Options

Philips DVDR9000H/10

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this.

I don't want to pee on anyones bonfire but mines gonna go. It's nice having 5.1 recording functions but any discs recorded in 5.1 only playback in Dolby 2.0 on any other DVD player.

Looks like Philips crippled this unit for a reason.

If you know any different then let me know, because at the moment mines going back to Comet tomorrow! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I'll check this out as soon as possible Damian, but it means linking through my AV amp to (hopefully) convert from the optical out of the Sky+ box to the coaxial in of the DVDR7250H.

A few thoughts spring to mind first though. On most DVD players there is a button to select/switch through the different audio tracks that may be present on a DVD, have you tried this? It is entirely possible that the default track will be 2 channel.

Secondly, have you tried writing out to a write-once disk and then finalising it, i.e. a DVD+R or DVD-R. This should give the highest level of compatibility.

Failing this it may be intentional, as I understand from a friend in the trade that one of the main reasons for the delay in the appearance of 5.1 audio recording was copyright issues, the other being problems with lip-sync apparently.

Try and hold on changing it until I can get back to you on this, because if we can get 5.1 channel recording to work, then I think that this Philips is currently the only machine that offers it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AshleyH wrote:
    Perhaps we should start a thread for this particular machine now.
    Definitely. Maybe you could just c & p your post content as another new thread... and Damien too...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Hi chaps.

I've posted in the DVDR7250H thread now but its going back today as I see no way around it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking of getting an RD85DT, is it worth geting? do you connect it to an exteneral source such as sky or ntl. If so can you watch the external source and pause like you can with the inbuilt digital receiver?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    philips FAQ says about the digital 5.1 recording.... :cry:

Question
    If 5.1-channel recording is made and then archived, can it playback in 5.1-channel on a alternative player

Answer
    The 5.1-channel recording cannot playback on alternative player.

looks like its got its own 5.1 encoding/decoding chips...?

been waiting a couple of years for this too...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    slocoll, yes you can. All you are doing is recording a tv signal from AV1 as opposed to channel 1, 2, 3 etc .. . .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    JohnFol wrote:
    Just got the TOSHIBA RD85DT . Most excellent!!
    are you still impressed and happy? this model seems very good value and many other machines are falling by the wayside!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Most definitely.

Last night I transferred some wedding video over to the HDD. The tosh has stacks of editing features so I can create DVD's with a variety of menu styles, and can create my own chapters, title them etc..

most excellent!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys.
    I have one of these Philips Recorders and I love most of it. I also have the matching 9000 Receiver. I multizoned it trying the various "hacks" in Digital Spy until I got one that worked.
    I had to wait two months for mine but is was worth it as it is one of the few recorders that will reliably change the channel on our local set top box's. Unfortunately I cannot use a lot of it's features like the digital tuner, 5.1 sound and the pixel plus and some other features only work with a HDMI TV set which I don't have yet, but these will come. The remote has some "used a lot buttons" down near the bottom which is not good as it means resting the remote on the chair arm, or using two hands, but I would still give it a seven out of ten. Maybe even a seven and a half.
    If you like Philips gear and are lucky enough to see one for sale then grab it. My friend liked it enough to buy it and lug it all the way back to Australia, where he was still waiting for it to be released. I have now recorded over 60 TV shows automatically via its scheduled record, and the hard disk is still 72% free. Great for going away on holiday knowing all your favourites will be ready to watch when you return. Sure it has a few faults but hey, nothing is perfect first time. How many patches has Microsoft XP had to date? Some of my faults may be fixed as the Philips firmware is upgraded?
    If you have any questions I can try and answer them, but I am not an expert.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    2TRP wrote:
    Hi Guys.
    I have one of these Philips Recorders and I love most of it. I also have the matching 9000 Receiver. I multizoned it trying the various "hacks" in Digital Spy until I got one that worked.
    I had to wait two months for mine but is was worth it as it is one of the few recorders that will reliably change the channel on our local set top box's. Unfortunately I cannot use a lot of it's features like the digital tuner, 5.1 sound and the pixel plus and some other features only work with a HDMI TV set which I don't have yet, but these will come. The remote has some "used a lot buttons" down near the bottom which is not good as it means resting the remote on the chair arm, or using two hands, but I would still give it a seven out of ten. Maybe even a seven and a half.
    If you like Philips gear and are lucky enough to see one for sale then grab it. My friend liked it enough to buy it and lug it all the way back to Australia, where he was still waiting for it to be released. I have now recorded over 60 TV shows automatically via its scheduled record, and the hard disk is still 72% free. Great for going away on holiday knowing all your favourites will be ready to watch when you return. Sure it has a few faults but hey, nothing is perfect first time. How many patches has Microsoft XP had to date? Some of my faults may be fixed as the Philips firmware is upgraded?
    If you have any questions I can try and answer them, but I am not an expert.

Hi

I have one of the dvdr9000H recorders and was wondering which hack you used to make the recorder multi region.

