Options

Christmas Radio Times

Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,101
Forum Member
I know it's sad but does anyone else still look forward to the Christmas edition of the Radio Times. (and still go through it and highlight the programmes that you don't want to miss) :o

Comments

• Options
    tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes I do :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do

We used to but The Radio Times every week but now it's been relegated to the Chistmas Issue

I look forward to it :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so do i! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    Me too! I wonder if David Tennant will be on the front this year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stuart62 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing too , would I be right in saying that if he does it will be the first time that Dr Who has featured on the cover of the Christmas Radio Times?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking through a little cubbyhole today and I saw the last 3 or 4 years Christmas Radio Times I have kept. I will look through them later in the week to feel nostagic.
  • Options
    zebedeezebedee Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when it was just the Radio and TV Times. The first clue they were coming was the bunching up of the preceding two weeks or so.
    When will the double issue start from, the 17th or 24th of December ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:

I doubt it; for the last twenty odd years, there has been a Christmas themed painting on the Christmas cover: Father Christmas, Christmas Trees etc.

I look forward to the Christmas Radio Times but no pen ever goes near it; I have kept the Christmas copies of the Radio Times since 1991 :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will probably the 17th and they will have a day or two extra to cover the New Year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Colebox wrote:
    I doubt it; for the last twenty odd years, there has been a Christmas themed painting on the Christmas cover: Father Christmas, Christmas Trees etc.

I look forward to the Christmas Radio Times but no pen ever goes near it; I have kept the Christmas copies of the Radio Times since 1991 :o

The only departure recently from the Christmas scene was the Harry Potter cover in 2000!

http://www.tvradiobits.co.uk/tellyyears/christmas00s.htm
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I do. Don't most people?

:)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work part time for Soaplife magazine. The editor of TV Times is the husband of the deputy head of Soaplife - i know them well. And the double issue will be from 17th December - it will be on sale sometime in the week of Monday 5th Dec. :) All the issue dates change at Christmas..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    I was wondering the same thing too , would I be right in saying that if he does it will be the first time that Dr Who has featured on the cover of the Christmas Radio Times?

Yes, although it's not the first time Doctor Who has been shown on Christmas Day (the last time being back in the early days of William Hartnell).

As Colebox pointed out, it's usually a picture of Santa or something. However, this is the first time they've had something like Doctor Who on Christmas Day as one of their main "pulls" so who knows? (No pun intended! :))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Christmas Radio Times! Out comes my highlighter pen and everything to watch or video is marked!!

I'm getting excited just thinking about it! :D
  • Options
    comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO, NO, NO!!! Billie in a skimpy little Mrs Clause suite please.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maskmud wrote:
    I love the Christmas Radio Times! Out comes my highlighter pen and everything to watch or video is marked!!

I'm getting excited just thinking about it! :D

Me too, But if my Partner goes anywhere near it before i have looked or marked everything i want to watch or i want to video, GOD HELP HIM :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    sally1978 wrote:
    Me too, But if my Partner goes anywhere near it before i have looked or marked everything i want to watch or i want to video, GOD HELP HIM :D:D:D

That's pretty much how it is in my house. I have to clear the whole evening so I can dedicate myself entirely to the RT. For me the bumber Christmas issue marks the start of Christmas celebrations!
  • Options
    marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intosoap wrote:
    I work part time for Soaplife magazine. The editor of TV Times is the husband of the deputy head of Soaplife - i know them well. And the double issue will be from 17th December - it will be on sale sometime in the week of Monday 5th Dec. :) All the issue dates change at Christmas..

Intosoap, I would be interested to learn what the sales of the Xmas TV Times is compared to the Radio Times edition. I've never actually considered buying anything other than the Radio Times at Christmas (is it habit, tradition or snobbery?!) but am aware of the various other TV mags. Do they do as well?
  • Options
    noddylpdnoddylpd Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I do. Don't most people?

:)

Errrrrrrrrrr No they don't actually! lol
  • Options
    JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the xmas edition with a snowy village shaped like a Yule Tree (Remember the tree is pagan, not christian) and they even had promo's featuring the same village. Excellent :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marling wrote:
    Intosoap, I would be interested to learn what the sales of the Xmas TV Times is compared to the Radio Times edition. I've never actually considered buying anything other than the Radio Times at Christmas (is it habit, tradition or snobbery?!) but am aware of the various other TV mags. Do they do as well?

If you have ever seen What's on TV that is the best selling Televison magazine followed by TV choice - this is because they are only 40p and 30p. TV Times soes out-sell Radio Times, but i can't be sure of the figures. However a Xmas edition of Radio Times is the biggest selling magazine anywhere selling over 6 million copies at christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the xmas edition with a snowy village shaped like a Yule Tree (Remember the tree is pagan, not christian) and they even had promo's featuring the same village. Excellent :)

There has been a lot of homoganising of the images of Christmas. The tree is indeed pagen but Father Christmas is a representation of St. Nicholas (or Santa Clause).

Most people nowadays don't really care whether the image is Christian or Pagan; just as long as they get big expensive presents and have loads to eat :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intosoap wrote:
    If you have ever seen What's on TV that is the best selling Televison magazine followed by TV choice - this is because they are only 40p and 30p. TV Times soes out-sell Radio Times, but i can't be sure of the figures. However a Xmas edition of Radio Times is the biggest selling magazine anywhere selling over 6 million copies at christmas.

Years ago the Radio Times was the undisputed highest selling periodical. I think that this was eroded in the early 90s when the Radio Times was allowed to include commercial television details and the TV Times, the BBC channels. Other magazines were then allowed to be released as where newspapers allowed to have TV guide pull outs for the week (If my memory serves me right, before hand, the newspapers would only have today/weekend listings).

Nowadays, the lower priced TV guides seem to be soap and sleb obsessed, but (for me) come accross as totally vacuous. The TV Times has also to a certain extent gone down this route. It is still the Radio Times for me. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Just to let you know, the BBC website says that its press release detailing Christmas Tv and Radio highlights will be released on the 21st of November.

I suspect around this time you will get the 'papers early pull outs.

Still, 'the RT for me' (can they use that as a catchphrase?), but good for early news....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    The Radio Times use to be until a couple of years ago the best selling title in the Uk but was overtaken by Whats on Tv but it still manages to sell over a million copies a week which doubles for the Christmas issue. Tv Times sells about half of what RT does
    The front cover of Rt at Christmas is usually a drawing (last year was a xmas pudding with a map of the Uk on it made to look like sauce) so Dr Who may feature like they did with Harry potter a few years back
    The snowy village cover (1977) is still one of my fav covers
    This year the magazine will cover December 17 - 31 and goes on sale nationwide on Tuesday December 6 so only three weeks to go!!