Options

Live pause problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
Forum Member
Hi

I think my sky+ Pace PVR3 has been updated to the newer version (different colour background etc - says version 1.31) and since then the live pause doesn't work, I have gave up being on hold to sky. The old version worked perfectly, why did they force me into something I didn't want.

Katy

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    All set top boxes recieve updated software versions. If your live pause is not working, there is a fault. It is not the software per se.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    There must be a problem with the Pace boxes since the upgrade.

My mum has a Grundig plus box and doesn't have any problems, my dad however has the same Pace box as I have (v2) and since the upgrade we are both having the same problems. Live Pause not working, Instant Rewind not working and now - even more frustrating is the failure rate of recordings - mine is now 100% of recording failing. Now I would accept a fault with my box IF my dad didn't have the same problem?

Problems appeared to start happening not long after the upgrade. I just got frustrated with hard resetting the box to get it working for a while and learnt to live with it. Just been out for the night though and returned to 4 failed problems :mad:

Tried calling Sky Tech Support - 88 minute queue! I guess there's one person working there tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    This is a problem known to sky which they say they are working 24 hours to fix !!
    Drop and email to them at

AllCustomerCareEscalation@BSkyB.com

and have a moan, they gave me 2 months at half price.

Cheers.
  • Options
    sandman112sandman112 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    there is a well known issue regarding the latest update and the loss of sky+ features, you will also notice that you cannot rewind or dual record when this failure occurs, sky claim that they are working on a fix for this and have been for a while now, cant see it coming soon though.

in the mean time all you can do is run a planner rebuild, that fixes it temporarily, ive seen it go 2-3 weeks no probs then other days it will do it 3-4 times a day ... just yer luck really

enjoy ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greggers wrote:
    My mum has a Grundig plus box and doesn't have any problems, my dad however has the same Pace box as I have (v2)
    Grundig don't make Sky+ boxes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which box is it then? It's one of the very first Sky+ boxes.

Anyhow - Result! After reading the 22 page thread on here and realising how much of a common problem it is I rang tech Support this morning to have a rant. Didn't get far with the tech support woman and she said the only option was to have an engineer visit for £65, I told her that I am not paying £65 to fix a problem that they have caused and told her to cancel my contract. She put me through to another department who asked why after 6 years with them I wanted to leave, explained that I didn't WANT to leave, but I have no choice - I'm paying £40 a month for nothing. She said they would send an engineer for free, told her that's fine by me, but only any use if he has a new sky+ box with him, if he doesn't I'll phone up and cancel before he's left the house. So the engineer is coming in the morning. Fingers crossed I can bung him a few quid for an HD box :) Cheers guys.
  • Options
    JBlinkJBlink Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think you'll get an HD box! I also think you may well still suffer the live pause problem as the installer is likely to force a software update. Still a new (refurb) box will be good and it will have a 3 month warranty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've done that a dozen times in the last few months though, on my own and prompted to by tech support. Told them all this this morning.

Typically enough it's all behaving itself at the moment (it crashed earlier and I gave up completely and went out for the day).
  • Options
    sandman112sandman112 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    JBlink wrote:
    Don't think you'll get an HD box! I also think you may well still suffer the live pause problem as the installer is likely to force a software update. Still a new (refurb) box will be good and it will have a 3 month warranty.

well thats what i was led to believe to, 3 month warranty, but it seems that if you get a free service call as a good gesture then the 3 months warranty does not apply.

at least thats what i was told when i called up about the flaky hard drive in the refurb that i have just now. I'm just waiting for it to fail completely then im off to telewest TVDrive, if this box holds out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandman112 wrote:
    well thats what i was led to believe to, 3 month warranty, but it seems that if you get a free service call as a good gesture then the 3 months warranty does not apply.

at least thats what i was told when i called up about the flaky hard drive in the refurb that i have just now. I'm just waiting for it to fail completely then im off to telewest TVDrive, if this box holds out

Not heard that before but can quite believe Sky would try to get away with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    This is a problem known to sky which they say they are working 24 hours to fix !!
    Drop and email to them at

AllCustomerCareEscalation@BSkyB.com

and have a moan, they gave me 2 months at half price.

Cheers.

Thanks for address I've just sent them an e-mail

"Sky

I have had Sky+ for a number of years now, but since the latest software upgrade the functionality of the box hs been intermittent at best.
    Live pause – might as well forget it
    Rewind Live TV – again forget it.
    Dual Record – Generally if recording two programmes at the same time, if you go into planner only one shows as recording – you have to go to EPG and stop then restart recording once programme has started.
    Filed recordings – Increased number of failed recordings with Technical Fault numbers – shame nobody at Sky can tell customers what they are – I’m sure though that they all just mean your latest software upgrade was crap and screwed up the boxes.

