Clock correction on Panny EH60D/ES20D

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
Forum Member
I have posted this on AVforums too - hope it helps someone.

Here's the solution if your Freeview-equipped Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder is STILL mystifying hanging onto British Summertime. Apologies if anybody else has given this advice at the end of a long thread - I felt impulsively helpful.

Some of you Panasonic owners may have noticed, like me, that the EH60D or ES20D (and most other Panasonics plus many other makes) failed to notice the time change today, despite being on "auto set" for their clocks. This was because BBC's CEEFAX forgot to change until quite late in the day, and that's where most of the clocks are set from.

However, when CEEFAX did change, most of the models except our Freeview models corrected themselves. Ours stayed wrong, along with their EPGs. Even running auto setup for the whole recorder would not correct it - (i.e. as if you were just unpacking a freshly purchased unit and setting it up). What that does do, of course, is jumble up any alterations you'd made to channel order, and lose any profiles you'd set for the EPG. What to do?

The answer: don't do an auto setup; instead, go into functions, setup and disable "Quick Start" under "Others" by setting it to OFF. Switch off the recorder in the usual way with the remote. Wait several minutes and switch it back on. Incidentally that takes *ages* without Quick Start! The clock problem and the EPG then come right. Pop back into Functions and set Quick Start back to ON.

The act of switching off Quick Start temporarily empties the machine's cache, where it was tenaciously hanging on to its wrong-timed EPG and setting the clock from that. Obviously after it's switched on it needs to download all of the new EPG, which takes some minutes - just leave it on a Freeview channel and it should make it.

I hope that helps someone. This step should be useful for getting the EPG updated with the new Sky channel replacing Sky Travel too, as the Panasonic EPG does tend to resist such changes due to its cached nature.

Comments

• TonyLondonTonyLondon Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Hi, as someone who is about to buy a Panasonic your post is very helpful.

Do you think that this performance will have to be carried out every time the clocks change or every time the channels change?

I understand that the quick start function relies on accessing a cache but surely the system would be designed so that the cache regularly updates itself without the user having to do it manually? Or have Panasonic screwed up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HelenS2 wrote:
    I have posted this on AVforums too - hope it helps someone.

Worked for me!

See my postings in the ' Panasonic DMREH60D EBS' thread.

Regards

Gavin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    TonyLondon wrote:
    Hi, as someone who is about to buy a Panasonic your post is very helpful.

Do you think that this performance will have to be carried out every time the clocks change or every time the channels change?

I understand that the quick start function relies on accessing a cache but surely the system would be designed so that the cache regularly updates itself without the user having to do it manually? Or have Panasonic screwed up?

At the moment, I'd think the Quick Start OFF then back ON routine might need to be done every time there's a time change; I may not have the patience to wait and see if new channels percolate through if you just leave it - I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway rather than wait! It's actually quite an easy process now I've discovered it.

In time, Panasonic may well issue a fix - like all Freeview-equipped boxes, the EH60D has the facility to download firmware updates via Freeview signals. It is a minor messup on their part but I'm not too perturbed (I would have been if there was no way to fix it yourself) but I'm feeling forgiving as I really like my EH60D and am aware that it hasn't been on the market for very long (the ES20D a bit longer but both of these were their first to combine Freeview and the Quick Start system, and they came out well after the last time change) so it's apparently something they overlooked.