Using the Humax PVR-9200T with a PC.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
Forum Member
I’ve started this thread for information on using the PVR-9200T with a PC.
I’ll start with a few questions:

How does the picture quality compare when viewing recordings on the PC as against using a TV? With a good quality PC and a DVI TFT, the image quality should be better than any TV.

If you transfer a non-widescreen recording, does it keep the correct aspect ratio when viewed on the PC?

What transfer rates are you getting for TV recordings to the PC? Either state Mbps or state how large the file, how long it took to transfer, the TV channel.

What format are radio recordings when transferred? They will more likely be MP2 (not MP3) format, which should play in Windows Media Player if my memory is correct. MP2 files can be converted to MP3 with free software. Ask for further info.

Does the Humax software work with Windows 2000 or earlier versions of Windows?

When posting information on this thread, please include any relevant details about what hardware and software you are using. My Humax doesn’t arrive until next week, so I won’t be able to post my experiences until then.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    How does the picture quality compare when viewing recordings on the PC as against using a TV?
    It's digital - the underlying images are identical - surely that's just a question of how good your display device is. In fact it's not really any different to considering how good a telly you have connected to the PVR in the first place.

I guess the other thing it tests is the quality of the video DACs in the PVR versus those in your PC video card.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Edit - Should have gone on the other Humax thread. Soz!

I rang up Turbosat at 2pm yesterday and was told that they had sold out and the next batch wasn't due in until the 31st! :( Not Happy:)

On a side note, even though this is my first post, I have been reading these forums with great interest since early september and just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who's done a great job in answering questions! Now I just gotta get one myself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Could anyone guess at the format (encoding) of Radio stations on the 9200. I've succesfully transfered and burnt to DVD, video MPEG's but not Radio. Any ideas on possible extensions?

Actually, I'm not really sure why I would want to do this anyway. Think a coment over on the other thread got me wasting hours this afternoon :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    windsurf123,

There's no MPEG encoder in these PVRs so what's on the disk and ultimately copied to your PC is exactly the same MPEG that came down the wire from the broadcaster - that is an MPEG2 elementary program stream.

You should be able to use MPEG2 editing tools (virtualdub comes to mind) to extract the audio from it.

Cliff
    Forum Member
    Aaah right, thanks Cliff. Now I get it. Doh, it's obvious.
    Guess as I've been tinkering with my shiney new box since it arrived at 7:15 this morning, I've somewhat burnt my brain out :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, Haven't got mine yet, so this may be an RTFM q.

Previously I've seen people say "I have not been able to view the files transferred from Humax on my PC", but I can see above that people have been able to burn to DVD.

So - how do you burn to DVD if you haven't got anything that can view the files? Or is it using the DVD codec (is it VOB? - if so, there is a media player that can read that and pretty much every other codec I've come across).

What I'm tempted to try if we can read the things, is to transfer a file, e.g. a film, stick a transcoder on my pc, and then sit in bed with wife and small screen table (e.g. nokia 770 or even a laptop) and stream off the transcoded data over the wireless network...

Of course, could be lots of problems - the device may be rubbish for video, haven't even seen a 770 yet - and wireless network may not sustain good enough rate - 770 has 800x400 screen. Etc.
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, Haven't got mine yet, so this may be an RTFM q.

Previously I've seen people say "I have not been able to view the files transferred from Humax on my PC", but I can see above that people have been able to burn to DVD.

So - how do you burn to DVD if you haven't got anything that can view the files? Or is it using the DVD codec (is it VOB? - if so, there is a media player that can read that and pretty much every other codec I've come across).

What I'm tempted to try if we can read the things, is to transfer a file, e.g. a film, stick a transcoder on my pc, and then sit in bed with wife and small screen table (e.g. nokia 770 or even a laptop) and stream off the transcoded data over the wireless network...

Of course, could be lots of problems - the device may be rubbish for video, haven't even seen a 770 yet - and wireless network may not sustain good enough rate - 770 has 800x400 screen. Etc.

Yes you can transfer from the 9200 to PC > rename the file *.mpg (for example), then burn to DVD using whatever you prefer. (I used Nero Vision Express). The issues were with transferring video the other way (to the 9200)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Somewhere in the other forums there was a comment on it being a bit "Iffy" with longish USB cables.

