In praise of Craig Revel Horwood

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The one thing that annoys me about SCD is the booing from the audience when the judges, particularly Craig and Arlene, deliver criticism.

The booing isn't as bad as on the X Factor, which I now find unwatchable for lots of reasons, but especially because Simon Cowell is beseiged by boos whenever he makes a negative comment. Sometimes it seems to be getting that way on SCD. Pipe down, boo-ers!

I don't always agree with Craig, and sometimes I do think he tries to live up to the "role" he's been given (bitch sitting at the end, contractually obliged to disagree with Len Goodman). I also think it's too easy for him to forget that the slebs are (mostly) untrained dancers with commitments outside of the rehearsal room.

BUT most of time time I think he's speaking honestly and with a lot of sense. It's very important that he's there, otherwise the whole thing would descend into lovey-dovey farce. If Fiona Phillips is cr@p, it kind of has to be said. All the "oh she's improving, I'd love to see her in the final two" nonsense on ITT this week REALLY wound me up.

And I am interested enough in dancing to want to know the faults and the flaws as well as the good bits. Craig's comments shed light on mistakes in a routine that I wouldn't otherwise have noticed. You do learn a lot from what he says.

I like Craig because he's honest, well-informed, and doesn't suck up to the slebs. I admire people who don't suffer fools, and Craig certainly does not. I'd rather hear his comments over Len Goodman's schmoozy flattery any day.

Does anyone agree with me?? :o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the booing from the audience was just pantomime really. There's seems to be more dissent amongst the judges, the way they constantly talk over each other is so rude.
    But most of the time I think all the judges and something informative to say about the dances.

I don't think Craig has much range in his scoring, I find Brunos scores most consistent, but that's only because I can usually predict his score.

One thing that has always bugged me about craig is he NEVER claps when they've finished dancing, even when it gets 9/10's. All the others do. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eclipse80 wrote:
    One thing that has always bugged me about craig is he NEVER claps when they've finished dancing, even when it gets 9/10's. All the others do. :mad:

Good point... a few more manners might make his comments easier to take.
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Craig does clap sometimes.

I think Craig is great. The only judge I don't like that much is Arlene; she is very conceited and has an annoying tendency to launch to into a rant at the slightest provocation (and she shouts all the time).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's just been wheeled on as a kind of Simon Cowell lite but has got ideas above his station. The boy also needs to ease up on the botox. His face is unpleasantly plasticky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig does clap sometimes.

does he?!? I can honestly say I have never seen him do it
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,529
    Forum Member
    I like Craig and he speaks a lot of sense most of time - and he does clap sometimes but it has to be like 10/10.

Like with the X-Factor, the audience really annoy me STOP the BOOS please - they make it panto not the judges
  • Kez100Kez100 Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig spoke a lot of sense on ITT this week. I just wish, given all the effort that is put in each week that each judge be given more time to say what they want. A couple of decent comments only get through for what, 20 hours work? Perhaps there would be less shouting above each other then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Well said Kez, I find the way judges are rushed through their comments really annoying. Why not allow a bit more time for the show and let the judges actually complete a sentence?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said Kez, I find the way judges are rushed through their comments really annoying. Why not allow a bit more time for the show and let the judges actually complete a sentence?

Because then Bruce wouldn't have any time for his innanities! :D You've got to have him demonstrate a hold or tell a lengthy story, because otherwise the show would just be boring and no one would watch it! [/sarcasm]

I agree that the judges should have more time to make their comments, it really annoys me when they don't get the time to say what they need to about each couple. Arlene in particular gets shouted down a lot of the time by the rest of the judges and Bruce, and it really annoys me. She's got as much right to her opinion as the men do, but they squash her all the time. I might not always agree with her, but she's usually talking sense. Same with Craig. I really respect his opinion, because he always tries to be honest. It's just he's mean honest whereas Len is kind honest. I usually think his marks are the fairest, and you know that if you get an 8 or a 9 from him, it really means something.

I've seen him clap on quite a few occasions. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    I think Burno has favorites and he gives them high scores regared less of whether their proformace is good or bad I agreed with what caraig said and james and camilla on it takes two
  • GeenyGeeny Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig is intelligent and feels no need to pander to or pointlessly praise anyone. However if you listen he has good advice and does praise when called for
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xadie wrote:
    Because then Bruce wouldn't have any time for his innanities!

*shudder*

Craig was spot on in last night's show. Smart, well-informed, constructive, and absolutely objective. I'm so glad he's on the panel. Imagine if it were just Len and Bruno??

And he DOES clap where applause is warranted: there's absolutely no faulting his manners.

What I do find insulting is when judges and contestant appeal to the viewers on anything other than merit, such as when Denis asked for all the northern Irish votes. Denis seems a nice chap, but come on - appealing for the regional vote just makes a joke of the whole thing.

