Options

That Panasonic problem...

NiknodNiknod Posts: 367
Forum Member
I have seen mentions on here to it, and I have been suffering with it for months, that Panasonic problem, you know, when you put a channel on, find it's breaking up really badly, try to navigate away but it crashes the box...

Well, what causes it? today its the turn of BBC1 to do it, which is really annoying. Everytime somebody puts BBC1 on the reciever, it starts to crackle and block... and I have to crawl behind the TV to unplug it and reset it. The signal strength and quality on BBC1 are fine, but it breaks up and crashes the box, so why?

It seems to travel from channel to channel, at first it was just the cheap channels, shopping and quiz channels.... but recently it does it to major channels, like Movies, Sky One, and tonight BBC1... Is it something that is common across all Panasonic boxes on the same channel at the same time or does it vary from box to box? is there any quick fix out of a breaking up channel without being forced to reboot?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what model of box do you have (sticker on the machine not from services) and whats your signal strength like, services 4, 6 ? if you have a dsb31 and your signal is fine try turning off rgb, services 4, 1

hope that helps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This crashing of the TUDSB 30 has been one of the most discussed problems here.

This crashing is caused by either weak transponders (signals) or a tuner module that is old and hence not performing like new, probably "noisy".

Firstly you must get your dish optimised, for the Astra 2D signals. If that doesn't fix the problem, then the digibox tuner needs refurbishment. There are several companies that offer that service.
    (Cost about £21+vat plus carriage from that company in Manchester.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jay C wrote:
    This crashing of the TUDSB 30 has been one of the most discussed problems here.

This crashing is caused by either weak transponders (signals) or a tuner module that is old and hence not performing like new, probably "noisy".

Firstly you must get your dish optimised, for the Astra 2D signals. If that doesn't fix the problem, then the digibox tuner needs refurbishment. There are several companies that offer that service.
    (Cost about £21+vat plus carriage from that company in Manchester.)

Yeah, its a TUDSB30. when you do a signal check through services it reads about 75% on both strength and quality. I am now watching five on it, and was watching sky sports earlier. they are both fine.... BBC1 (2 and 3 too come to that) all crash the box the minute you switch channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Niknod wrote:
    Yeah, its a TUDSB30. when you do a signal check through services it reads about 75% on both strength and quality. I am now watching five on it, and was watching sky sports earlier. they are both fine.... BBC1 (2 and 3 too come to that) all crash the box the minute you switch channels.
    OK remember that there are 3 satellites being used.( Actually 4 - but we can ignore Eurobird).So Astra 2A, Astra 2B, and Astra 2D. Both the 2A and 2B have 2 beams, that is footprints. The signal meter via the digibox is tied to 2A North. (Five is Astra 2B North).

The Astra 2D is the one that carries the BBC and ITV channels, and it has a more precise footprint. Therefore if your dish is not accurately aligned, the BBC signals appear weak to the digibox. As you have read, the Panasonic 30 is particularly affected by these low signals, hence the crashing when cycling through these weak channels.

So do as i suggest, get your dish checked first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, borrow a good Digibox and test your dish system with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, borrow a good Digibox and test your dish system with it.
    The problem Sam is that some digiboxes will accept these signal variations, the Panny will not.
  • Options
    tonyktonyk Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Im afraid the only way is to ditch it and buy a pace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Prior to calling out an engineer with his signal meter we got the ladders out and cleaned the dish and lnb with a cloth. Maybe it's just coincidence, but since then it's been fine on BBC, even though just before we cleaned it we still couldn't get BBC without crashing the box. So I could have a result here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im afraid if you go up and down on the channel increase/decrease buttons i will bet the box will lock on the first weak station, it will be more pronounced in the evening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn your video output to PAL in the picture settings menu and it should be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVDX wrote:
    Turn your video output to PAL in the picture settings menu and it should be fine.
    If that was the answer, for this problem, there would be many happy Panasonic owners out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just another SKY cock-up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay C wrote:
    If that was the answer, for this problem, there would be many happy Panasonic owners out there.

It IS the answer.
    You will find this discussed many times by searching these forums and in many threads people found the problem stopped when the box was switched to PAL output instead of RGB.
    Something about the output of RGB being too heavy on the processor in the box which tends to run very hot.

If you don't believe me try it and if this really is the "Panasonic problem" you are experiencing and not just a dodgy dish installation you will see results.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it has been discussed many times, and I know that some people have recommended what you suggest. I also know that some people have reported that it made no difference.

Fortunately I have 2 Panasonics, one of which crashes, the other does not. The difference is that the one that crashes performs very poorly on a low signal transponder - for me a 2B North beam e.g. 12304H.