Has anyone had time to experiment and find what will be the maximum usable interconnecting length?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Do you have to burn the file as a data file or dvd video with Nero?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    windsurf,
    Its a lot to ask, but would you mind posting a simple bullet point "how to" on putting the downloaded file onto DVD using nero? Just because I have nero ;) !

I am sure a lot of other people have nero too but I am not confident and dont want to waste a DVDR.
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    windsurf,
    Its a lot to ask, but would you mind posting a simple bullet point "how to" on putting the downloaded file onto DVD using nero?

Not at all:
    1. Using a USB cable, download the required recording using the Humax eLinker software to your PC.
    2. Right-click on the file and select Rename.
    3. You can leave the file name the same but you must add (.mpg) on the end. Hit return.
    4. Using NeroVision Express 3 (I'm sure many othe authoring tools will be similar), create a new Video DVD.
    5. Add any video files you want and then hit next a few times to preview the compilation.
    6. When ready you will be prompted to burn the disk.
    7. Nero will then spend some time transcoding the video/audio into the standard *.vob format, suitable for playing on most domestic players.

* NeroVision Express is an integral part of Nero 6
    ** Make sure you don't get confused with Nero Express, a different aplication.

Hope this helps and doesn't patronise anybody.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Somewhere in the other forums there was a comment on it being a bit "Iffy" with longish USB cables. Has anyone had time to experiment and find what will be the maximum usable interconnecting length?
    USB typically supports a maximum cable length of either 3 or 5 metres, I can’t remember off hand; I’ll check it out later. This is a USB issue, not a Humax one, although the 9200T may have its own USB issues. You can extend this length with a powered repeater unit, which in effect amplifies the USB signal and passes it on to another cable. I’ve no idea how much these cost. It’s one reason why it’s a shame that PVRs don’t use Ethernet which can run for 100m I think on cheap cable.

My version of Nero 6 doesn’t include NeroVision Express; I have 6.6.0.5 Enterprise Edition.
    Timkipper wrote:
    Do you have to burn the file as a data file or dvd video with Nero?
    Don’t confuse the process of COPYING a DVD from within the main Nero program, with what windsurd123 is describing. He is describing the AUTHORING of a DVD from a Nero sub-program.
    COPYING is the process of copying an existing DVD to a DVD optical disk. AUTHORING is the process of creating a new DVD structure from (usually and in this case MPEG2) video files. Freeview uses the MPEG2 video format which is the same format that DVDs uses, which helps make this process easy.

You can use other DVD authoring software packages also. I have the WinDVD Suite which came with my motherboard and contains WinDVD Creator. My 9200T arrived today and I’ll try using this program tomorrow.
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For converting radio programs from mp2 to mp3 you can just change the file extention and nearly all mp3 players will read it.

for example

'file.mp2' change the 2 to a 3 and the 'file.mp3' will play in your mp3 player. No need to do a loss-y conversion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Just lurkin .... and wondering if this has the ability to receive files from a PC (as per Topfield)?? If so, do they show up in recordings menu?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    USB typically supports a maximum cable length of either 3 or 5 metres, I can’t remember off hand; I’ll check it out later. This is a USB issue, not a Humax one, although the 9200T may have its own USB issues. You can extend this length with a powered repeater unit, which in effect amplifies the USB signal and passes it on to another cable. I’ve no idea how much these cost.

5m looks like maximum but you can get a USB Booster cable to give you an extra 5m. These cost £11.69 from PCNextday and you can use up to 5 of them to give you a total length of 25m. Never had an opportunity to use one myself.
    Forum Member
    For converting radio programs from mp2 to mp3 you can just change the file extention and nearly all mp3 players will read it.
    for example
    'file.mp2' change the 2 to a 3 and the 'file.mp3' will play in your mp3 player. No need to do a loss-y conversion.
    I’m sure this is incorrect, as I’ve hit this issue before with DAB and Satellite radio transmissions that I’ve recorded on my PC and I needed to convert to mp3. They do need to be converted using a software utility and I can’t for the life of me remember what I used two years ago to do this. I’ll post later when memory is back on-line :)

I seem to remember that MP3 is short for MPEG1 Layer 3, whereas MP2 is part of MPEG2.
    Forum Member
    The Humax software states that it works with Windows 98, ME, 2000 & XP; it doesn’t say which versions of 98 it supports, so if you have 98 rather than 98SE it’s unclear whether it will work. 98SE added better USB support so it may be an issue.

