Options

aol 2mb v pipex 2mb

fazzymanfazzyman Posts: 428
Forum Member
I am condidering very seriously leaving aol 2mb and signing up for pipex 2mb. the reason

I have had aol 2mb since it started and my 12 months is now up.I have not been satisfied since the begining as I have always had problems with streaming video and despite spending hours on the phone(when the calls where free) they did not resolve the problem.
I also notice that some times it appears slow in downloading.
I rang aol last week and told them I was considering leaving and they cut £10 a months off my subscription as I was a valued customer.
I would rather pay the full amount and have it work fully.I also think that they know there is a problem as i did not have to encourage them to give me a reduction.

I would be obliged for any comment either critical or favourable re the pipex alternative.I have checked the web page for pipex and cant find a tp nr.can anyone oblige.

Comments

• Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only concern I might have is that it could be your phone line quality that's the problem rather than AOL.... many phone lines cannot handle 2mb speeds (although often it causes disconnections)

However, personally I'd get rid of AOL simply due to their software ;)

I'm on Pipex 1mb and to be honest my speeds lately haven't been that great (unless the speedchecker is wrong of course) I seem to get anywhere between 600 to 950kbps. It is a 2mb line throttled back by Pipex to 1mb, I know that line is fine as it did have 2mb full speed for a week before Pipex turned on their throttling.

One thing I'd say about Pipex customer service... it ain't great, AOL is far better (well they do answer the phone before 15 minutes don't they?) however, I've only had to call them once in 3 years so I mustn't grumble really.
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was with Pipex I had no problems whatsoever, have recently left them to go with Telewest when they finally realised I could get their service.

If you need to call Pipex use 01707 299 507 or 01707 299 509 instead of the 0845 number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    fazzyman wrote:
    I am condidering very seriously leaving aol 2mb and signing up for pipex 2mb. the reason

I have had aol 2mb since it started and my 12 months is now up.I have not been satisfied since the begining as I have always had problems with streaming video and despite spending hours on the phone(when the calls where free) they did not resolve the problem.
    I also notice that some times it appears slow in downloading.
    I rang aol last week and told them I was considering leaving and they cut £10 a months off my subscription as I was a valued customer.
    I would rather pay the full amount and have it work fully.I also think that they know there is a problem as i did not have to encourage them to give me a reduction.

I would be obliged for any comment either critical or favourable re the pipex alternative.I have checked the web page for pipex and cant find a tp nr.can anyone oblige.

I have been with aol for 8years and the last few months has been a nightmare with them trying to get wireless internet. I said I was leaving and they said ok then :eek: :confused: I was offered no incentive to stay
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    if the problem is with your line not being able to support 2mb aol would surely point this out to you
    you can check whether you can support 2mb using the many sites online

i left aol and went to pipex
    dont know why anyone would put up with that service or software
    (btw if you dont use the software you get prompts when you try to open internet dependant programmes like poker rooms and google earth
    why should you uninstall something your paying for anyway)
    aol overpriced and over here
    pipex are imho much better and will only charge you for the speed they determine is stable on your line after 10 days testing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had Tiscali, good speeds I got, bad really bad costumer Service, then went to the Best Eclipse 1MB never had problems excellent costumer service, but expensive, the Pipex 1MB, great service like Eclipse with Speed, and relaibity and alot cheaper. Costumer Service is good, not as fast though as Eclipse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need any of AOL's software at all. I use Blueyonder myself, but have set up a PC to use AOL without any of the software. Literally all that is needed when the PC is booted up, is to click one 'Connect' button and hey presto!
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Crab Paste wrote:
    You don't need any of AOL's software at all. I use Blueyonder myself, but have set up a PC to use AOL without any of the software. Literally all that is needed when the PC is booted up, is to click one 'Connect' button and hey presto!

I like that idea. Can you point me in the right direction on how to do this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's extracts from a post I wrote some months ago which explains how to do this. Hope it helps. I've made slight additions to my original post which make the process easier. The information is based on WinXP OS.
    Crab Paste wrote:
    I installed AOL Broadband yesterday for a friend and there's no need to use any of the AOL software at all (only the modem drivers, as they supply a USB modem, free).

To do this you need to set up a PPPoE connection. (It's very simple, honest).

To do this:

1) Open the Control Panel and select 'Network Connections'
    2) Click on 'Create a new connection'
    3) Choose 'Connect to the Internet' then click Next
    4) Choose 'Set up my connection manually' then click Next
    5) Choose 'Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password' then click Next
    6) Enter a name for your connection (AOL is a good choice) then click Next
    7) Enter your username (full username, eg. username@aol.com) and password, select the firewall option appropriate for your own preference (on or off), then click Next
    8) Click on Finish.
    9) Test your connection by clicking on Connect. It should connect within a couple of seconds.

If you want to enable the connection at startup you could place a shortcut to the connection in your Startup folder, then all you have to do is click connect when your PC boots. Alternately to select this connection manually, Click, Start, Connect To, then click the connection required. Simple.

Hope this info helps.

Let me know if this works for you (it certainly should) or post back any problems. Slightly off topic I know, so shoot me! :D

If you found this information useful, please donate £1 to the charity of your choice.

If this information was of no help whatsoever, please donate £2 to the charity of your choice :D
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should work, that is how I set it up for AOL users who don't want the extra crap.
  • Options
    mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well seeing as AOL are doing more speed increases, plus you don't have to use their software (I very rarely do now, as when I try to stream stuff off them, it doesn't always play now), it's not such bad value. I use Microsoft Outlook for e-mails, and either IE or sometimes Mozilla for browsing. Whether I get anywhere near the 8meg download is a different matter, but it's nice that I have gone from 56k dial up, to 256k silver, 512k gold, 1meg gold, 2 meg platinum to possibly 8meg platinum, all in the space of 10 months