Options

FAQ (Some of them)

Comments

• Options
    brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to mfmf, kansas and whisper for their appreciative comments and taking over the baton.

I will alter my web page to advise people to refer to whisper's site for the cumulative list as well.

I see whisper's last post has mangled his web address as it did when I tried to quote it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    The link is correct when clicked on. I guess it's the forum software that sets a maximum http link length.
  • Options
    brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whisper wrote:
    The link is correct when clicked on. I guess it's the forum software that sets a maximum http link length.

Thanks whisper. My page has now been changed to delete the content and refer to yours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New FAQ

Q0086: Icons missing and/or games icon in the main menu. No access no recorded programmes.

A0086: (Source: From 'record icon disappeared!!' thread)
    This has become known as the IFAP bug (I Forgot I'm A PVR). Sometimes this can be fixed by powering off the unit with the switch on the rear. This fault can signify that the hard drive or its connections have become loose and need to be re-seated. Contact Humax to get the unit checked and repaired.

(Source: MGBRoadster post from 'record icon disappeared!!' thread)
    Humax's suggestion for the missing "Record" icon was:

"Please turn the model off at the plug, unplug the model and then turn it back on again after 5-10 minutes. Then do a default setting."
    This didn't work in my case so they said:
    "It seems that there is either a problem with the HDD connections or a fault with the HDD"
    The PVR is going away for repair as soon as they can arrange for a courier (which is difficult at this time of year).
    It seems possible that the missing "Record" icon is an early warning sign of hard drive failure.

(Source: Gomezz post from 'record icon disappeared!!' thread)
    Or that the data or power cable to the hard drive is loose. Easily checkable and fixable if you don't mind taking the lid of the box yourself (and invalidating the warranty).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New FAQ

Q0087: What firmware fixes are Humax working on?

A0087: (Source: 22DEC2005 - Post 30 by N.S.Simpson from ' Is the Humax PVR-9200T the best PVR????' thread on AVForums)

Hi guys, so far here is the response from Humax:
    - Inability to “Chase Play”
    We do intend to introduce this feature with a software update.
    - 20 programme timer limit
    We do plan to increase this to 40 or 50.
    - 5Gb mpeg limit
    This may not be possible as we would need to change the partition of the HDD; and this would mean users would loose all recordings.
    - No automatic record schedule “padding” in case the programme starts or ends at an unexpected time (ie live sport running over schedule) I realise that you can manually adjust this but I have found out that the recording is then titled with the first programme it’s recording according to the EPG with no option to select the next programme in the EPG.
    I think if you do manually set up a recording that runs over say three programmes in the EPG you should have the option of calling the recording any of those programme titles plus a custom one if you want to specify your own name
    We do intend to include this in a software update.
    - No TAP support for third party add ons although not a major issue if the manufacturers software is ok
    No plans to introduce.
    Unfortunately I cannot confirm when all of the fixes and changes will be in place; but we are hoping to have some of them in the next 2 months.

(Source: 22DEC2005 - Post 32 by N.S.Simpson from ' Is the Humax PVR-9200T the best PVR????' thread on AVForums)
    - Will Humax give information regarding how to reformat the HDD on the understanding that everything on it will be lost
    Why does the box need a partition? Can’t you save mpegs on the same partition as the saved recordings without a partition?
    If it will be possible to change the software to allow you to use some space for MP3 and JPEG files without changing the partition then this will be the solution that we will go for. However it is not a high priority at the current time. I am unsure why there is a partition on the HDD.
    - Will the PC connectivity via USB be improved? I’ve heard that there are several issues with this feature at the moment.
    The transfer rate is 8-10Mb/s; the main issue is that the E-Linker software does not do any error checking/correction. This will be improved.
    - Is there any way of connecting the Humax directly to a network without having to install it via a PC?
    I am not aware at the current time as we have not tested any other methods than USB cable.
    - When the Humax is connected to a PC is it possible to play movies or music directly from the PC’s HDD?
    This is not possible, you do need to transfer the files.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update to FAQ

Q0037: When will Humax release an update to the firmware?

A0037: (Source: 30DEC2005 - Post 319 by NickKey on Humax PVR9200T thread at AVForums)
    Had an email from Humax today, said an OTA update will be available in Jan for the pvr9200t.

