Options

Ofcom: Most Haunted "not a legitimate investigation"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/obb/prog_cb/pcb46/

As if anyone ever thought Host Haunted offered any scientific insight into the paranormal, Ofcom have finally ruled that the programme is not a legitimate investigation.

The standards body recently announced that the programme is not in breach of its broadcasting code, because the show does not actually contain any proper scientific procedures, so the question of whether they fabricate parts of the programme is not relevant. The show is purely for entertainment.

However, they seem to be assuming that most of the programme's viewers are aware that the show is not to be taken seriously. They cite "signposts" such as the fact that Living TV is an entertainment channel, and the fact that there is a live audience. Viewers are supposed to take these indicators as clues that they are simply being entertained, not informed.

I think it's fairly clear after reading the posts on the MH and DS forums that Ofcom are giving MH's viewers entirely too much credit. Maybe they should have asked some of the fans if they thought the programme was scientific?

Anyway. It's legal because it's just fluff.

End, as they say, of.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We already knew that. So your a bit slow there Dr S... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tandi wrote:
    We already knew that. So your a bit slow there Dr S... :D

Really? They only sent it to me this morning.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Really? They only sent it to me this morning.

Yes, the date on the release is the 5th.........

Perhaps your email is possessed.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I got a copy by post. I guess it took a few days to arrive.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is absolutely no surprise at all. Nothing new.

I posted a link months ago about "paranormal" programming in general, being treated as entertainment by OFCOM.

Anyway they are entitled to put whatever slant they like on the programme. It doesn't alter my view of it.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would this mean programmes would be allowed to have an extreme political bias if they claimed it was entertainment?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely if thats the case they should put an announcement up saying so before each broadcast, as they do before John Edwards programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A line that undermines everything I've ever read you post in your diatribes about Most Haunted.

And once, many months ago, I insisted during one of our encounters that I regarded Most Haunted as the broadcast equivalent of a rather good Ghost Train ride. You wouldn't accept that argument then. I wonder what's changed...?

Nothing at all has changed. I have always claimed that MH was tv fluff, with no scientific merit whatsoever. What annoys me is that the programme is not presented as such. Ofcom seem to assume that MH viewers are able to make the distinction between real science and entertainment. A read through the fan sites would indicate the exact opposite. If viewers really thought that MH was just for fun, they would not speak about it in such credulous terms.

The programme should contain a disclaimer to the effect that they are not doing a serious investigation. They should drop all pretences at being scientific. Proper scientists should not associate themselves with the programme. At the moment, Most Haunted is misleading its audience. Ofcom are giving the viewing public too much credit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your forgetting Dr S that they dont actually claim to be doing a serious scientific study either. It does not say at the beginning of the programe 'THIS IS A SERIOUS SCIENTIFIC STUDY OF THE PARANORMAL'

They go to a place which is reputedly haunted for 24 hours, and they walk round with cameras filming what happens. People tune in to see 'what happens', they are disappointed if nothing exciting happens, and alternatley are excited if something does happen ... be that Yvette screaming the place down or K + S having stuff thown at them.

People can make what they like of the show, that is their perogative. It not for you to say they are idiots, which is what you are basically saying for either watching the show or for taking it for more than it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tandi wrote:
    I think your forgetting Dr S that they dont actually claim to be doing a serious scientific study either. It does not say at the beginning of the programe 'THIS IS A SERIOUS SCIENTIFIC STUDY OF THE PARANORMAL'

They don't need to. Their facade of doing "experiments" and measuring temperatures and EM fields is an attempt to pretend that they are doing an investigation. You only have to read the credulous posts by believers to know that many people have well and truly fallen for it.

If people are misled by a programme, it is misleading.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but anyone who has actually seen the show, and seen them claim that a spot on the night vision cam is something paranormal, when you can clearly see its Musca Domestica. I watched it once, and every time they claimed this phenominon (sp?) was paranormal or supernatural, I found myself shouting

"Its a sodding housefly! You can see its wings for gods sake!"
  • Options
    Alpha-Sun2Alpha-Sun2 Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just a quick two questions. will this thread be the official Most Haunted Live thread (for the non-fans) for the next three nights? or will you be usiing the old 'Confirmed: Most Haunted Is Fake' thread??
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The programme is misleading at MHL Elstree, Yvette made a comment to camera live on air to try and stop the rumours that some of the programme is either faked or made up,

"There is no acting that goes on in this programme, none whatsoever. Everything that you see and you hear is real. It's not made up; it's not acted."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m4tt24 wrote:

"There is no acting that goes on in this programme, none whatsoever. Everything that you see and you hear is real. It's not made up; it's not acted."

...said the actor Yvette Fielding
    ;)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tandi wrote:

They go to a place which is reputedly haunted for 24 hours, and they walk round with cameras filming what happens. People tune in to see 'what happens', they are disappointed if nothing exciting happens, and alternatley are excited if something does happen ... be that Yvette screaming the place down or K + S having stuff thown at them.

People can make what they like of the show, that is their perogative. It not for you to say they are idiots, which is what you are basically saying for either watching the show or for taking it for more than it is.

That's absolutely right Tandi. They don't make a big thing about being "seriously scientific" or whatever. They don't even insist that the anomalies are definitely paranormal. They just let the viewers come to their own conclusions. Also, twice in recent weeks, Ciaron has been unable to logically explain away phenomenon as being naturally occurring.

They've even got rid of the guy who was not what he touted himself to be ~ who was set up by Ciaron himself. Still, people complain. Some folk are never happy ;) At the end of the day though, we all believe what we want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Well its 25min into access and even tho they had all four (including Ciaran!) on the stage, no mention of the news articale ;) How suprising :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote:
    That's absolutely right Tandi. They don't make a big thing about being "seriously scientific" or whatever. They don't even insist that the anomalies are definitely paranormal. They just let the viewers come to their own conclusions.

Of course. To do otherwise would mean being taken off air for being fraudulent.

They don't have to make an overt claim of being scientific. They know that their audience will put 2 and 2 together and make 7. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=6493536&postcount=2039

Someone else, stegair, has been fooled into thinking that what goes on in Most Haunted is real. Ofcom, are you taking note?