Options

Disc is Dirty error message on new DVD

prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have got thru a 50 pack of the Philips DVD+R in a couple of months, and now using Philips DVD-R 1x8 on my Sony 510. I have started to see the Disc is Dirty error message when dubbing from and to DVD. Today the Sony turned itself OFF during dubbing to DVD and when turned on again took ages, with the Recovering message displayed.

I had already dubbed something to this DVD and when taken out it felt very hot. After machine and DvD cooled down, I continued dubbing with no further problems.

The fan works and is not blocked, There is a VCR sitting on top Since this happened I have put spacers in to give a gap of 1 inch beyween the Sony and the VCR.

Is there a chance that I have worn out the DVD drive in a couple of months???

Comments

• Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    Is there a chance that I have worn out the DVD drive in a couple of months???

It's probably just the discs. I'd be very surprised if you had managed to wear the drive out that quickly, even the discs that continually spinning up/down proably wouldn't manage that.

I've had discs here from the same batch that some work, and others give the disc dirty error. If you retry the same disc without removing it, it has a partial chance of working and after that no problems.

Try a different manufacturer or speed.

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris

It's been ok today, I am just dubbing now. At least it hasn't shut down again, that was quite worrying. I hope I dont have problems reading the Philips dvd's that I recorded to. I don't fancy starting to copy over again the 50 films to another make of dvd. I got rid of a Liteon 5045 because of dvd compatability problems (plus other probs.)

PC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunantly it got worse.-

I originally had a solid Disc is Dirty on Maxel DVD-R 1x8 shortly after purchase. Maxel DVD+r 1x8 worked OK.
    I then began using only Philips DVD+R and DVD-R both1x8, and all seemed ok. A few months later Getting (on both versions of Philips) intermittant Disc is dirty messages, when they are new or used once only. This happens when dubbing to them. When copying from them only some of the info is copied, I thought it funny when a 2 hour real time copy finished in twenty minutes). Am now being told some programs at the end of the disc are not playable in other players.
    So I phoned Sony and have taken the 510 into an approved shop for repair under warranty.

(Regarding the Sony shutting down I was asked if the machine was in a cupboard/restricted place as this can cause overheating and shutdown). But mine isn't.

I really hope that it will still read my other recordings when it returns.....

PC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The repair took about two weeks. The DVD drive was replaced. It still reads all the previously recorded discs, thankfully. The only hickup was within a couple of hours of getting it back I was recording from the front socket (line 2) and the machine shut down. Turning back on again took only a short while as "RECOVERING DISPLAYED". This had nothing to do with the DVD as I was recording from Line 2 to HDD. The two hours that it was recording had completely vanished from the HDD.
    Since then touch wood everything has been fine, I have recorded about 7 DVD's and there is about 10 hours of programs at SP on the HDD.
    I hope it was a one off, If anyone else has had shuttinging down experiences perhaps they could let me know and possibly put my mind at rest.

Thanks

PC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I had my HXD710 shut down on me a week ago while recording lost on Channel 4 from the internal Freeview tuner, first time its happened since I bought the machine in October '05

It did keep the footage it recorded when it shut down, and immeditatly started recording again when it came back to like after the recovery message.

I have a small Amstrad DXR100 Sky Digibox sat on top the 710 and haven't had any other problems like this.

Will soon be moving everything to a new entertainment unit and it will have it's own self then so hopefully help any over heating problems it that is the cause
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I've seen the "Disc is Dirty" and then the shut down and "Recovery" on my 710.
    The program I was trying to copy from HDD to DVD worked fine when I tried a DVD-RW formated to either Video or VR mode but got the messages when using a standard -R disc.
    The -Rs I've been using have been the cheapest of the cheap from the local computer shop. But still I waisted 3 or4 of them trying to copy one program as after the error message / crash the discs were unreadable.
    I put it down to some strangeness with the original recording as it crashed out at the same point in the copying process every time I tried (i.e. 15minutes in) and a -RW in VR mode will cope with all aspect ratio changes, sub sound and all.
    It is strange as copying to a -RW in VR mode is a lot more complicated than a standard -R.
    You've got me thinking now... Is mine faulty...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a bit worried as this is the second time since it's return from a DVD drive replacement a little over a week ago.

1. recording from line 2 to HDD shut down and the 2 hours of recording dissapeared.

2. manual recording a terrestial TV channell to HDD. At the end of program went to view it and found the unit locked out. No functions worked and after a frantic pressing of a number of keys the unit shut down. Then on turn on, Recovery was showing, and you've guessed it NO PROGRAM recorded to HDD.........

So have decided to format the HDD to give it a clean start incase the original shutdown had corrupted the HDD.

I will give it one more chance.....

PC