21st Nov 2005 -> Revision PGXTF1.00.01 is available to manually download via the RS232 port.

(Source: Post 2474 by Videoditcher to MS98’s ‘Dual Tuner…’ thread.9NOV2005)
    HUMAX: We do not have a release date for any (OTA) software at the current time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    whisper wrote:
    Update to FAQ

A0037: (Source: 30DEC2005 - Post 319 by NickKey on Humax PVR9200T thread at AVForums)
    Had an email from Humax today, said an OTA update will be available in Jan for the pvr9200t.

21st Nov 2005 -> Revision PGXTF1.00.01 is available to manually download via the RS232 port.

(Source: Post 2474 by Videoditcher to MS98’s ‘Dual Tuner…’ thread.9NOV2005)
    HUMAX: We do not have a release date for any (OTA) software at the current time.
    What is gonna be on this update though????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Found the help i needed to access the navigation buttons when in EDIT MODE of recorded programmes :)

Cheers brian and whisper n others for great F.A.Q...

calamero
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update to FAQ.

Q0081: ‘Standby’ acting strangely. EPG stays populated. Box comes out of ‘Standby’ without delay. Does not go into proper standby mode when asked. Hard Drive keeps spinning. False message in response to some commands says ‘Cannot do the requested action while recording’.

A0081: (Post 2 by Barry to 'EPG remains populated thread' 17DEC2005)
    Named ‘Thinks I am recording’ bug. Due to a bug, the 9200T thinks it is continuously recording.
    Workaround is to go into ‘Standby’ then switch off using the toggle switch on the back the of box.

Symptoms of this bug are: disk still spinning when on standby, instant startup from standby, and PiP unavailable.

(Post 11 by Spoon261 to 'PiP problem thread' 01DEC2005)
    The way I found the problem was when I switched in to standby the hardrive did not switch off, also when you switch it on it comes on immediatly and the EPG is fully loaded. I double instant recorded and double scheduled recorded while in standby (recorded 2 things at once perfectly) to try to clear the fault, nothing worked. Pressing the stop button reconed their were no recordings going on. I did not try the on/off switch at the back since I new that would work from other people. I then tried reseting the box back to default settings in the installation menu and that fixed it, but also erased all my settings and recording schedule.

(Post 20 by Spoon261 to 'PiP problem thread' 08DEC2005)
    It happens every time I have 2 scheduled recordings on different muxes starting at the same time (although different start times may also do this), while watching another channel on the same mux. For me there's no longer any question - Recorded 'Rome' on BBC2 and 'Most Haunted' on FTN yesterday, while watching 'life in the undergrowth' on BBC1, all started at the same time. 'Rome' finished first, and as soon as the second recording finished I checked PIP - saw the 'not available during recording' as expected. I of course had checked before the recordings started that PIP was working, and after a reboot it was again, until the next occasion.

New FAQ.

Q0088: Can the Humax buffer two channels simultaneously?

A0088: The Humax can buffer two channels simultaneously using the PiP/PaP feature. As long as there are no current recordings.

(Source: 12JAN2006 - Post 6 by calamero from ' New feature ..i've just discovered a way to buffer 2 seperate channels at same time' thread)
    1..you're watching a show ...if you're live and have say 60 mins buffered you can open pip, swap views then switch channels ..even having sound on channels ur going thru, then when you're done, swap view back to channel you started with and leave pip, buffer is maintained..no need to pause beforehand etc....

2..If your watching from buffer ie..your watching bbc1 1 hour behind live tv...you can enter pip,switch channels using the pip channel changer on remote,leave pip after a while without losing buffer or your viewing position 1 hour behind live tv.

The complete list of FAQs can be found at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/whisper/questions&answers.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has already been covered

Question: How can I watch video/listen to radio recordings on my iPod.
    Answer: I use Xilsoft's iPod Video conversion software. Copy the file from the PVR in the normal manner and rename to the '.mpg' ending. Open up the iPod Video Convert programme, load up your file, and select the '.m4v' or '.m4a' for video/radio accordingly. Hit the encode and sit back for a bit. Import the file into iTunes as usual.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New FAQ.