Can you let me know when these problems will be fixed so that I can determine when to cancel my Sky subscription because I’m not paying £10 a month for Sky+ when it doesn’t work."

Hopefully they will at least admit their software is shit.

I'm dumping movies this week cause they are all crap - If they don't get Sky+ functionality fixed then I will be going down to just an £18 sub cause I'm not paying an extra £10 for it the way it is just now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandman112 wrote:

Is there a difference between a free service call where the installer checks the cabling, dish alignment etc and one where the installer simply switches the box for a "new" one? Either way, just because a services offered free it should not mean that no guarantee is offered on the work carried out. It would be like a plumber fixing a leak FOC with a piece of sellotape. Any legal eagles care to comment?
  • Options
    digikingdigiking Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    had my v3 box for 2 weeks and the live pause goes wrong almost every day-it's such a pain,lets hope it gets sorted out soon cos i'am fed up with turning it off at the wall to get it to work again!!
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a SKY+ V3 and my Live Pause has been fixed thanks to the downloaded bug fix.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel99 wrote:
    I have a SKY+ V3 and my Live Pause has been fixed thanks to the downloaded bug fix.

What bug fix :confused: I was not aware there had actually been one sent out :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All my ranting got me somwhere - I got a brand new thomson(?) box - still sealed when the engineer arrived which was a bonus... BUT - i think I have a different problem with this now.

Sounds cuts in and out on playback at times and sometimes the playback appears to be going in slow motion or something, you kinda watch the picture and wonder if it's your eyes or something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Hi, i am relativly new to sky+, I had a Pace PVR 3 installed on 8th December (upgrade from standard sky) and so far i have had 1 failed recording, it said run out of disk space eventhough i had 75% remaining, also the live pause screws up about once a week, i have found that doing a planner rebuild fixes the problem.

Is it worth contacting sky or is it due to sky's shabby software updates, i am reluctant to contact sky as they will go through their script then say we will get a new box etc.... Hassle!!

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markblt wrote:
    Hi, i am relativly new to sky+, I had a Pace PVR 3 installed on 8th December (upgrade from standard sky) and so far i have had 1 failed recording, it said run out of disk space eventhough i had 75% remaining, also the live pause screws up about once a week, i have found that doing a planner rebuild fixes the problem.

Is it worth contacting sky or is it due to sky's shabby software updates, i am reluctant to contact sky as they will go through their script then say we will get a new box etc.... Hassle!!

Any suggestions?

1 failed recording ain't bad. The Live Pause thing is well known and Sky are set to release an update. Posts on this forum indicate the update has been in beta test for some time and there was a rumour or suggestion that w/c 16th Jan would be its release date. Don't call Sky over this as you'll only get fed B.S.

A power cycle is also a good way to fix the LP problem. When I do have the problem I also get more failed recordings particularly when dual recording. The power cycle seems to bring peace and quiet for a while...
  • Options
    hedgidjhedgidj Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time just now with a live pause problem. Recorded Heatbeat but paused at the beginning then never counted up (-1min etc) and wouldn't start playing again. Tried to fast forward to no avail. Then tried to play recording from the beginning, said last viewed 71000 minutes odd!!. Lost the whole beginning. Did a quick planner rebuild and now seems to work. but not trusting it any more!!

Perhaps I'll go back to my trusty Manhatten ST550, I can at least record ITV on it now, and the live pause works!!

Should I do a power off or will the planner rebuild have sorted that does anyone think???
  • Options
    EmmGeeEmmGee Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    My live pause / instant rewind seems to have sorted itself out recently (which is nice).

I noted the usual live pause problem (nothing happening for a few seconds, then pausing but unable to resume viewing) a couple of weeks ago but didn't bother re-booting at the time.

I was watching the footy yesterday and wanted a cuppa so I thought "I don't suppose live pause will work but let's see" and it did!!!

Not sure how or why but it seems to have healed itself.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered if this live/pause had been fixed as I have tried it over the last week a number of times and it appears OK at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    There has been no known update. I think you are just lucky at the moment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have to identical sky+ boxes only a few months old one of them is fine but the 1 in my room is buggered

both seem to have the same firmware so i dont know if i actualy have a buggered box or not

"all you can do is run a planner rebuild" how do i do that?
    or an update?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    colinp wrote:
    i have to identical sky+ boxes only a few months old one of them is fine but the 1 in my room is buggered

both seem to have the same firmware so i dont know if i actualy have a buggered box or not

"all you can do is run a planner rebuild" how do i do that?
    or an update?

First try a power cycle. Unplug the box from the mains - leave 30-60 seconds, power back up. Wait a few minutes for it to reboot itself and press the standby button. That has always worked for me.

To do a planner rebuild, press in sequence "services", "4", "0", "1", "select". Don't look at the screen as there is no menu option "1", just press the buttons. This will bring up the hidden installer menu. select planner rebuild. It is non-destructive.