Options

Darius in the West End

MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
Forum Member
✭✭
As reported on ITN.

I actually think he might be rather good in the role. Good luck to him.

Comments

• Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Darius is much younger than most of the other famous names who've played that role, he doesn't have any acting experience and it's best to draw a veil over "crazy legs" Darius in PI but I think he's an inspired choice for the role of the flamboyant Flynn.

Darius has a strong, versatile voice and a good range. The West End was always clearly an option but he wanted to write his own music. He did, and he can be proud - so far he's written 5 top ten hits and every track on a platinum album. He once said he had ambitions to write a musical. Starring in one is a good first step.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Good luck to him. I am sure he will be very good.
  • Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to him, I am sure he will be great in that role, and I agree about his strong voice being good for musicals.
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like to add my good wishes to Darius - he has got a certain charisma that will suit being in a musical and the part of Billy Flynn is right for him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Sorry Darius doesn't do anything for me at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airam wrote:
    - so far he's written 5 top ten hits and every track on a platinum album. He once said he had ambitions to write a musical. Starring in one is a good first step.

Does anyone recall what the promises were he made to Nasty Nigel in Popstars about what he would achieve ? And how many of them he as now accomplished ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They weren't promises, just throwaway lines to cover his disappointment because he knew he hadn't done himself justice. There were only 2 of them - a number one single and a triple platinum album before he's 35 - he has until August 18th 2115 to achieve that.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darius is younger than the character, but I can imagine him in the role. He's always been a great performer, that suits this kind of part. There's no doubt he's more than capable of the singing. I'm only a bit worried about dancing, but I'm not sure how much dancing is required for that particular part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry. my last post should read :

They weren't promises etc............................. he has until August 18th 2015 to achieve that.

Not "2115" as I typed in error.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to Darius in his West End debut. I think he will be good in the role.

I don't like it when people say that stars are on a downhill path when they take roles in musicals. Musicals are some of the hardest things a singer can do. "Musicality" showed this very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neil Sean had an update on Darius yesterday. D's fans are waiting to hear if any of what he said is confirmed by more reliable sources, preferably Darius himself. He's doing a pop show and a charity gala before he opens in Chicago and fans are going to both and hope to talk with him.

Neil says Darius is about to sign a contract to release an album of modern West End tunes. Presumably he means a licence agreement for distribution and promotion. Darius's five album record contract is still with 19 Recordings and I can't see Fuller letting him sign a full contract with anyone else.

A "sing the vocals" album would be easy to do and would make sense to tie in with his stint in Chicago.

Darius's own self-written 3rd album isn't due out until well into next year.

Neil Sean also says that Darius's contract requires him to transfer to Broadway. He didn't say but I presume it would also be for a limited guest run, if it's true at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Darius has now revealed how he got the part of Billy Flynn.

Seemingly the American producers of Chicago heard the original swing-style song " Devil In You" from Darius's second album and loved it so much, they headhunted him for the role.

He was recording for his 3rd album in LA when he got their call, returned to the UK for a quick audition and the producers were happy that his voice (speaking and singing) was "old" enough for the part.

Darius will be on GMTV on Monday 14th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought he came over very well. He is obviously relishing appearing in the West End although he says his music is a first love.

By the way, I must say that it isn't easy appearing in a West End musical - it isn't a cop out for singers and actors to do that. It is much more tiring than people realise.
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    June wrote:
    I thought he came over very well. He is obviously relishing appearing in the West End although he says his music is a first love.

By the way, I must say that it isn't easy appearing in a West End musical - it isn't a cop out for singers and actors to do that. It is much more tiring than people realise.

I would say that moving into the musical theatre is a very good move for Darius. I have followed his career, but must admit that this is the first I have heard of this.

The so-called Pop business is such a shallow world for anyone who wants to make a real career in the music business. The experience and contacts that Darius is likely to make by this change of direction are going to reap long term benefits for his future in music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you. Will has also diversified by going into the film which is released next week. Very sensible of them both.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    June wrote:
    I agree with you. Will has also diversified by going into the film which is released next week. Very sensible of them both.

Truly looking forward to Will's new film!!! Haven't been to west end cinema for years but just this once I will just for Will! :)

Was also debating whether to see Darius or Nigel Harman (EE Dennis) on stage but decided on Nigel. Really looking forward see him sing very soon, 10th Dec to be exact!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know how long Nigel Harman is in Guys and Dolls? (Sorry off topic) I am going on 1 March.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Re Nigel Harman - not sure really but they're taking bookings up to 4th March.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Nigel Harman, I have tickets to go see him.

Now Darius is a different matter altogether, he makes me feel quite nauseous so I will most definitely not be buying tickets to see the cheesemeister. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw Darius last night and he amazed even his staunchest fans - word perfect, accent accurate and sustained throughout and even his dancing during Razzle Dazzle 'Em looked classy. My sister knew nothing about him -she's a radio3/4, classical music person - but she was very impressed with Darius's performance and in particular with his acting and Reached For The Gun, a difficult number but one Darius excelled at.

Daniel Bedingfield was there and he declared that Darius was brilliant. Foxy was also there trying to claim a bit of the glory by declaring..... We (the PI judges?) always knew he'd be great for that (West End). He spent ages chatting to Darius's Dad in the foyer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still can't get over the nerve of Darius slagging Robbie in Heat this week, just who the hell does Darius think he is. He could only ever dream of having Robbie's success, and if he believes anyone will buy his 3rd album then he's even more delusional than he sounds. Mind you he is quite popular with the blue rinse brigade. ;)

The man is an egotistical fool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Darius was not attacking Robbie.

Darius admires Robbie. He was expressing the same concern as Mark Owen - that despite his being the biggest selling artist of the millennium, Robbie has never found happiness.

D's critics of course will twist anything he says to suit their own ends.

What noone can do, is interfere between him and his audience at the Adelphi each night. Each one will make his or her mind up about Darius on the strength of his performance that night.

From the evidence of the first two nights he is already gaining respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't believe a word attributed to Darius in any situation where there is any possibility of editing. The media can't even get easily checked basic facts right.

This Friday's GMTV's Entertainment show will feature Jenni Falcolner rehearsing the role of Roxie Hart and performing "Reached for The Gun" with Darius. Sky News headlines the report - Jenni sings with Darius- when the whole point of the song is she does not sing. It is Billy Flynn (Darius) who sings her answers to the journos'questions in a high pitched voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    The reviews for Darius in Chicago are decidedly mixed - check out the readers reviews for Chicago on www.whatsonstage.com

Once again you either love him or hate him - at least there's no middle ground.
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    olivered wrote:
    The reviews for Darius in Chicago are decidedly mixed - check out the readers reviews for Chicago on www.whatsonstage.com

Once again you either love him or hate him - at least there's no middle ground.

Can you tell me where I can find the reviews, as I have used the above link and cannot see a mention of Darius in the current show at all. He is listed as a cast member, but all the reviews seem to be for previous casts.