Options

digital tv on laptop

Hi, got a laptop but was wondering what the best usb connecting device i could get to watch digital tv on it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a USB device but today I bought the AVerTV Hybrid+FM Cardbus from AVerMedia:

http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/aver/products_digitvtuner_hybridcardbus.asp?show=2

It's a PCMCIA tuner which fits into most (but not all) laptops. It should arrive either tomorrow or Monday so I'll post back with feedback.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    if your laptop has usb 2 you may want to try a hauppage nova t-usb2.

Maverick :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    if your laptop has usb 2 you may want to try a hauppage nova t-usb2.

which one is the best one and would i need to connect it to an aerial or will the one supplied with it be sufficient to catch the digital tv channels
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Hi

AVerTV Hybrid+FM Cardbus i would say this would be more suited to your needs if you have a spare cardbus slot on your laptop. also this card is a hybrid allowing you to watch digital and analog tv. and also comes with an aerial supplied.

on the other hand if you dont have a spare cardbus slot the hauppage novat usb2 works by connecting it to your laptop via a usb cable, you will also need an aerial to receive the signal as it doesnt come supplied with one.

i would recomend checking system requirements before buying a card.

i currently own the hauppage card and find it works good for me i have a 1.8ghz celeron and have no problems with it.

hope this helps if you need anymore info just ask and i will try and help

• Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the MSI DigiVox, the supplied aerial is usless here in the UK.

Works fine on my Centrino 1500 Laptop, although the supplied software sucks - I use Showshifer 3 with their X10 remote (shame I can't get the Digivox remote to work when using BDA software :( )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My AVerTV Hybrid+FM Cardbus arrived yesterday, so as promised, here's my first thoughts.

It's a nice bit of kit. Sticks out of the PCMCIA slot about 4cm then there's a short adaptor cable for the aerial. Two aerial inputs for TV and FM radio along with inputs for S-Video to connect other sources. Aerials are supplied for both TV and radio. The TV one is about 15cm long on a magnetic base. When I was using the supplied aerial I couldn't pick up all channels and the ones I could get were all tripe (Ideal World etc). Connecting to the rooftop aerial I could pick up all channels with excellent quality.

The supplied software is okay but not perfect. I've seen recommendations to get Showshifter which should work with this card but apparantly updated software will be out before Christmas to resolve many complaints. It has most of the features you'd expect like recording programmes, pause TV and an EPG.

Overall I'd give it 7/10. It's a massive improvement over the ATI All In Wonder I used to have. If anyone's got any questions, I'll try to answer them.