Freeview PVR (Humax Duovisio 9200T)

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
OK here we go, you are going to have to bear with me on this one whilst I 'play' and try and answer all your questions at the same time.

Initial impressions:

1. Fan is on even in St/By.......but it is quiet.

2. The Hard Drive is very noisy on start up (fast ticking clock), but quietens down after 50 Secs.

3. Any of you with a 8000T of the Fox 2 will recognise the user interface.

4. One oddity so far, pressing the power button on the remote, and nothing happens for 5-7 Secs, it has caught me out numerous times already.

5. Front display shows Channel name and current time in normal use.

6. Software date is 22 Sep 2005.

7. Whilst scanning the EPG a small window shows the last channel viewed, it does not change as you look through the guide :)

8. I am currently Dual recording a TV and radio programme. To view other channels available to watch you press the list button, channels available are highlighted those not on the muxes you are recording are 'greyed out' (much the same as the Toppy)

If you try and view a channel not on the muxes being recorded, then an on screen message appears:

'This channel is restricted by recording'

The front Panel display changes from the channel ident to Rec, and a count up timer.

Is that enough to keep you going :) I know you will have more, and I am here all Day.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Hope the mods DON'T merge this with the "speculation" thread.

Anyway to fill in emsee's chart the "unknowns" that you can hopefully now answer were:

current + buffer = think so
    chase play = think so
    num timers = unlimited?
    auto pad = unknown
    record synopsis = think so
    record subs = unknown
    archive schedule = unknown
    create folders = unknown
    BST/GMT = unknown
    auto delete = unknown
    reminders = can't see any mention
    remote other devices = doesn't look like it
    passthru = unknown
    f/w version = unknown
    next update = unknown
    info display = unknown

(for what these are actually referrring to see www.emsee.co.uk/pvr)

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all sounds good so far, I can't wait until Saturday when I can have a play.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally, one has arrived! :) My fingers are crossed, hoping that early indications are good re. reliability.

Thanks for the info, Barry. Sounds good so far. Keep it coming.
  • youngbazyoungbaz Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Barry, you're a star!

But for heaven's sake just forget about us for a while and PLAY - I know I would.

BTW: Is there anything actually worth recording at this time of day?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    BTW: Is there anything actually worth recording at this time of day?
    Loose Woman later!!?? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Barry wrote:

Is that enough to keep you going :) I know you will have more, and I am here all Day.

Well done for being the first, Barry.
    Quick question: How would you rate the general build quality and "look". Hopefully not too obvious a question.?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Gosh it's exciting........in years to come people will ask ....."where were you when Sir Barry received the first 9200" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I would be interested to know if the remote will control the TV volume directly? TIA! ;)
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    brattbakkk wrote:
    Gosh it's exciting........in years to come people will ask ....."where were you when Sir Barry received the first 9200" :D

The tension is terrible, waiting for the next snippet of info. Reading Barry's first mini review was like getting exam results!!! But when I saw the :) and no :mad: my hopes were raised. I guess something stronger than coffee is required at this time.

Colin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Munchkinn wrote:
    I would be interested to know if the remote will control the TV volume directly? TIA! ;)
    I see that question asked a lot (and indeed my E55 remote *can* do this) but I've never quite understood the purpose of this - care to explain?

(In my house we always just use the telly volume control and leave the PVR set to "100%")

Cliff

PS Sorry if this is a dumb question!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Munchkinn wrote:

Louder.....he can't hear you over the noise of the fan & hard drive :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Sir Barry, is the fan loud enough in standby that in a small bedroom it will be incredibly irritating, also can it be stood upright??
  • youngbazyoungbaz Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    brattbakkk wrote:

You're right. One element in the GCSE/A Psychology wot I teach eves (to keep SWMBO in the style to which she seems to have become habituated) relates to 'Flash Bulb Memory'. Usually I exemplify with JFK being shot, Columbus exploding, Lady Di in car crash etc, but the younger students can no longer relate to these. Now I have a superb new exemplar which all will know first-hand! Thankyou.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    youngbaz wrote:
    JFK being shot, Columbus exploding, Lady Di in car crash etc
    I had no idea the great explorer died by spontaneous explosion. I guess that is something you'd never forget if you witnessed it though ;)
  • desm52desm52 Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:
    I see that question asked a lot (and indeed my E55 remote *can* do this) but I've never quite understood the purpose of this - care to explain?

