Options

Problem with Sony IDTV since EPG changes

ccarmockccarmock Posts: 278
Forum Member
Since rescanning channels on my Sony KV32DS60 after today's reshuffle a load of channels of missing, including BBC News 24.

The DS60 is one of the older IDTV's that has 2 digit channel numbers, which maybe part of the problem.

Has any one else experienced simialr problems?

I am close to the Crystal Palace transmitter and get a very strong signal.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have got the Sony KV-28DX30U we do not get the 700 channels lost some channels and radio channels from the Fenton Transmitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you get BBC News 24?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not Here the BBC News Channel as gone.
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its on channel 80 :p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get Talksport Radio on Channel 80.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Despite Sony's comments clearly their older IDTV's with 2 digit channel numbers simply can't handle this reshuffle.

They claimed that the 01-99 would all store correctly, and then those that woudl appear on 100+ would fill in on unused channels int he rtange 01-99. That is just not happening.

I have manually stored Sky News now on 41.

Does anyoen know of a list of which channels and service IDs the digital channels have for each transmitter?

The Sony needs to know which channel C21-C69 and S01-S30 each is on for manual tuning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just spoke to Sony Customer services. They know about the problem with some channels missing. They say that this is affecting a number of their own models of IDTV and also those of other manufacturers.

They also fel there is a problem in general since the re shuffle and that their advice is to wait a fwe days and try a re-scan again to see if any transmission problem is resolved.

After that even thguh they have stopped issuing new software for the older TVs, if a software patch can resolev the issue they will issue updates.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    I'm waiting to try a second reload in a few days' time on my DX40. The first time I did it (Tuesday 5.00 p.m.) I had all the early channels correct but the radio channels and news channels were mixed up and all over the place. Problem is that after 60 it takes 70 and 700 channels and puts them in order according to the first 2 digits. Wish I hadn't reset the channels!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not going to do an auto-scan on my Sony DX150. I'll get around to adjusting BBC4 and ITV3/4 individually to the new logical channel numbers (LCNs) sometime.

Because most Sony IDTVs only have 0-99 channels, the 80-99 region is used for extra channels that are found from distant transmitters and also for channels with LCNs above 100. Since the News channels and some others have LCNs of 80-88, I guess that they'll be booted off if the 80-99 region gets filled with other stuff first in the course of the auto scan. Worse still, I believe that some early Sony IDTVs also used the 90-99 region for analogue channels.

Although Sony IDTVs are desirable for their reliability and excellent picture quality, Sony have had a bad habit of not bothering to implement the full DVB spec on their IDTVs, but just implement enough to get them working with whatever's being currently broadcast. When some new feature is broadcast, then although even the ancient OnDigital STBs would handle it, Sony would have to broadcast a software fix before it could be displayed. I expect they're tearing their hair out at this one, though.

The latest Sony tuners that are in their STB and their DVB DVD-recorder can handle three-digit LCNs correctly, and this has also found its way into their latest IDTVs, although I'm not sure which model numbers this applies to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I spoke to them today they claimed it was technically not possible to support 3 digit channels ont he older sets. However I do knwo the tuner is modular on these sets - on a small daughter card. As I had to have mine replaced to support MHEG as the original one didn't.

I think many of the Sony IDTVs will now have problems. More and more people will rescan, as the advice from the BBC website is to do just that.

Sony's response was in the short term you will have to tune the missing channels manually. However they did say they won't wash their hands of the problem, and even thought software development for the older sets has ceased they would consider a further release if that could fix the problem. However they are currently blaming the transmission.

As you say an old Nokia Mediamaster On Digital box handles the 3 digit channels perfectly.
  • Options
    rjlawsonrjlawson Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Farry - I don't know if the DX150 & DX50 share the same SW, but I updated my 50 the other day & everything seems OK. Found something like 84 channels, and I haven't noticed anything missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but were they in the right order? I had them all but they were rather mixed up at the lower end.
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Sony KV-28DX30U and I am having the same problems, dosnt seem to support 3 digits..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I've got a KD-32DX40 and have the same problem with the radio stations being scattered all over the place, etc. I don't think I have any missing channels though but will now double-check.

Anyway, this subject was covered in another thread, before the EPG re-shuffle, where I posted some emails I'd exchanged with Sony Customer Services. The upshot was basically that the channels above 100 will be scattered in the space left between channels below 100 and this is the normal and expected behaviour. I got the distinct impression that Sony considered this to be a perfectly acceptable situation and were unlikely to develop updates to resolve this issue.

I believe others on this forum have tried to come up with ways to pressure Sony into providing better support for their iDTVs. If anyone has any new suggestions I'd love to hear them...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is fine. I know that doesn't help much, sorry
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Got a KD-32DX40, all channels but all over the place :-\

I expect Sony will suggest buying a Sony digital box !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    KD28DL11U ok... AND works ok with E4 !
  • Options
    LocksmithLocksmith Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Learnt my lesson a long while ago not to autotune my DX30 :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All radio and TV channels mixed together as per other postings...also having problems with various channels not available....spoke to Sony customer service....They blamed Freeview for not giving them enough notice to sort out the potential problems....Again suggested software update may be developed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/raymogy2006/ check out this isite for help
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a KD28-DX50, and I'm too scared to try a retune yet! Can anyone reassure me? Does anyone have a definition of what an 'older' Sony iDTV is?
  • Options
    rjlawsonrjlawson Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    32DX50 retune has put the BBC Radio stations in reverse order from the last available channel numbers. 93-radio1,92-1xtra,91-radio2 etc...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I have a Sony KD-28DL10U and have 2 problems both related to rescans

I have Loader no. V1.01 and Software r2.50(GB)
    1. I have only 99 channels available and therefor the rescan has put programs all over the place. I actually have 250 channels showing although numbers 100 - 250 are grayed out even though on a previous rescan it loaded channels in on these numbers
    2. some channels, such a Sky News and the programmes on this multiplex, on rescan are not picking up the strongest signal which means having to program these in manually

I spoke to Sony today and they say they are aware of both issues and will call people back once the software download is ready to rectify this.

If anyone else has a problem I suggest that they contact the customer service dept to record the issue as this may prompt them to get things moving quicker.

They are (as mentioned in a previous mail) blaming the BBC for changing the basis of Freeview streaming and not letting manufacturers know early enough. How that sits with my daughter's Thompson box picking all up OK I don't know. Perhaps Thompson have a crystal ball the Sony don't.

BTW I am in Chelmsford and pick up on the Palace transmitter I believe. We are in a no-mans land here and do not get the best reception - Pixilation in evidence most evenings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    28dx50 i have gets the channels. but are mixed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This also shows up the stupidity of Freeview in numbering channels in such a way. There won't be more than a 100 channels until at least 2012 and no need to space them out with so many gaps.