Options

A year in Corrie

Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,782
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Time seems to fly so fast in soap land. I started to think back to the last year and forgot some of the wonderful Corrie episodes that deserved a mention in these Awards, yet get ignored.

Now sure what other peoples highlights have been but for me the Ray Langton return and death episodes were amazing. Emotional and so fantastically acted.

Seems so long ago now.

Comments

• Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maya should have been recognised in the soap awards but wasn't. Don'tcha just hate that. A brilliant storyline doesn't get any recognition because it wasn't scheduled at the right time of year.
  • Options
    Live82005Live82005 Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Well these good storylines were all early in the year and sadly, unless they're really big, they won't be recognised. Which I guess why EastEnders won, because they brought out the big guns at the right time.
  • Options
    pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mad Puppy wrote:
    Maya should have been recognised in the soap awards but wasn't. Don'tcha just hate that. A brilliant storyline doesn't get any recognition because it wasn't scheduled at the right time of year.

Well it was a long time ago, it was arround 12 months ago I thought?
  • Options
    Money MoneyMoney Money Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Live82005 wrote:
    Well these good storylines were all early in the year and sadly, unless they're really big, they won't be recognised. Which I guess why EastEnders won, because they brought out the big guns at the right time.

Treu but the op is gutted about Corrie losing she sounds like one of their casst members :yawn: :sleep: :D
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Back on topic - I thought Ray's return was the highlight of the year in Corrie. Neville Buswell was so good and it still brings tears to my eyes thinking of it. :cry:

I also loved the Sally & Ian storyline. I realise I am probably alone in that :D but I thought Sally was great, gave her the opportunity to show lots of different emotions.

I also loved the Karen/Tracy/Steve storyline.

Mad Maya - noooo! A good storyline until the last couple of weeks when it was way over the top.
  • Options
    Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Lippincote's analysis (above).

I have to say though that since the summer my interest in Corrie has waned, to the extent that I only watch it occasionally now. I used to avidly watch every episode. With the exception of the odd highlight, I don't think it has been a great year for Corrie.

I haven't been able to get into the Baldwin storylines at all (partly because I find the family's acting really irritating). I look forward to getting into the show again when the current batch of storylines have moved on.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I can see that if you don't like the Baldwin's you wouldn't be enjoying Corrie that much at the moment :) . But I think Bradley Walsh is brilliant - equal to the fantastic Jane Danson - so I have loved this storyline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the writing of the last few weeks has been brilliant, there has often been so many one-liners that I wish I recorded it as I can`t remember them. Bradley Walsh`s timing makes them look so easy.
    I haven`t liked some of the slapstick humour and don`t understand why we need Diggery but it does give another place of employment and background.
    The way that Mike dealt with Janice was classic and differentiates Corrie from EE as far as I am concerned. Corrie being character lead uses the personalitiy of the characters in the storylines and it works so well.
    Really the two soaps are so different that I find all the argument about which is the best a waste of time. It`s impossible to really compare them as they are written from different perspectives. I have always watched both and Emmerdale and will always do so. And as with any TV series some episodes are better than others and its all down to personal taste.
    I am suprised that someone hasn`t come up with the idea of T-shirts for your favourite soap.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corrie was on top form between last October and April, it was only around May-August it went downhill and started to get better again in September.

It seems the huge storylines like Maya, Killer Katy, Karen V Tracey, Ray Langton coming back etc have been forgotton by the voters.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray's return was the best story of this year in Corrie. It was so well written and acted. And more importantly it was character-led, not sensationlised or COMEDY-led.....Like most of what Corrie is now. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie was on top form between last October and April, it was only around May-August it went downhill and started to get better again in September.

It seems the huge storylines like Maya, Killer Katy, Karen V Tracey, Ray Langton coming back etc have been forgotton by the voters.
    I disagree. Corrie was on top from late 2002 all the way until the summer of this year. It was unrelenting, constantly pushing the quality button. But then the writers and producers became complacent and just shoved the panto comedy down our throats like if it were no tomorrrow.

The over use of Cilla and Les reminds me a bit of the over use of the Slaters in EE, which started the downturn on the show.
  • Options
    elkheadelkhead Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Ratings are still high but Corrie is bein overtook by Eastenders!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lala wrote:
    I disagree. Corrie was on top from late 2002 all the way until the summer of this year. It was unrelenting, constantly pushing the quality button. But then the writers and producers became complacent and just shoved the panto comedy down our throats like if it were no tomorrrow.