Q0089: How can I watch video/listen to radio recordings on my iPod.

A0089: (Source: 16JAN2006 - Post 236 by cwips from 'FAQ (Some of them' thread)
    I use Xilsoft's iPod Video conversion software. Copy the file from the PVR in the normal manner and rename to the '.mpg' ending. Open up the iPod Video Convert programme, load up your file, and select the '.m4v' or '.m4a' for video/radio accordingly. Hit the encode and sit back for a bit. Import the file into iTunes as usual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Few FAQ.

Q0090: What software can I use to convert & create DVD's from recorded programs?

A0090: (Source: 07JAN2006 - Post 497 by Roy22 from 'Using the Humax PVR-9200T with a PC' thread)
    Here is a free and fast converter for turning the Humax's Transport Stream format into the Program Stream wanted by most media players and DVD authoring software, which I don't think anyones posted here before. It's HDTVtoMPEG2 and you can download it here:
    http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~balazer/...EG2_1.11.83.zip
    A mere 0.5Mb download, it converts a 1 hour program from TS to PS format in a couple of minutes, as well as having some other functions I haven't messed with yet.
    Just 'Add' your chosen file (I added the '.ts' extension first), select the Output File Type as 'Mpeg2' and tick the 'Channel' box it offers you, then select 'Process'.
    A couple of minutes later you have a nice PS format file which Windows Media Player likes, and which you can edit and burn to DVD as you wish with Nero 7, and no doubt many other packages too.

(Source: 17JAN2006 - Post 8 by aps2011 from 'Does anyone have the definitive guide to PC transfer and DVD authoring?' thread)
    I use a similar process for the PVR transport stream to DVD with Project X, DVD AuthorGUI and Nero 5.5. Occasionally I use Muxman to re-multiplex and Ifoedit to set the proper colours for subtitles (see later). All but Nero are free and Nero was bundled with the PC a couple of years ago.
    Perhaps I am one of a small minority that wants to keep subtitles on the DVD. I looked at VideoReDo and whilst some of the features were nice, it didn't appear to handle the subtitle stream.
    Project X allows for setting cut points for adverts, start, & stop. Finding them doesn't take too long with a bit of practice. (Say 2 or 3 minutes for a 90 min. film.) Processing to video, sound and subtitles streams is quick - average 7 minutes for 90 minute film. (2 Ghz Pentium 4.) With a bit more set-up time Project X can be used to set chapters for the DVD to make navigation a bit smarter. (For use with Muxman; not used with DVDAuthorGui which has its own method.)
    DVDAuthorGui is very straightforward. (It is a graphical interface to a set of DOS exe files.) Select the video, the sound, the subtitle file (if required), state the language and press 'author'. It takes about 8 minutes for the standard 90 min film. The program also lets you create menus - especially useful if you put several programmes on one DVD. The output is a folder with the correct DVD structure (AUDEO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders). This is suitable for reviewing with a PC based DVD player such as WinDVD.
    It may be possible to use Project X's post processing facility to run DVDAuthor. I haven't tried as it is so quick and easy to get going from the GUI.
    With Nero it is simply a matter of selecting a 'new' video DVD, dragging the video files into Nero's VIDEO_TS folder and burning. Time taken depends on size of file and DVD write speed.
    As I mentioned above, I like to keep subtitles (I am severly deaf) and having them selectable via the DVD control let me follow the film but my wife can view the same film at another time and see the whole picture. This is much better than the result that would occur if using real-time output to a DVD recorder.
    I haven't had any problems with sound going out of sync - I use a combination of residual hearing and lip reading so I am quite sensitive to sync errors.
    In summary, the freeware solution isn't too demanding, is reasonable quick and lets you check quality during the process, thus also saves on otherwise wasted DVDs.

