Options

NTL 10MB Broadband at last!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confused by the wording on the ntl site - so 2meg customers if they want 10 meg have to go for the price increase? there is no information about an upgrade to our service free, so do we get the upgrade to 10meg or not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    y2jollie wrote:
    Confused by the wording on the ntl site - so 2meg customers if they want 10 meg have to go for the price increase? there is no information about an upgrade to our service free, so do we get the upgrade to 10meg or not?
    Looks like we have to pay for it for now to get it.
    2Mb users will be upgraded next year but not sure when that will be.
    Looks like I am going to have a look elsewhere to get some decent speed.. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Is there an alternative supplier of broadband availiable on an NTL phone line ?

As a 2meg user with no upgrade without extra charges and living in an area with no vod I can't see any benefit to be gained by staying with NTL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote:
    The same £50 fee applies if you need to upgrade your old modem as well! So much for a free 10Mb upgrade!

Luckily, I have an ntl:home 120 with the latest firmware upgrade.

since when , everyone i know has had a free modem swap if needed :confused:
  • Options
    Alex_kingsleyAlex_kingsley Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Fastest Download speed I can seem to get is around 610kb/s. Modem is NTL:200 (thats what it says on the bottom anyway) this isn't limited to 5mb, is it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Is it true that if you're connected via USB then you're going to get rubbish speeds? What kind of craziness is this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    does anyone know when 10mb will be publicly available for 2mb customers (not having to pay the £37.99 m/o to get it)?

I live in the Luton/Dunstable area
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    since when , everyone i know has had a free modem swap if needed :confused:
    Have you looked at the "10" webpages?

http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/10/faq.php

Which cable modems support the full power of 10Mb?

All new Cable Modems that are installed have the capability to supply 10Mb Broadband, but there are other conditions as outlined in these FAQs which may affect the speed.

A very small number of our older modems are capable of supporting download speeds up to 5.5Mb. Go to www.ntlworld.com/upgrade to find out more information. If you wish we will visit your home to upgrade your modem so that you can benefit from the full power of ntl 10Mb Broadband (subject to £50 upgrade charge).

What happens if I get Broadband through a set-top box?

Download speeds are dependent upon equipment capability. Currently the set-top box is capable of supporting speeds up to 5Mb, so that is the maximum speed you would receive after an upgrade to the new 10Mb service.

For 3Mb customers this is still almost double the current speed and at no extra cost. We are also more that doubling the monthly usage allowance from 30GB to 75GB, reducing the price by £3 per month and giving Broadband Plus content worth £30 free of charge.

We can also visit your home to upgrade your equipment so that you can experience the full power of ntl 10Mb Broadband (subject to £50 upgrade charge). For more information visit www.ntlworld.com/stb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DrVenkman wrote:
    Is it true that if you're connected via USB then you're going to get rubbish speeds? What kind of craziness is this?

it used to be a case of that when ppl were using slower machines , bigger overheads , with todays faster machines it should not be a problem :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote:

no i aint , i still dont know of anyone being charged for it though , or it may be a case of ppl needing to go faster than 1 mb on a pace stb :o:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    will the pricing stay the same, or will everyone have to pay £34.99??
    Zenith wrote:
    And it didn't say anything about when it will be upgraded to 10mb automatically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I rang NTL tonight and asked about being upgraded to 10MB and told him that I tried the Tier migration page and nothing happened and he said I was already on 10MB well after checking im not.

I've looked at the modem config and its still saying im on 3MB so why did the bloke say I was on 10MB when he can see im not.

I have also rebooted my modem several times and nothing.

Any ideas cheers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    That will do me, don't suppose we're gonna run at max full time......................

http://img16.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc50&image=d1c_Screen02.JPG
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So i dont have to trawl through 16 pages of thread...

Any news on the current 1mb subscribers or is it just that we have to wait for 'Late 2006' for 10mb?

I know obviosuly it is going to be no time soon but I just thought that now 10mb is an official speepd, there might be a bit more of an accurate month....
  • Options
    njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    Floog666 wrote:
    I rang NTL tonight and asked about being upgraded to 10MB and told him that I tried the Tier migration page and nothing happened and he said I was already on 10MB well after checking im not.

I've looked at the modem config and its still saying im on 3MB so why did the bloke say I was on 10MB when he can see im not.

I have also rebooted my modem several times and nothing.

Any ideas cheers.

Yes I have rang and I was told I'm on 10meg. He double checked and I was 'definitely on 10meg'. The modem config pages say 3meg :(

Seems like I'll have to wait...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Lizard1978 wrote:
    Yeah its free I just installed it, but it only shows you what current bandwidth your using, not your max/current available.

You can select it to display in the options what bandwidth you have used in month/week/day etc, and it also keeps your history.

Also its only a 30day trial however there is ways around that *cough*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I have the 120 too. How can I tell what my firmware is and what is the latest?
    I get between 800k and 2000.
    On 2MB I got a steady 2000.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    sj wrote:
    I have the 120 too. How can I tell what my firmware is and what is the latest?
    I get between 800k and 2000.
    On 2MB I got a steady 2000.

Go here http://192.168.100.1/ and use ROOT for username and password.

The latest firmware for your modem is ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr.

Not sure where exactly you will find that info as i'm using an NTL 250 modem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Thanks - knew about the 'root' thing but didn't know what the latest one was. Mine has it..
  • Options
    njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    I have rung again and been told I have to wait for my area to be upgraded to 10meg. He said at first I'll go to about 5meg and then slowly creep up to 10meg in the new year... right now according to http://www.irishisptest.com/ I am on a 2.96meg line although the internet feels quite slow in usage... sites take a while to connect etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    :) I was peeded off that as a 2 Mb customer I didn't get any upgrade but when I read this forum it looks like I am better off!! :D:D:D

Hope it gets all sorted for you guys and when it does I will be peeded off again for not getting a better service!! I shoud get atleast get 4 or 8 Mb!!

NTL... ******** :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    This is my first post.

Got my 10Mb upgrade yesterday (12th Dec 05) from Ntl.
    Had a couple of hiccups initially with my Ambit 120 modem shutting off every couple of mins. I had received the firmware update from NTL but everdently it was corrupt, so after a quick call to tech services, they reset my modem & resent the firmware update & Hey Presto! All up and running.
    I bit touchy at first, speeds abit eractic, but steady now.

Adsl Speed Test results: Downstream 9142 kbps (1,142.8 KB/sec
    9873 kbps (inc overheads)

Upstream 480 kbps (60.0 KB/sec
    518 kbps (inc overheads)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Bolton, North Manchester now at 10Meg.

F
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Well im in Bedford on an old Motorola 3100 Modem and every test i have run says im still on 3mbit :(
    I have even phoned Ntl about changing the modem and all they say is there is a £50 charge for doing this, which seems kind of unfair considering the modems are rented.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    We had our STB changed to the new Samsung one about 9-12 months ago. So when we got the letter saying a £50 upgrade charge was required to get in excess of 5Mbps I took this as the necessary push to reduce our NTL subscription.

We recently bought a Topfield Freeview PVR which we really like and, as all the channels we watch are on Freeview anyway, took the decision to cancel our NTL TV subscription.

NTL wanted to take the STB box but because we were keeping our internet subscription going we got a new 250 modem. So we got the desired result without paying the £50 charge and, technically, we're now a new internet customer (have to cancel internet under STB and start again as internet with cable modem) so may even get some new customer promos.

F