Options

ITV FTA from November 1st ?

SlaneSlane Posts: 1,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to posters (Tony and Big Paddy) on the satellite forum on Boards.ie (who are usually reliable and don't tend to jump the gun) ITV will go Free To Air on November 1st.

Anyone heard any more news on this ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than from those two (who, as the OP said, are reliable), nothing...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 & ITV2, or just ITV4?

That I'm not clear on.

The biggest issue for "serious" sat enthusists is ITV PVR without Sky rental..

My PC Sat RX doesn't take a Sky card.

The encyption has _NEVER_ ultimately limeted geographic area, as someone in Spain can order a Sky Box and Card via UK...

SO for non-Pay TV channels the card system was a waste of money for viewer and broadcaster and profit for Sky.

All said before when BBC went FTA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    According to http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digital_tv/dsat_frequencies.shtml ...
    ITV services are currently still encrypted although they will become free-to-air next year.
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it will go FTA on 1st November.
    watty wrote:
    ITV1 & ITV2, or just ITV4?

That I'm not clear on.

ITV4 is not launching on Sky until 7th November. This was confirmed to me in an email by ITV earlier. When it does go FTA it will be all ITV channels just like Men & Motors is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SiGa wrote:
    I doubt it will go FTA on 1st November.
    ITV4 is not launching on Sky until 7th November. This was confirmed to me in an email by ITV earlier. When it does go FTA it will be all ITV channels just like Men & Motors is.

Whether or not something is FTA or encrypted doesn't neccesarily have any bearing on it being on the EPG. Or the other way round for that matter (if you know what I mean). ITV1 going FTA may not be related to when ITV4 will appear on the EPG.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Slane wrote:
    Whether or not something is FTA or encrypted doesn't neccesarily have any bearing on it being on the EPG. Or the other way round for that matter (if you know what I mean). ITV1 going FTA may not be related to when ITV4 will appear on the EPG.

What Satellite Mag are saying Christmas FTA date for ITV
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I live in France and just a few hours ago ITV 1 & ITV 2 went FTA.
  • Options
    davesulldavesull Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's confirmed - they're now FTA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    KevinB wrote:
    I live in France and just a few hours ago ITV 1 & ITV 2 went FTA.

It seems so, just removed my card to check and they are FTA. Could just be temporary I suppose ot they might be going FTA today!
  • Options
    D-J-SD-J-S Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV has gone FTA today. Roll on Channel 4, E4, More 4 and 5. Then maybe we'll see others follow suit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yay, just checked on my box in the spare room and ITV1 & 2 are both showing :D

So does a freesat card only give CH4 & Five now? do you think sky will reduce the card price now as it will only give 2 extra channels instead of 4?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    asdigi wrote:

So does a freesat card only give CH4 & Five now? do you think sky will reduce the card price now as it will only give 2 extra channels instead of 4?

........and Sky Thrc (sorry, Three)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    asdigi wrote:

I Very much doubt it. The Freesat cards are supplied almost at cost by sky (that's including all associated costs such as call centre, admin etc..) so the price will most likely stay the same.
    Also, ITV2 has been FTA for some time now so it's only going down to 2 channels from 3.
    A freesat card will now only unlock C4 and Five (assuming ITV HAS gone FTA and stays that way)..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie98 wrote:
    I Very much doubt it. The Freesat cards are supplied almost at cost by sky (that's including all associated costs such as call centre, admin etc..) so the price will most likely stay the same.
    Also, ITV2 has been FTA for some time now so it's only going down to 2 channels from 3.
    A freesat card will now only unlock C4 and Five (assuming ITV HAS gone FTA and stays that way)..

ITV2 was not FTA until today - it was FTV on Satelllite

Sky Three is a new FTV channel, so Card required.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Well Done, ITV !!!
    But since their previous contract originally expired on November 20th 2004, they are only 346 days late. In the meantime I couldn't be bothered waiting for them and OFCOM to stop messing around and got myself a Freesat FTV card through a 3rd party.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    So presumably you get a 'postcode itv1' at 103?

Can you tune in all the others under add channels or are they already there further up the epg like the beeb?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, good news. Thanks to Tony and BigPaddy over on the icdg section of baords.ie for the advance notice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    So presumably you get a 'postcode itv1' at 103?

That's right !

Can you tune in all the others under add channels or are they already there further up the epg like the beeb?

Add channels - not quite as convenient as the Beeb's arrangement
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV 4 is on men and mortors on Sky for it's launch at least.
  • Options
    MackmanMackman Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    On my Spare Sky box, which I only really use for radio, It has 101 BBC One London, But 103 Is ITV West Midlands, Why West Midlands, It has No Card In?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 103 should be determined by the Postcode where Sky think you live
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So Sky think that a box with no card, Is In London And The West Midlands, Very Strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - I take your point!

What is your approx. location, anyway?

:confused:

Edit: Of course, 101 should also be Postcode governed. Can't explain the anomaly - sorry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If It Was Postcode Driven Then My ITV Region would be 'Grampian TV' work that one out. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good grief!

Time for a couple of glasses of red!

:)