Options

Noel Edmonds New Show

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
Forum Member
Just to say that Noel Edmonds starts his new quiz show tomorrow on Channel 4. Good Luck Noel, I'm rooting for you. :):p:):p

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what time is this on?
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what time is this on?
    4:15pm after Countdown.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good, so they decided to give him a show anyway ! Good to see him back
  • Options
    BringBackThamesBringBackThames Posts: 3,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Mr Blobby be in it :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    NO! This can't be true??
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Is it called Deal or no Deal?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Mr Blobby be in it :rolleyes: ;)

He will be there with him in spirit :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote:
    Oh good, so they decided to give him a show anyway ! Good to see him back

That's what I thought.

Two 45-minute game shows - hope that isn't to much.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood why people have thought Noel Edmonds was a prat and other such unpleasent things he gets called.

Personally I've never seen any evidence of this and I have often enjoyed his shows. I'm not going to rely on the opinions of someone like Gary Bushell to decide who I like and who I don't!
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamfocus wrote:
    Is it called Deal or no Deal?

I was in Australia for a fortnight last year and was addicted to their version. Was on every weekday evening.

A brilliantly simple concept that I thought could rival 'Millionaires', and it gets very tense towards the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    I know people who've worked for him and said he was deeply unpleasant and not like his screen persona at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Orion wrote:
    I know people who've worked for him and said he was deeply unpleasant and not like his screen persona at all.

Noel is an absolute Diamond, he's very pleasant and has always been good fun to meet. I speak from personal experiance having met the guy several times. He is only human you know, and probably like the rest of us does have his off days. On the whole though, a very nice gentleman indeed.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    There was a studio recording of one of his "House Party" shows going around a few years ago which showed him, basically, being a grouch to everybody on the set. Not exactly rude, but brusque and sharpish and seemingly very irritable. I believe Victor Lewis-Smith tried to clear it to use in one of his TV shows (probably TV Offal) but couldn't.

Steve
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find him quite creepy though i loved him when i was a child
  • Options
    The NaitchThe Naitch Posts: 10,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new show is only half way through, but I am loving it. Excellent concept and really entertaining.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave it a go, but it's not really my cup of tea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Spanish TV (Tele5) have been running Alla Tu, the Spanish version, for the past two years, when it was launched to take over from Millionaire which had suffered a ratings erosion. The show airs weeknights and has been leader in its time slot (averaging 25% share). The show is now being rivalled by Millionaire, which has since returned and deflected to a rival channel.
  • Options
    gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Noel Tidybeard is a complex soul. He clearly needs to feel loved, but he doesn't seem to like too many individuals in his audience. Towards the end of his House Party run, he got more and more gratuitously nasty. I remember him going to interview someone in the studio audience, and he stopped on the way, said, 'Ooh, you are so FAT!' to a perfectly harmless bloke and then moved on. I thought at the time, 'What a little sh!t!' But I know plenty of people who worked with him who are still friendly with him, so I don't think he's a monster - it depends how well, or badly, his show is going.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I liked it but I think the concept was dragged out a little. Apparently in the original version there's a proper quiz to decide which of the contestant plays the box game. It would be much slicker to add that in at the start and make the box game a little shorter perhaps with less boxes. I can see myself just tuning in to the last 10 minutes only the way it is. Good to see Noel back too I think he did alright.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    The real question is... is there really someone on the end of that phone? Or is Noel himself deciding how much to offer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    This show bows to the old and greedy and has little to commend it. How someone can look so disappointed because they are only being given a few thousand pounds instead of tons more just for sitting on a chair and picking numbers. Why don't they make a programme watching people rubbing off scratch cards to see how much they get. It would be about as much fun.
  • Options
    tomhourigantomhourigan Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently in the original version there's a proper quiz to decide which of the contestant plays the box game. It would be much slicker to add that in at the start and make the box game a little shorter perhaps with less boxes.
    Actually, the Australian version you're talking about tacks on a quiz to the beginning of the show, and then goes through a 26 box process - so the UK version is indeed shorter, but identical to the French and Italian versions, sans quiz.

I have to say, I thought the show was the best game show the UK has seen for a very, very long time - Noel Edmonds cannot really be bettered as choice of host, the game's entertaining, the gameplay and end result will be different every time, and it made a very entertaining watch - and I think the production values pretty much suited the show's timeslot.

Endemol can be proud of themselves for this job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gkmacca wrote:
    Noel Tidybeard is a complex soul. He clearly needs to feel loved, but he doesn't seem to like too many individuals in his audience. Towards the end of his House Party run, he got more and more gratuitously nasty. I remember him going to interview someone in the studio audience, and he stopped on the way, said, 'Ooh, you are so FAT!' to a perfectly harmless bloke and then moved on. I thought at the time, 'What a little sh!t!' But I know plenty of people who worked with him who are still friendly with him, so I don't think he's a monster - it depends how well, or badly, his show is going.

This show is a winner all the way. I did find that Noel looked a little grumpy, not seen him in this frame of mind before, however, with a new show and him wearing an ear piece for the first time and being given directions by the Producer, it's a tad awkward I would imagine, trying to have a conversation with the contestants and listening to someone pass information to you via the Producer. Good show, well worth watching.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Not a bad show, and old Nollie did OK I s'pose. I suspect it might struggle if a contestant takes the first banker offer though, it'll be tough to keep the suspense through the opening of 17 boxes with no choice aspect involved, unless they get another contestant to have a go?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10/10 channel 4 and Noel !!