Options

Noisy Eating

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
Something mentioned about people eating noisily at the theatre or cinema in another thread made me think that perhaps it was safe to come out and ask others about this.

I hate the sound of people eating. It makes me want to jump out of my skin. Bananas have to be the absolute worst - it's a wet, slimy sound that makes me feel quite unwell. When a "noisy eater" is anywhere near me eating a banana, I have to leave.

I don't really have a problem with people who are having a good time and forget to finish what's in their mouth before jumping into a conversation - it's not great, but it's not the same revulsion that I feel for some people who just seem to make far too much noise inside their mouths.

I feel that I've probably said too much :o . Please tell me your feelings about noisy eating so that I can ascertain my level of normality or otherwise on this subject.

Comments

• Options
    The Wardster IIThe Wardster II Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sympathise totally. Nails on a old fashioned blackboard is the sensation you get when someone is quite happily going "smack smack slurp slurp burble smack".

Some people (OAP's etc etc I suppose cannot help it if they wear dentures, but you get these ignorant types in restuarants etc etc, and you feel like pushing their head in their food.

Theres just no need for it!

:mad: Rant over
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My brother does it - and also opens his mouth with every chew.
    Absolutely repulsive!
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    mamasan wrote:
    Something mentioned about people eating noisily at the theatre or cinema in another thread made me think that perhaps it was safe to come out and ask others about this.

I hate the sound of people eating. It makes me want to jump out of my skin. Bananas have to be the absolute worst - it's a wet, slimy sound that makes me feel quite unwell. When a "noisy eater" is anywhere near me eating a banana, I have to leave.

I don't really have a problem with people who are having a good time and forget to finish what's in their mouth before jumping into a conversation - it's not great, but it's not the same revulsion that I feel for some people who just seem to make far too much noise inside their mouths.

I feel that I've probably said too much :o . Please tell me your feelings about noisy eating so that I can ascertain my level of normality or otherwise on this subject.
    I agree 100% with you and find your reaction to noisy eating totally normal. I find bad manners extremely irritating in particular at the dinner table and hearing someone eat or seeing the food in their mouth turns my stomach.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My little 6 year old niece HUMS when she eats, always has!! Very strange.

Personally i don't like noisy eaters and if i'm eating and some speaks to me, i'll gesture to hold on, or put my hand over my mouth so they don't see anything
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Em I think I might be guilty of this sometimes, what can I say I like my food okay.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew someone who had a bad habit of eating once, and without being just nasty outright, it really used to get on my flaming nerves. I know people can't help the way they eat, but even when you try and ignore them, it does tend to build up until you have to leave the room.

I'm puzzled though as to why they simply can't keep their mouth shut when their eating, unless they don't feel comfortable when doing this maybe. I dunno, it just seems to get on my nerves, can't help it really, just like they can't I suppose.
  • Options
    Banana HeadBanana Head Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriend used to do this until I noticed it and told him how disgusting it was. He sounded like a pig!
    He said it was because he couldn't breathe through his nose. :confused:

I must say he doesn't do it now. If he did I don't think I would be marrying him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    My brother does it - and also opens his mouth with every chew.
    Absolutely repulsive!

Maybe you should Cilit Bang him. :D

Yes i hate it, must be one of the most ill mannered things someone can do. I had a friend that used to open her mouth with every chew,you could see all the masticated food in her gob.

Not attractive for a woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote:
    I knew someone who had a bad habit of eating once, and without being just nasty outright, it really used to get on my flaming nerves. I know people can't help the way they eat, but even when you try and ignore them, it does tend to build up until you have to leave the room.

I'm puzzled though as to why they simply can't keep their mouth shut when their eating, unless they don't feel comfortable when doing this maybe. I dunno, it just seems to get on my nerves, can't help it really, just like they can't I suppose.

That puzzles me, too. I take the point above about elderly people - and thinking about it, that doesn't really bother me. Very young children who are just learning how to eat making a complete mess with food don't bother me at all - I quite like it, really. But I just can't extend that tolerance to others. As I said, the sound of a noisy eater and a banana brings out something approaching violent revulsion in me - someone was once eating a banana while talking to me on the phone, and I really lost it :o . And what set me off this morning was my au pair talking with banana in her mouth - I'm afraid that I was incredibly rude to her, which I know was wrong but the words just jumped out of my mouth.

