Options

The Zoe Ball Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
Forum Member
✭✭
Well, we have a Zoe and Ian thread, a number of threads revelling in the joy that is Ian, but no Zoe thread so I thought it would be nice to start one for her tonight.

I really felt for her this week. She felt really bad, but still stuck it out and learnt two routines - one of which was absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, she put in a good word for James which was a lovely thing to do.

Here's hoping she's better next week. I'd be gutted to see her and Ian leave.

Comments

• Options
    FarmLoonFarmLoon Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw you say on the I&Z appreciation thread that you felt lonely and that you're on your own in here. Because of that I thought I'd tell you that I'm about to start rehearsing for panto next week, so....

OH, NO YOU'RE NOT!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Hi Kiera and Farmloon. Just want to be supportive and skulk a bit here to commiserate because our girl was really not at her best last night and almost went out of the competition. I thought Colin and Erin were brilliant and that they deserved to come first.

I even found myself getting slightly annoyed with the dear Zoe, especially when she did the pitch for James. I know it is very sporting of her but it could also be read as patronising and if people don't believe that you are sincere when you do that kind of thing, it does not endear them to you. And in the end, of course, James did not need Zoe's support and his huge fan base almost put her out of the competition.

But this will all be fodder for the Zoe haters and before you start, I think it would have been absolutely criminal if they had gone out last night. Zoe and Ian have been fantastic competitors and have given us some wonderful performances.

I could have strangled Bruno for giving them a 9 for the cha cha. It is just this sort of thing that turns people against Zoe. Even she admitted that she did not deserve the 9. But she does deserve alot of credit for going out there while ill and giving very creditable performances.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. This little thread of appreciation is looking so sad and lonely. I know there has been some support for Zoe on the Zoe moaning thread and I have been posting there, too, but the level of condemnation and criticism of Zoe really does seem excessively harsh. So I am going to bump this thread up, just for the hell of it, because I think she has given us some wonderful dances and she really does not deserve the sort of backlash she is getting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to see you here, FarmLoon.

Very well said, Crystal Tips. Zoe is a wonderful dancer and a genuinely nice person (just ask those who've had the pleasure to interview her, etc, over the years) who really is being unfairly picked upon. I know without her this competition just wouldn't be the same - the show has benefited greatly by their taking part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I think if the final does not have Zoe & Ian in it - it will not be a true reflection of the series. Zoe is not my favourite and last night was clearly overscored by the judges, hence I think the publics reaction not voting for her - BUT she is better than James at dancing and this is a dance competition. I think James & Camillla should go next, it would be a shame to vote them into the final at the detriment of one of the others.

The final should be Colin, Darren & Zoe.....that way, we get a great competition...and to be honest, none of them would be a clear favourite to win it...so it really would go to the knife edge.

Zoe had a bad night last night, but she is still a great performer, dancer and endearing.

Darren is my favourite, but I can still express that Zoe deserves to be in that final with Colin & Darren. If anything, I think Ian let her down last night, the Cha Cha Cha was a very boring routine with too many of the same steps...she needs to be performing crowd pleasers like the Tango the week before.....save Zoe!!!! As much as I think James & Camillla ooze chemistry and he is a lovely ballroom dancer....he is not final standard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to add to this thread. Too many people have bashed at Zoe. Perhaps because the judges did tend to be a bit lavish with the marks. However that is not Zoe's fault. So why take it out on her? She is lovely. I do wish she would not put herself down so much though! Her dancing so far has been superb. Apart from that Cha cha last night which was a bit uninpressive heer American smooth was lovely. She is by far a better dancer than James, and has been brilliant up to now. She did really great dancing with the flu. I hope she hasnt given it to Ian, that would be a disaster!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I have to say that as much as I want Z+I to win, Zoe does not have the flu! What she has is probably a bad cold. Flu is something you get once in your life, twice if you're unlucky ... and when you have it - you can't move for at least a week!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    ok so she may not of had flu but still she was ill, bad timing really considering she had 2 dances to learn

zoe and ian deserve to be in the final, their cha-cha was the only "bad" performance they've done so far, well thats my opinion anyway and i didn't think the cha-cha was that bad compared to others
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was the Zoe appreciation thread ;) great idea but does feel a tad tense in here :)

I too think Zoe has been bashed too much, and am also tired of the battle to define whether she has flu or not. Whatever she had she was patently very unwell and did a great job regardless. Ian most certainly didnt let her down, the Cha Cha Cha was not as brilliant as it could have been but she still did pretty well and the spark between them and in their dancing was definitley there.