(Source: 17JAN2006 - Post 9 by Caoimhghin from 'Does anyone have the definitive guide to PC transfer and DVD authoring?' thread)
    DVR Studio Pro (commercial)
    Results in video/audio synchronisation errors in cases where the original transport stream file has any transmission/ interference glitches.
    VideoReDoPlus (commercial)
    Better than DVR Studio Pro with no synchronisation errors. However, I have found video/audio breakup where it has "over" compensated for synchronisation errors.
    HDTVtoMPEG2 (freeware)
    Does not correct all synchronisation errors. Does not produce a "standard" MPEG2 file which may prove problematical when converting further down the chain to DVD.
    ProjectX (freeware)
    This is, in my opinion, the best program for converting TS files to MPEG2, whether you are de-muxing or producing a re-muxed M2P (MPEG2) it results in the closest quality to the original file.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Having created a favourite channel list, is it possible to get this to display by default, rather than having to press a couple more buttons/arrows? It seems a bit silly to create a list and not then be able to use it easily.

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Harold2 wrote:
    Having created a favourite channel list, is it possible to get this to display by default, rather than having to press a couple more buttons/arrows? It seems a bit silly to create a list and not then be able to use it easily.

Thanks

Press "OK" then press right arrow, then scrolldown to favourite, then press "OK", then choose favourite by pressing "Ok" again, and then (guess what) press "OK" again on the channel list and you should have a your channel selection permanently set to your favourute from that point on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See FAQ76, as described by stonehenge8 above.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/whisper/qatips.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New FAQ.

Q0091: PC will not connect to Humax with USB.

A0091: (Source: 12JAN2006 - Post 1 by crazy_eyes from 'PVR 9200t Will not connect to PC' thread)
    I have installed Media eLinker 2.1 and connected PVR to PC.
    It found new hardware and installed the drivers. I started eLinker and clicked connect but it keeps saying:
    Initialization of receiver failed! Restart receiver.
    A restart has the same result. I have tried 3 different USB cables and 6 different USB ports and uninstalled the software and re-installed, but the thing just will not connect. All cables and ports work fine with other USB devices.
    I cannot see anything in device manger relating to the Humax PVR and there is no extra drive in My Computer.
    I have tried everything I can think of and have e-mailed Humax support but got no reply yet.
    When I make the connection with the PVR it makes two quick sounds as if its starting a USB device then sometimes it makes a sound as if its dis-connecting a USB device.

(Source: 12JAN2006 - Post 8 by crazy_eyes from 'PVR 9200t Will not connect to PC' thread)
    I finally got the damn thing working.I uninstalled eLinker (again) then restarted PC (again).
    I then looked through the registry and deleted anything that I thought was relating to the Humax. (hope I havn't ruined anything else in the process).I restarted PC and re-installed eLinker and restarted again.
    I took out all USB devices from PC then connected the PVR and switched it on. WinXP found the device but said there was an invalid inf file. So I carried out the same procedure again.
    This time no error came up. Connected PVR and switched it on and WinXP found device and installed the drivers.
    It made the customary beep when it connected then it made the USB dis-connection sound. (back to square one I thought). Any way I started eLinker and got the same error as before, so I restarted the PVR it made the USB connection sound then it displayed the clock and made the USB dis-connection sound.
    So I switched the PVR on to BBC 1 and clicked eLinker's connect button and the bugger worked! Uploaded a 2.8gig file from PVR in 25mins no problem.
    Still no reply from Humax though. I wish they would have fitted an ethernet port instead of USB.
    Incidently I noticed the second time round that the eLinker setup advises that you remove all USB devices before installing. Whether this caused my original problem I don't know as I had my printer and scanner plugged in the first time but only my scanner was on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press "OK" then press right arrow, then scrolldown to favourite, then press "OK", then choose favourite by pressing "Ok" again, and then (guess what) press "OK" again on the channel list and you should have a your channel selection permanently set to your favourute from that point on.
    Does everyone lose that when they go onto News Multiscreen or an "interactive" programme on BBCi. It seems to return me to TV list, as opposed to my all channels one.
  • Options
    MeMe Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brian9200T wrote:
    Thanks for the compliments.

For my next cumulative post I will put the 'Contents;
    in one post and 20 FAQs in each of subsequent posts. Readers will just have to identify the post they are interested in in the first post, and then look it up in the block of 20 below.

Hopefully the number of FAQs will die down now the first buyers have checked it out.

Keep up the good work Brian - I have not yet bought the box (though I'm about to) and these FAQs have really helped me find what it will and won't do - much better than the manual (which I've downloaded from Humax's website).