I quite like bananas, but they really ought to be eaten in private.
  • Options
    lots2dolots2do Posts: 2,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr L2D is still traumatised from childhood after sitting next to a friend who was slapping and slurping a fried egg around his mouth! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hearing someone slurping soup makes my hackles rise . I know it is me being intolerant , but it still irritates me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    innocent. wrote:
    Hearing someone slurping soup makes my hackles rise . I know it is me being intolerant , but it still irritates me.

I'm relieved to find so many of you feel the same way. I'm not proud of this intolerance, but it's good to know that it's not unusual.

That story about the egg was :eek: , lots2do! No wonder the poor man was traumatised!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound apologetic about being intolerant, when you have nothing to apologise for. It's about the sheer bad manners of inconsiderate people who, I suspect, do it deliberately to get a reaction. Food trolls? :eek:
    It's disgusting what ever excuse people give for it.

And if one person comes up with a `they can't help it, they have Open Mouth Eating Disorder` or some such crap I'll...I'll :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound apologetic about being intolerant, when you have nothing to apologise for. It's about the sheer bad manners of inconsiderate people who, I suspect, do it deliberately to get a reaction. Food trolls? :eek:

:D

I just feel I ought to be able to conquer it.

If they are "Food trolls", am I a Food Fascist?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you're in the company of others you should eat quietly. It infringes on one's personal space to have chomp chomp nosh nosh in your ear. If you're on your own then by all means eat like a pig though. :p
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God that is my pet hate. It's downright bad manners.
    I couldn't sit next to someone chomping away at their food.

As for slurping drinks....................:eek:
  • Options
    rachelb65rachelb65 Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yippee I'm not the only one :D

And as its now Teatime .... EAT NICE EVERYONE :mad: ;)
  • Options
    timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate overly noisy eaters too, but worst of all are those people who seem to always end up with food on the outside of their mouths and never wipe it away. Makes me want to chuck up and it really spoils a meal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And eat QUIETLY! :D
  • Options
    marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like noisy eaters. I don't like noisy food either (crisps eaters - aaaarrghhh!).
    But I also hate it when people scrape their plates towards the end of a meal, maybe to get the last bits of whatever off and into thier gobs. I know someone who leaves their plate virtually clean by this scraping method. It drives me bananas!
  • Options
    lots2dolots2do Posts: 2,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the height of bad manners. I find that oldies are generally the worst for this, because of their ill-fitting dentures. But not only are you forced to listen to their food, and watch their dentures falling around inside their mouth, they normally produce a 'new set' in a folded napkin from their handbag.

Now THAT is disgusting! :eek: :D
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,319
    Forum Member
    I absolutely hate it. Even if someone's about to speak so they get the remaining food out of their teeth I cannot stand the noise.

I don't think I could go out with a bloke who ate noisily, so I'll probably be single forever :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mamasan wrote:

Mamasan, I feel so much better reading this! I cannot bear crunching of any kind. Boiled sweets, apples, crisps are the worst. My husband has to take an apple in the garden or upstairs rather than eat it anywhere near me, because yes it makes me feel like - well almost panicky. Have you any idea where y our phobia comes from? It's just that when we were young, my dad hated crunching and on car journies my sister and I almost had to suck crisps rather than risk upsetting him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LindyLupin wrote:
    Mamasan, I feel so much better reading this! I cannot bear crunching of any kind. Boiled sweets, apples, crisps are the worst. My husband has to take an apple in the garden or upstairs rather than eat it anywhere near me, because yes it makes me feel like - well almost panicky. Have you any idea where y our phobia comes from? It's just that when we were young, my dad hated crunching and on car journies my sister and I almost had to suck crisps rather than risk upsetting him.

Oh my god, oh my god - my ex used to noisily eat apples at me while I was trying to talk to him about Important Stuff :eek: . Usually it's wet noises rather than crunchy ones that have me climbing walls, but insolent crunching make me :mad: :mad: :mad: .
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i'm in a room with a noisy eater, then after so long i'll just simply get up and leave the room. I basically can't stand to be in the same room as a noisy eater. I dunno, I just...I just find it baffling as to why they can't keep their mouths shut whilst eating, unless they don't even know that they are creating the noise that they actually are. But....people are different in all ways I suppose.