True she does maybe get a little carried away sometimes but thats part of her nature. She has consistently stood up for her fellow competitors and shown that most of the press has been utter nonsense and not worth bothering with.

The final wont be the final it should be if she's not in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she is the best dancer and is quite sweet and funny at times i hope she gets to the final
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like Startwirler, I have to say this thread is perhaps moving back to a slightly negative vein. As an appreciation thread, it would be nice to just concentrate upon what we like about her and not bring up a few nitpicky things which she's hardly alone in (Claudia, James and Camilla have also had this "flu" which oddly hasn't been commented on) It's hard enough being a Zoe fan out there at the best of times, so it'd be nice if this could be a haven for us fans :)

Anyway, to get back on topic and brighten the mood, here's a pic from the BBC site of Zoe and Ian doing the Tango. I just love how into the routine they both were. I hope it helped to alleviate Zoe's fears that she can't act, because she did a beautiful job.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Kiera123/zoe_ian7.jpg
  • Options
    ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karenkaren wrote:
    Sorry but I have to say that as much as I want Z+I to win, Zoe does not have the flu! What she has is probably a bad cold. Flu is something you get once in your life, twice if you're unlucky ... and when you have it - you can't move for at least a week!

i've been unlucky enough to have flu twice this year!
  • Options
    ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiera wrote:
    Like Startwirler, I have to say this thread is perhaps moving back to a slightly negative vein. As an appreciation thread, it would be nice to just concentrate upon what we like about her and not bring up a few nitpicky things which she's hardly alone in (Claudia, James and Camilla have also had this "flu" which oddly hasn't been commented on) It's hard enough being a Zoe fan out there at the best of times, so it'd be nice if this could be a haven for us fans :)

Anyway, to get back on topic and brighten the mood, here's a pic from the BBC site of Zoe and Ian doing the Tango. I just love how into the routine they both were. I hope it helped to alleviate Zoe's fears that she can't act, because she did a beautiful job.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Kiera123/zoe_ian7.jpg

that's such a gorgeous picture

i could imagine it becoming a poster like the breakfast at tiffanys ones
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, just a random thought i've been having about Zoe. For a non dancer, her turns are pretty good. She always seems really in control of herself. I really believe Ian has brought out a lot of her talent. Still more to come though so im excited about Saturday!
    She comes across as really sweet and genuine and her and Ian make a striking dance partnership. I think the chemistry is what gives them the edge over Colin and Erin. Just my opinion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~V~ wrote:
    i've been unlucky enough to have flu twice this year!

Very unfortunate. I know colds can feel dreadful, so I can only imagine what a flu would be like.
    dawn_marie wrote:
    I really believe Ian has brought out a lot of her talent. Still more to come though so im excited about Saturday!

Absolutely. I think he pushes her hard, but it does pay off for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Zoe is a really lovely person. She supports the others all the time. She became real friends with Patsy and she has lovely things to say about everyone.

she has turned into a lovely dancer. There is somewhere I read Ian say he was a bit concerned at first that she might be unco-ordinated because of they way she always saw herself I suppose. However he was surprised how well she has taken to it and how dedicated she is.

And whatever anyone says she was ill, with a temperature and damp sweaty hair. Thats flu for sure. I hope anyone who makes catty remarks about her gets the flu themselves now. i only hope Ian manages to not get it.!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pipie wrote:
    she is the best dancer and is quite sweet and funny at times i hope she gets to the final

I agree she's the best female celebrities dancer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, Zoe has been a complete sweetheart. At the beginning of the series i had no idea she's be such a beautiful dancer. For someone so tall, she dances with a lot of elegance. I actually think her height has worked in her favour seeings as Ian is so tall. They look 'right' together.