The over use of Cilla and Les reminds me a bit of the over use of the Slaters in EE, which started the downturn on the show.

oh yeah I know Corrie was on top form from 2002, but im talking about the last year which is why I said from November last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elkhead wrote:
    The Ratings are still high but Corrie is bein overtook by Eastenders!
    The ratings are very much on the high. And I will expect them to be. However Steve Frost needs to work his magic quick before the panto really takes over the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve Frost will get the show back on top
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Frost will get the show back on top
    When is he joining Corrie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yeah I know Corrie was on top form from 2002, but im talking about the last year which is why I said from November last year.
    Hmm yes, last year was exceptional. But I preferred the year 2003. I thought the storylines, save Hillman, were more character-led then sensational.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,887
    Forum Member
    lala wrote:
    Hmm yes, last year was exceptional. But I preferred the year 2003. I thought the storylines, save Hillman, were more character-led then sensational.
    So are you saying that all the current story lines are either there for comedy or just to be 'sensational' ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonze wrote:
    So are you saying that all the current story lines are either there for comedy or just to be 'sensational' ?
    Hello there Bonze again. :)

Yes, it would seem so to me. I mean Cilla being, rather unconvincingly, trampled over by the dog and falling over in her chair :confused:. I was watching it and did not a laugh. And many people on here I've read also didn't laugh at it. It seemed all to contrived.

I'm not saying Corrie is awful. It is just it could do better, much better. We saw from the last three years it could top itself a hundred times over with the quality they manufacture.

Of course you may have a different opinion to me, and that is fine. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed upon things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,887
    Forum Member
    lala wrote:
    Hello there Bonze again. :)

Yes, it would seem so to me. I mean Cilla being, rather unconvincingly, trampled over by the dog and falling over in her chair :confused:. I was watching it and did not a laugh. And many people on here I've read also didn't laugh at it. It seemed all to contrived.

I'm not saying Corrie is awful. It is just it could do better, much better. We saw from the last three years it could top itself a hundred times over with the quality they manufacture.

Of course you may have a different opinion to me, and that is fine. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed upon things.
    Hello again lala :)

Maybe it would help if you gave examples of what you like/dislike rather than just making sweeping statements :cool:

Yes the Cilla bit was awful, but then again Cilla is awful.
    But that wasn't the whole storyline was it? It was just part of the wedding story (which I am also dreading).

I don't entirely disagree with you, I just don't agree with putting all current storylines into two distinct boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonze wrote:
    Hello again lala :)

Maybe it would help if you gave examples of what you like/dislike rather than just making sweeping statements :cool:

Yes the Cilla bit was awful, but then again Cilla is awful.
    But that wasn't the whole storyline was it? It was just part of the wedding story (which I am also dreading).

I don't entirely disagree with you, I just don't agree with putting all current storylines into two distinct boxes.
    Thank you for making yourselve clear. I'll bare this in mind. :)

*Lala goes off to sweep and sings the long and winding road*
  • Options
    Coral_BCoral_B Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion it hasnt been a good year for corrie. It hasnt been awful, but cerainly not good. certain storylines stand out as being particularly bad IMO

The Shelly agrophobia stuff has been dire to watch. Its a good thing shelly is going. we get to see more of violet i hope now as she's the longest running barmaid. Sally lindsey really showed a lack of acting skills with this storyline. she just couldnt cope.

We got yet more endless tedium from tracey and steve. I found that all highly boring. It had been done to death by the time karen had left, there was no need for more of it so soon.

The killer katy stuff was also badly done. It began to feel like they filmed a entire month of katy crying. God she was awful.

Ashley and that boxing stuff was again extremely bad, and anything that gives claire peacock more screen time is a 'no no' as far as im concerned.

The danny/leanne affair hasnt managed to interest me in the slightest. although i am quite enjoying seeing the atermath now its finally happening.

I still like and watch corrie, i have just noticed a stark difference in standards compared to last year. Maybe its because the people at the top (or those in charge) have changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with your points Coral, last year we had Tracy had the baby, Tracy sells baby, Tracy tries to sabotage Karens wedding then revelas that Steve is the father in front of a packed church. Todd has an affair with Karl before coming out as gay. Sarah gets pregnant in the meantime, baby is born but sadly dies. Sarah sleeps with Jason leading to Todd's exit. The Mad Maya saga, 2004 was just a much more memorable year for me. Much better than 2005's offerings I must say.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coral_B wrote:
    In my opinion it hasnt been a good year for corrie. It hasnt been awful, but cerainly not good. certain storylines stand out as being particularly bad IMO

The Shelly agrophobia stuff has been dire to watch. Its a good thing shelly is going. we get to see more of violet i hope now as she's the longest running barmaid. Sally lindsey really showed a lack of acting skills with this storyline. she just couldnt cope.

We got yet more endless tedium from tracey and steve. I found that all highly boring. It had been done to death by the time karen had left, there was no need for more of it so soon.

The killer katy stuff was also badly done. It began to feel like they filmed a entire month of katy crying. God she was awful.

Ashley and that boxing stuff was again extremely bad, and anything that gives claire peacock more screen time is a 'no no' as far as im concerned.

The danny/leanne affair hasnt managed to interest me in the slightest. although i am quite enjoying seeing the atermath now its finally happening.

I still like and watch corrie, i have just noticed a stark difference in standards compared to last year. Maybe its because the people at the top (or those in charge) have changed.
    Agree with all that apart from the 'Claire' bit ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe they were just giving us light relief from all that drama in 2004. I think they focused too much on the humour this year. Yes, give us the one liners, by all means, balance the excellent drama with the unbeatable subtle comedy, but don't shove it down out throats. Remember the episode where they thought Rita was dead? That was the one of the best examples of that but unfortunately not every episode is like that.