Options

Problems with Humax MG-TU1

SladkartSladkart Posts: 27
Forum Member
Anyone else got this box and having problems? :mad:

Every couple of days it "forgets" that it has a valid TopUp TV card and just displays a blank screen on the subscription channels. A reboot fixes it.

It can also fail to display free channels such as BBC1, etc. ie. no picture but the sound is okay. The channel banner just says 'AUDIO CHANNEL'. Again a reboot fixes it.

Also the channel banner doesn't always go away after changing channels so I have to change away and back again to get rid of it.

The interactive and text also stop working after a couple of days. This is the only "good" feature cos I don't like the 'press red' banners :D . Unfortunately I have to reset the box because of the problems above and then the text comes back :cry:

I have another freeview-only box upstairs which works without problems, good signal, no glitches, etc. so I don't think it can be a wiring/aerial/signal problem.

Anyone recommend a solution or suggest another more reliable TopUp compatible box? Humax just keep saying I should do a software reset - which I do, but the problem returns after a couple of days. :mad:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sladkart wrote:
    Anyone recommend a solution or suggest another more reliable TopUp compatible box? Humax just keep saying I should do a software reset - which I do, but the problem returns after a couple of days. :mad:
    Oh dear...sorry to hear you're having problems :(

I'm afraid I can't suggest anything to fix your problem, other than pursevere with Humax.

I believe this box is made by Access Devices....next week there are provisionally scheduled updates...it may be available for your box, and it may fix some problems, but this is doubtful.

The cheapest TUTV box on the market at the moment that I would recommend is the Matsui TUTV1 from Dixons or Currys for £44.00
    This box I believe would be the same as your Humax under the bonnet, but has been said to be very reliable. It's also the same as my Digifusion FRT101T, which has proved very reliable, without too many problems.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1118039397.1132676527@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeaddgfimgkgjcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=21&sm=0&tm=undefined&sku=185533&category_oid=-25123

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0300071938.1132676591@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddgfhiijfgcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=20&sm=11&tm=undefined&sku=185533&category_oid=-25985
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. I've read the user reviews of the Matsui on this site and it's not all pleasant reading.

I'm not after a cheap box - after I've tried out several unreliable cheap boxes I could have bought a reliable expensive one. Unfortunately expensive doesn't necessarily mean reliable. :rolleyes:

I might take a look at the Digifusion if Humax don't come up with a fix. Any idea if that would work with a TiVo?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sladkart wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I've read the user reviews of the Matsui on this site and it's not all pleasant reading.

I'm not after a cheap box - after I've tried out several unreliable cheap boxes I could have bought a reliable expensive one. Unfortunately expensive doesn't necessarily mean reliable. :rolleyes:

I might take a look at the Digifusion if Humax don't come up with a fix. Any idea if that would work with a TiVo?
    I think alot of people here would recommend the Netgem/BT iPlayer then if you're willing to spend around £80 to £100. It's not just a STB, it's quite abit more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    sladkart,

could you describe the problems you are experiencing with TUTV and the Audio banners in more detail? ie does the problem occur when changing to / from a TUTV channel or does it popup while watching a particular channel or is it time of day related.
    could you also let me know the SW version number. go to main menu, software revision, software version. let me know the number at the bottom of this window. it should start with TUTV-

it may be easier if you PM me.

when did this problem first occur and how old is the box?

Jeester
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Jeester

I don't have access to the version info at the mo cos I'm at work. I'll post it later.

I've had the box about a month. The TopUp problems occur every 2 or 3 days requiring a reboot. The audio channel problem has only occured a couple of times.

I use the box with a TiVo so I never usually see when the problem occurs "live". However, I have been back through blank recordings to see if I can see if it happens during a program or at the initial channel change. The 'AUDIO CHANNEL' problem happened after a channel change. Any subsequent channel changes just give audio, no picture. A reboot fixes this.

The TopUp problem is very similar and that seems to occur also on a channel change.

I'll post the TUTV- string when I get home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've posted all the version info in case it shows up anything obvious (unlikely i know)

System Version 1.11.1
    Elgist Library 1.53.1
    MHEG Library 1.9.10
    DSMCC Library 2.12.0
    OAD Library 2.5.1
    Menu Manager Library 1.12.1
    CA Mediaguard Library 1.5.1

TUTV-110-8401-0111a-0167