Others who find the thread unwieldy might like to do what I've done - copied and pasted the latest full version into a word document and then added further posts which I felt might be useful.

I now have my own copy which I can search and edit as I want.

I do agree, however, that the latest version should be post 1 - if Brian is unable to do this himself, could not the mods do it for him as and when necessary?

Peter

Edit - Whoops - I wrote this while I was reading page 3 and realise that this is now outdated as Brian is not carrying on.

My comments still hold good though.

Peter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Does everyone lose that when they go onto News Multiscreen or an "interactive" programme on BBCi. It seems to return me to TV list, as opposed to my all channels one.

Thats because News Multiscreen etc. are on Channel 300 and something and I assume that it's outside your Favourite's channels.

The way around that is maybe to have the interactive channels on your favourites, but that also makes a favourite list cumbersome to flick through and may defeat the purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New FAQ.

Q0092: Can video be transfered from a PC to the Humax?

A0092: (Source: 22DEC2005 - Post 12 by brian9200t from 'Copy media from PC to Humax' thread)
    - make your new recording of a TV programme with a short one-word name.
    - Play it back
    then...
    - note the name given to it by the Humax
    - Rename a backed up file on your PC to match using elinker
    - upload it to the humax.
    - Play it on the Humax
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Revised FAQ

A0037: (Source: 30JAN2006 - Post 1 by MarcDavis on 'Beta software' thread at Digital Spy forums)
    For those interested in recent postings the last software available for testing was Beta 3 or PGXTF10003 which has been available for a few weeks. Beta 2 from last November/december had at least one techncial problem that needed to be resolved for Beta 3 to do with the EPG navigation, as someone mentioned here previously.
    I spotted one issue in beta 3 and so that will need to be fixed for the next round of beta testing.

I tested for and found the following bugs were fixed in the current beta:
    Radio recording from standby bug
    No sound on second recording bug
    MP3 playback via digital optical out

I also noticed that the name of the recording in the schedule information does not change when adding padding to the beginning time.

The issue I reported to Humax was when in the Guide: if a scheduled recording starts you are sent out of the guide. Humax are currently working on the fixes for beta3 – I don’t know what they all are; the issue with MP3s downloading on the Humax and software changes to the MHEG engine. I don’t know what else they are working on. Hopefully a new version will be available in the next week or 2 as Humax want a software release for the PVR in February.

Probably wont be the only bug/issues fix release but it makes sense for them to release as many bug fixes as possible and then make them available, and then carry on with any remaining bug fixes for another release.

Bug/issues fixes are the priority however that doesn’t mean they don’t want to look at feature changes. I had recently provided a top 10 features wish list to Humax and comparing it to the one Humax compiled from their customer contact database they look almost the same. To be able to include these Humax will be working on several releases between February and May.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    whisper wrote:
    I've created a full list of questions under the category 'List all', so visitors should be able to search for a phrase/word from their browser.
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/whisper/questions&answers.html

I've also started a 'known bugs' section on the comments/bugs page. I will only add bugs here which I believe are caused by the firmware - and thus can be fixed with an OTA.

Just returned to this site after a number of weeks out of interest (My hummy's great so I've spent time using it rather than finding fault!).

I have to say Whispers site is excellent and I will be forwarding the link to two of my works colleagues who are hummy owners asap. Found loads of unknown tips even though I've owned since last september. Fantastic - keep up the good work and thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Derek S wrote:
    Just returned to this site after a number of weeks out of interest (My hummy's great so I've spent time using it rather than finding fault!).

LOL. Using the Hummy? Now there's a thought...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    scoggy wrote:
    LOL. Using the Hummy? Now there's a thought...

Mmmm - Are you on the right Site? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Is there a guide to using ProjectX with the Humax. I cannot find documentation on how to use ProjectX. I get two output files when I demux (m2v and wav) but dont know what to do from here. I have Nero 6 and would like to define a repeatable process for getting films from the Humax to a proper MPEG2 file and on to DVD but seem to be missing some vital info. Is there a noddy's guide or FAQ? cos I feel quite dumb at the moment.

Any help would be good!