There is a possibility that you have DVD authoring software either installed on your PC or on CDs that came with your system, your motherboard or graphics card and don’t realise it. The most likely candidates are as follows:

NeroVision Express, as part of a Nero software suite.
    WinDVD Creator, as part of the WinDVD Suite.
    Various Roxio software suites.

The WinDVD Suite came on a separate CD with my Asus motherboard. I think most Asus Deluxe motherboards now come with that.

I can’t speak for Mac users.
    Forum Member
    Someone asked yesterday on the main thread if it’s possible to use a USB WiFi dongle with the 9200T. I think this is generally very unlikely, as most if not all USB dongles are PC devices and need to connect directly to a PC to function. It is technically feasible to design a USB WiFi dongle that could connect to any USB device (USB fridge etc), but the cost of such a device would probably be prohibitive.
    But, if the 9200T is a Linux based system, then there is more of a chance that this will be possible, but maybe not with all dongles. I’m interested in contacting Humax with PC related questions, so I can past on replies to this forum. I’ll email them on Monday.
  • andyhurleyandyhurley Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m sure this is incorrect, as I’ve hit this issue before with DAB and Satellite radio transmissions that I’ve recorded on my PC and I needed to convert to mp3. They do need to be converted using a software utility and I can’t for the life of me remember what I used two years ago to do this. I’ll post later when memory is back on-line :)

I use Audactity which is freeware and gives all sorts of editing and filtering facilities too. I think it will read straight from the multiplexed file but I could be wrong, I may have had to demux it with PVAStrumento first. It will write to lots of formats including MP3.

MP2 files wouldn't play on any of my stand alone players though WMP was ok.
    Forum Member
    The Humax Windows software CD cover looks very impressive, but as an ex-professional software developer I have to say that the actual software LOOKS decidedly amateurish in many ways, not just visually. I haven’t hooked it up to my PC yet (different floor of house), so can’t comment on its usability. I’m not sure how well this bodes for future development, but I get the impression that their software department doesn’t contain many Windows software developers.

This isn’t meant to be a criticism of the software or Humax, I’m just trying to speculate on where they are going to take this product. I’d rather more features and less polish any time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have just got my 9200T and it appears to be an excellent piece of kit, however one of the main reasons I bought it was to use it as an MP3 jukebox and it appears although it supports this feature, for some reason the storage space for mp3's is limited to only 5gb! of the 160gb!!. Can anyone think of why this is or how you could get around it?
    Forum Member
    tinted wrote:
    I have just got my 9200T and it appears to be an excellent piece of kit, however one of the main reasons I bought it was to use it as an MP3 jukebox and it appears although it supports this feature, for some reason the storage space for mp3's is limited to only 5gb! of the 160gb!!. Can anyone think of why this is or how you could get around it?
    I just this minute posted about this issue on the other thread:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=5941400#post5941400

It was post number 553 and you may or may not find this illuminating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinted wrote:
    although it supports this feature, for some reason the storage space for mp3's is limited to only 5gb

does it say this in the manual, or is it an observation?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    No mention in the manual whatsoever which is where my frustration lies. I see 160gb and MP3 playback on the box so for no reason did I suspect it would be limited to only a small fraction of the space available..wierd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone -

I'm new to all this PVR stuff but been reading all the mounting excitement about the 9200T so took the plunge yesterday and ordered one from Turbosat which arrived today. Fairly pleased so far but had problems transfering to the PC - only managed 70meg of Coronation St in 30mins!
    I can't get the unit to operate in USB 2. Using short cable and Hi Spec Laptop so not sure what the problem is. My other USB2 devices work fine.
    Also not too happy at the moment about the Timeslip operation, but still, onwards and upwards!

Cheers,

Richard