Craig and Arlene seem to be the only two judges who really are judging a dance competition. Bruno, and especially Len, tend to indulge the contestants.

I think the judges were given a little more time last night, but they were still shouted down (often by each other). I'd love to see a whole programme in which the judges can assess the performances properly, pointing out the good, the bad, the difficult steps, the improvements etc, and comparing different performances. I'd find that genuinely interesting and informative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Personally, i think Craig is the most honest and, therefore, best judge. he speaks a lot of sense, whereas Len and Bruno just praise the celebs for what is often a rubbish dance. Craig gives them criticism that is supposed to help them improve, and after being on ITT on thursday, lots of people now see where he's coming from.

And like other people have said, when they get an 8 or 9 from Craig, they know they've really earned it. to me, a 9 from Len wouldnt really mean that much, seeing as he gave Fiona better scores than some of the other dances when she was undoubtedly the worst.

it's nice to finally see that viewers are listening to Craig at last, and are starting to respect his opinion more.

(oh yes, and i really fancy him!!!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Couldn't agree more, lady-muck. Craig has genuinely honest comment to make most of the time and after all, he's there to judge dancing, not favourite people from tv programs, athletics, cricket or whatever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Eclipse80. Oh, yes, he claps. Not often and never for nothing, but he does clap.
  • ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady-muck wrote:

I think the judges were given a little more time last night, but they were still shouted down (often by each other). I'd love to see a whole programme in which the judges can assess the performances properly, pointing out the good, the bad, the difficult steps, the improvements etc, and comparing different performances. I'd find that genuinely interesting and informative.

there was more time last nightdue to there now being less performers i suppose

i would also love to see a show like you are describing. maybe on a sunday for an hour, the judges can go through the previous nights performances.

they could highlight where particularly difficult moves were attempted, how they should be done (if by a pro) and maybe where they did something in practice but weren't so good on the night.

maybe a short part could have the pros describing why they chose the music and choreography

and also bring in the dancers that have left to comment along with the judges, they'd give a different point of view.

right. i'm off to the bbc to commission this ;)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I'm agreeing as well, I think there's a refreshing honesty about him, he can be harsh, but I think 90% of the time he's making extremely good points, Arlene also is often unfairly shouted down, time and time again she's actually making very constructive points and pointing out weaknesses that they can work on for the next week, those with a brain listen (e.g. Darren and Lilia and the bowling fingers)
  • The Lady BozThe Lady Boz Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with Lady M about Craig RH, I think Claudia's interview with him the other night showed us that he really does know what he is talking about as he is a choreographer just like Arlene Phillips amd Bruno. OK, Len is the real 'ballroom person' but the others are very, very knowledgeable.

Anyone ever notice that Bruno nearly always gives the same marks as Len?

Or, is it me?
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    It isn't just you - Craig & Arlene tend to mark within a point of each other and so Len & Bruno.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Kez100 wrote:
    Craig spoke a lot of sense on ITT this week. I just wish, given all the effort that is put in each week that each judge be given more time to say what they want. A couple of decent comments only get through for what, 20 hours work? Perhaps there would be less shouting above each other then.

I found it quite annoying in the first weeks when Brucie rushed the judges, but he still got to say his jokes, which sometimes are not funny, or constructive. This extra time could have been spent on judges' comments.

It is one thing that annoys me about the show.

I think Craig is a very good judge. Like someone said, a decent mark from Craig means alot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Geeny wrote:
    Craig is intelligent and feels no need to pander to or pointlessly praise anyone. However if you listen he has good advice and does praise when called for

:rolleyes: A bit out of order with the 'Zoe and Ian should have children' remark, especially as dear old Norman was in the room. But you can see his point even with that as they do look like the perfect couple...................
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I'm agreeing as well, I think there's a refreshing honesty about him, he can be harsh, but I think 90% of the time he's making extremely good points, Arlene also is often unfairly shouted down, time and time again she's actually making very constructive points and pointing out weaknesses that they can work on for the next week, those with a brain listen (e.g. Darren and Lilia and the bowling fingers)
    A point well made he is an excellent judge and has been since the first show, people need to listen more to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Craig is sweet he is not sitting on the panel for northing he is there to do his job he is a very honest person and he does take any crap from nobody
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a Craig fan since day one .. I like people who speak their minds fearlessly ... but might I add a small morselette of support for Arlene .. she can be hyper-critical at times, but she can also be quick to acknowledge those who take note of her advice and try to correct faults she's pointed out to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Craig is great :D He doesn't mind if everyone hates him for being honest, he just tells it like it is. Yes, he does criticise, but he also gives compliments when they're earned. Great judge :)