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    jcoo wrote:
    Hi

I have one of the dvdr9000H recorders and was wondering which hack you used to make the recorder multi region.

Thanks

do you own DVDR9000H but are you live in the UK?? this recorder already withdraw by Philips last Jan as it not aviable in the UK.. Pioneer DVR540HX-S I own are great stuff and plenty of feature... Im much happy with it and it great with my Philips LCD TV. so you want to hack this into multi-region?? i dont think you may find any hack into multi-region for your recorder (my DVR540HX included multi-region that I didnt hack just bought as multi-region recorder)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi to the last two contributors.
    These are the instructions to make the DVDR9000H multi-region. I know they work because I have done it.

On the remote control.
    Press HDD Browser, ensure "Hard disc" is highlighted.
    Press "play"
    Enter the following numbers slowly on the remote control "159 (pause) 121212 005255"
    Press "play" again
    Press HDD browser before playing DVD disc.
    The DVDR player will return to normal operation and allowed to play discs from other regions.

To mjt03. I live in New Zealand. The best feature of the Philips DVDR9000H is with it's Remote Infra Red sender, it will change the chanels on a "set top box". Sky TV or whatever.
    Most of our country only receives three main TV chanels without a satellite box. It is therefore very important to get the satellite box to change channels to record all the other channels available.
    The little Philips IR sender does a great job of this, and is able to be set up to control a wide range of set tops. (Pace, RCA etc.)
    I know other Philips models also can do this as I also have their 720 model.

If the Pioneer does not have this feature then I would not even consider it.
    2TRP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjt03 wrote:
    do you own DVDR9000H but are you live in the UK?? this recorder already withdraw by Philips last Jan as it not aviable in the UK.. Pioneer DVR540HX-S I own are great stuff and plenty of feature... Im much happy with it and it great with my Philips LCD TV. so you want to hack this into multi-region?? i dont think you may find any hack into multi-region for your recorder (my DVR540HX included multi-region that I didnt hack just bought as multi-region recorder)

Hi

I am also from New Zealand and I have had the philips since 20/8/06 and I am finding it to be very good.
    I can also comfirm that the multi region hack does work as I have tried it on mine.

Thanks

James
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    jcoo wrote:
    Hi

I am also from New Zealand and I have had the philips since 20/8/06 and I am finding it to be very good.
    I can also comfirm that the multi region hack does work as I have tried it on mine.

Thanks

James

thanks I checked Philips in New Zealand and yes it avaiable as you can see /75 mean it for New Zealand, /05 is for UK but it not avaiable in the UK as Philips withdraw so I bought Pioneer DVR540HX-S with 160GB (455hrs) with GuidePlus and Digital EPG (Freeivew digital tuner).. nice one.. do you like your DVDR9000? I looked at the design that look nice but the feature Im look for digital tuner so Pioneer is one for me -- Im from NE Scotland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjt03 wrote:
    thanks I checked Philips in New Zealand and yes it avaiable as you can see /75 mean it for New Zealand, /05 is for UK but it not avaiable in the UK as Philips withdraw so I bought Pioneer DVR540HX-S with 160GB (455hrs) with GuidePlus and Digital EPG (Freeivew digital tuner).. nice one.. do you like your DVDR9000? I looked at the design that look nice but the feature Im look for digital tuner so Pioneer is one for me -- Im from NE Scotland

Hi

I do like my dvdr9000H I have found the picture quality is very good and the sound is also very good, I also have the matching receiver dfr9000 and the sacd/dvd player dvp9000s both of which I have had no problems with so overall this series by philips seems to be very good.
    The dvdr9000H also has a very good tuner I can't comment on the digital tuner or GuidePlus as we do not have them available yet should be by end of 2007 hopefully.
    The HQ and SP recording setting are very good quality and the 6 hour buffer is also handy when you switch the recorder on and after recording around 30 programs the hard disc still has 78% free space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi jcoo
    One of the key features of the Philips DVDR9000H is its ability to change the channels on your Sky docoder.
    Have you set yours up for that yet? You do not need to receive GuidePlus.
    2TRP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2TRP wrote:
    Hi jcoo
    One of the key features of the Philips DVDR9000H is its ability to change the channels on your Sky docoder.
    Have you set yours up for that yet? You do not need to receive GuidePlus.
    2TRP

hi there

I havn't set up that feature yet but I intend to next week while I am on leave from work.
    How do you find your receiver? I have found it to have excellent sound which is comparable to other well known brands

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi. From memory that is the bog Philips with the 400Gb hard drive. This recorder will change sky or freeview channels on the remote box itself using the little IR Blaster thing that plugs into he back of the recorder, and then sits in front of the set top box.
    I sold my 9000 to an Australian, as the digital tuner in it will not work in NZ when we introduce our digital, later this year. We are to use MPEG4, whereas the 9000 and Aussie use MPEG2, so I have been told. I had to give him the IR blaster too of course, and he uses it to change Foxtel channels, and I managed to get another one for my present Philips recorder, a DVDR7310H. It changes Sky channels without any problems.

Ron