(In my house we always just use the telly volume control and leave the PVR set to "100%")

Cliff

If the PVR remote can control the tv volume directly then 99% of the time you only need the PVR remote. Easier than having to continually swap remotes when you change channels and new channel is louder than the last one. By directly it means it send the IR code direct to tv, its not telling the PVR to reduce the sound voulme it is sending to the tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Barry wrote:
    1. Fan is on even in St/By.......but it is quiet.
    Bummer, that could be the deal breaker for me. Can you hear the fan from a distance of 10-15 feet in an otherwise quiet room? I guess the only way for many of us to judge that would be to listen late at night, when the ambient noise is low.

Barry
    Forum Member

Services: Sky+ x2 • Tivo x2, •Panny TUCTH 100, •Fusion FVRT200, •Toppy, •Pace Twin

Don’t forget to update your Sig :)

With all that equipment, I have this image of you in an underground bunker with about 27 remotes in hand whilst staring at a gazillion screens and planning world domination.
    They’ve announced the new Bond, is there anything you need to tell us about who the next Bond villain is Barry :D
  • larkimlarkim Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:

Cliff

On the Thomson DHD4000 there is no volume control for the PVR, so to be able to just use one remote its handy (as for Sky boxes I believe) for the "new" remote to be able to control the volume on the TV as well, rather than have to use two remotes (given that all channel changing etc will be done by the new remote).

I'm fortunate in that I own a Thomson TV as well as the DHD4000, so the remote is compatible and does adjust the volume on the TV as well as controlling the PVR, but it would be a major nuisance if it didn't. Though if all I had was a DVD recorder (or VCR etc) I wouldn't see the value in volume control on the remote, as you say.

Of course, the ideal solution would be to have a volume control on the PVR itself. When all I had was a Pace digibox, i would leave the TV volume at a set level, and adjust the volume via the digibox instead. Can't understand why this feature isn't present on my DHD4000, and I don't know whether it is there on the Duovision / 9200.

Matt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:

Cliff

With a PVR remote setting the channel, subtitles, all video functions AND volume, you can finally sit down with just a single remote at hand instead of 2 or 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    7. Whilst scanning the EPG a small window shows the last channel viewed, it does not change as you look through the guide

That's a nice touch :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrviner wrote:
    With a PVR remote setting the channel, subtitles, all video functions AND volume, you can finally sit down with just a single remote at hand instead of 2 or 3.

this is a bit off topic and belongs in to the old thread. All we want in this thread are cold hard facts :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    current + buffer =....................Yes

chase play =............................Yes, but only by rewinding the buffer.

num timers =...........................Unkown att

auto pad = .............................No

record synopsis =...................Yes

record subs =..........................Yes, if being transmitted

archive schedule = unknown

create folders = unknown

Sorry if I am a bit slow in responding, I getting there as quickly as possible.
    BST/GMT =...............................Yes, currently set to Auto, but you can select offsets

auto delete = unknown

reminders = can't see any mention

remote other devices=..............No

passthru = unknown

Hardware Ver PVR9200T REV 1.0

Software Ver PGXTF 1.00.00

Loader Ver a 4.07

next update = unknown

info display =.....................See First post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done for being the first, Barry.
    Quick question: How would you rate the general build quality and "look". Hopefully not too obvious a question.?

Normal Humax quality ie excellent.....but as I noted in other thread, some of you are not going to like the remote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sir Barry, is the fan loud enough in standby that in a small bedroom it will be incredibly irritating, also can it be stood upright??

I cannot hear the fan, but then again I cannot hear the Fusion 200 Fan either, so I might not be a good judge.

Standing on side.........don't know
  • BeancounterBeancounter Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 questions Barry. Does the EPG data store better than the Toppy? Also, if you have set up recordings, are the show titles shown or just channel name/number and times as in the (tapless) Toppy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 questions Barry. Does the EPG data store better than the Toppy? Also, if you have set up recordings, are the show titles shown or just channel name/number and times as in the (tapless) Toppy?

1. Yes, eg leave it on BBC 1, and in a few moments you have a fully populated epg.

2. Date: Time and Length: Title and Channel.

Small break everyone (good job I don't work for a living anymore), whilst I load the software on this beast.