The only downside of seeing this transformation is thats its made me want to give it a go. Im seriously considering it even though i gave up dancing when i was 15. Mind you, im hardly old now at 23, so its not too late. At least if i get in to Ballroom i wont have to brave the point shoes again *shudders*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look, I'm not being catty *I want her to win,* but it just really annoys me the way people sneeze twice and have "flu." Flu is a serious illness - people die of it! If you have flu then you really, really know all about it. I'm not saying she wasn't ill either because she clearly was. she did a great job to carry on, but she certainly does not have "flu." That is all I am saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely think Zoe has surprised a lot of people. As elizabethjo mentioned, even Ian was worried about taking her on as he thought she'd be clumsy and uncoordinated. But, as he says, "She has totally surpassed my expectations."
  • Options
    Kez100Kez100 Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is lovely but being overmarked will not be doing her any good with the public.
    This week Erin and Colin were a head above the others and the judges had a chance to put right previous wrongs. Fine, only give them 9's but don't be so unprofessional to then give a 9 too others on an error riddled performance.

I will also be disappointed to not see a D/C/Z final. On balance they deserve it. Very close competition between them on the night then.

I wish them all well but do hope J and C don't get into the final at the expense of one of the real quality celebs. I vote on the night for what I think is the best performance/s so I change my vote regularly.
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Zoe and want her to win.

So what she's touchy feely with Ian SO WHAT

She's a great dancer has loads of sparkle

I will be voting like mad to make sure she is in the final.

2 dances in one week is a bit much for all of the working / mothers in the celebs. It's an advantage to the sporting celebs who don't have a day job
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    karenkaren wrote:
    Look, I'm not being catty *I want her to win,* but it just really annoys me the way people sneeze twice and have "flu." Flu is a serious illness - people die of it! If you have flu then you really, really know all about it. I'm not saying she wasn't ill either because she clearly was. she did a great job to carry on, but she certainly does not have "flu." That is all I am saying.

Didnt realise this was a branch of NHS Direct. How do you know she did not have the flu? Were you there did you get to take her temperature, etc.
    Anyone else gets on about Zoe not being ill then I will personally wish the flu on them and hope they have a really bad dose of it.
    For your information we all know how bad the flu can be if you are at risk. obviously Zoe is fit and healthy and so she is probably not at risk, just ill.
    OK Now just shut up whinger!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didnt realise this was a branch of NHS Direct. How do you know she did not have the flu? Were you there did you get to take her temperature, etc.
    Anyone else gets on about Zoe not being ill then I will personally wish the flu on them and hope they have a really bad dose of it.
    For your information we all know how bad the flu can be if you are at risk. obviously Zoe is fit and healthy and so she is probably not at risk, just ill.
    OK Now just shut up whinger!

http://www.flustar.com/symptoms.asp

Check it out. Flu involves long periods of immobilisation. Immobilisation means can't dance! Also, my father (who is a doctor - what are you?) said straight away that she doesn't have flu. Get this - I'm not saying she wasn't ill - just that she didn't have flu! (What is so difficult to understand about that?)

Quote from you:
    "I hope anyone who makes catty remarks about her gets the flu themselves now."

If you don't mind me saying so, that sounds a bit catty to me. If you seriously, genuinely wish that sort of pain and suffering upon someone just because they have the gall to hold an opinion about a TELEVISION SHOW (meanwhile, back in the real world ....) that is different to yours then I pity you. People are allowed to think differently to you - you're not in my head!

I can't believe some people are getting so het up and defensive over a ballroom dancing competition on the TV - which isn't even a proper ballroom dancing competition because half the competitors aren't ballroom dancers!

As for telling me to shut up: act your age rather than your shoe size.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I blame Doctors - If you have a bad cold they write "flu symptoms" down on any documentation. I had Flu once and wouldnt wish it on anyone - it hurts!

Zoe obviously did have a bad cold... I really wouldnt want to be catty enough to wish it on all the other couples except darren and lilia :p

Zoe, Colin and Darren to get to the final

Darren and Lilia to win!!!

MikeyD