) and this will need to be taken into consideration.
    Then if ITV did win the rights they would have to increase their bit rate which is awful at the moment (Premier League would require this)
    The Premier League is suffering from falling attendances at games, so any more than the current number of live games is unlikely.

All IMO of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PL won't be able to specify bandwidth or broadcast, although HD production will almost certainly be part of the deal.

My own opinion is that there will either be two packages, one of 77 games and one of 63 games or four packages, each of 35 games, with nobody allowed more than two packages.

Having five packages won't work if one person can get four of them, because the EU won't be satisfied that a second bidder gets a "meaningful share".