Options

DMRES20D Issues

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
Forum Member
Bought one of these today and it seems pretty good overall. However I have a few issues as follows :

1, Firmware 1.08, is this the latest ?

2, Navigation via the guide seems quite clunky. So to use the box as a day to day tuner might not be the best idea. Or you have the channel up and down buttons. You could put the channel number in directly but see below.

3, I get Freeview from Mendip and Wales. Mendip signal is alot strong than the welsh signal. However on tuning the Panny in it puts BBC 1 Wales as #1 and so on. The mendip channels are channel 800 plus. Sony and Pioneer Freeview box off the same signal work this out correctly !

Easy you'd think, manually tune the digital channel...no options.

Delete channels....again no options

Move channels....again no option

Re-number channels.......again no option.

You can do all the above on analogue channels. This is useless situation. I will be calling Panasonic asap but has anyone else had this problem ? This is only caused by the limited options on the software :(

You can set channel profiles, sort of like favorites I think. However unlike favorites on my pioneer has no bearing on where they appear when you change channels.

Overall a great machine so far but the limited digital tuning options make it a disappointing purhases. Even a cheapy £30 box from Tesco give me more channel control :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Got to agree - inability to delete channels and/or reorder them is a big omission.

I'm fortunate that it's only picking up my local transmitter, but I'd still like to remove the PPV channels that I can't view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I tried phone panasonic all day.... can't get through to them. I've emailed instead, says 24 hour reply service.....we'll see !
  • Options
    pgnlpgnl Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I have just bought a DMRES20D and am generally very pleased, yes the DTT tuner is inflexible, but otherwise the record quality is great.

I have one misgiving, and that is I tried looping a Sky Digibox through the recorder, since this is the suggested way to do it from the manual, but.... If you place the machine in the timer mode when the timer starts up, it switches the image to what it's recording.

What use is that? Surely most people would want to use it like a VCR and watch whats on SKY while it's recording, but since the box grabs control of the signal, that's out of the question..

I have sort of got around it by hooking it up using the component out.svid/scart to my TV (which has component inputs), at least then when it turns on I can manually switch the sky box on and off again to revert back to Sky, but of course I have lost the ability to record in RGB from the Digibox...

Anyone out there got around this? Or maybe I am just being thick!

Patrick
    Worcs...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've not set mine up properly yet, finally spoke to Panasonic today and they are sure there is a way to edit the digital channels and going to get back to me! We'll see....

The loop-thru issue seems a bit lame. I was going to loop my dvd/divx player RGB thru but your saying if I record while doing this I see the Panny not the thru signal. It does seem silly. Once I get my tuning issues sorted and install properly I'll play some more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a follow up to my previous post regarding Sky loop through...

It appears that the RGB out and S-Video/Component out, switching operates differently... i.e. With RGB out the Panny switches the Tv to the RGB scart when the power is switched on, i.e you can watch Freeview immediately... With SVideo/Component out, it only sends the switching signal to the appropriate scart when you press 'Guide' (i.e the EPG) or 'Navigator' or play, id doesn't when switched on - just like a VCR...

I have emailed Panasonic for advice and will let you know what they say..

I suppose thinking about it logically, most people would buy it to watch Freeview on and occasional recording.. You'd think they would at least give you option to choose whether it behaves like a Freeview box or a VCR...

Patrick
    Worcs..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No call back, no reply to my email query.... Phoning again, 5th time I got through to someone. Helpdesk people are very nice and polite but its becoming a little tedious and the hold music is doing my head in!!! They don't seem to log into or queries so you have to start again each time! I'm stuck in Panasonic Groundhog day I think :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well its been confirmed there are no digital channel management options. I asked them to forward to the software / product design people as its a major flaw ! They suggested I get a refund and if the retails has a problem with this Panasonic will confirm this is a problem with no fix.

Joy ! :-\
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've just bought one of these and have found the lack of ability to remove unwanted digital channels annoying.

Also, when your in the EPG you can't get programme info. You can only get it from the now/next banner.

Surely, Panasonic can do a software update for this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please hassle them... the more people that do the more chance they might do an update. Phone them up, email them ! I'm going to pester them some more yet as its a design flaw having no channel management.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Mark1811 wrote:
    I've just bought one of these and have found the lack of ability to remove unwanted digital channels annoying.

Also, when your in the EPG you can't get programme info. You can only get it from the now/next banner.

Surely, Panasonic can do a software update for this!

But other than that and the other points raised this a decent recorder ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's a good recorder.
    Recorded picture quality is excellent in XP (2 hr mode) and not half bad in LP (4hr mode), especially using the in built Freeview tuner.
    The menus are sensibly laid out and straightforward, although the Freeview guide is a bit clunky if your used to using Sky's EPG.
    It's good value considering you can get if for £180 now (Curry's & Comet).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark1811 wrote:
    Yeah, it's a good recorder.
    Recorded picture quality is excellent in XP (2 hr mode) and not half bad in LP (4hr mode), especially using the in built Freeview tuner.
    The menus are sensibly laid out and straightforward, although the Freeview guide is a bit clunky if your used to using Sky's EPG.

Thanks for that, I'm freeview all round, so am used to the vagueries (if there is such a word) of their EPG's. I presume the chase play facility behaves itself...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NX3 wrote:
    Well its been confirmed there are no digital channel management options. I asked them to forward to the software / product design people as its a major flaw ! They suggested I get a refund and if the retails has a problem with this Panasonic will confirm this is a problem with no fix.

Joy ! :-\

You can reorder the channels till your heart is content using the (4) profile options. having done this and selected your preferred option, each time you return to EPG listing this chosen profile will be shown, by default, but I agree its not the best EPG I've seen, and I reckon I've seen a few, I've done nothing but take stuff back this year. I've ended up with this and the Fussion 200 and am, for now, pleased with both ! Happy Christmas everyone and thanks for the Info I have gained in these forums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well having lived with it for a while its a very good unit. Fixed the tuning by taking to someone else house who only gets signal from one transmitter. Shame Panasonic won't fix this or give more options for the digital tuner other than auto-tune.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fixed mine by starting the scan with no aerial plugged in until it got to the point of the preferred local transmitter..... touch and go because the 2 local transmitters are banded 42-51 & 52-66 (and of course I wanted the 52-66 one) - then I notice that it's autoadded the other transmitter over the last week or so, but it's kept the channels where they were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I have had a Pace Twin for a while and it has its flaws - recording and playback unreliable etc. So I decided to add a DVD recordable machine and the Panasonic came generally recommended. But I have had nothing but grief from it.

1 Instructions hard to follow - interface totally baffling

2 Tried to copy from the hard disk of the Pace. It ran for 9 minutes then the Panasonic gave up with an error saying it could not continue recording (the Pace was still shipping out its signal because you could see it in the background). Further attempts to record would not even start.

3 Panasonic machine now switches off after a few minutes every time. There is nothing in the instructions about this.

So it's going back to Richer Sounds. Trouble is, there don't seem to be any better machines out there - anyone with experience of a Sony?
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Agreed on the lack of programme info in the EPG. How am I supposed to check whether I am setting it to record a new episode of '24' or a repeat of the one earlier this week, without waiting until the programme details come up on the Now/Next for that channel?

A relative has the Panny TUCT-30, which AFAIK does retrieve programme info for any time in the EPG, so I'm confident a SW upgrade could fix this.

Has anyone had this problem though: I keep setting my TV connection to 4:3 Letterbox in the setup menu, but after the box is turned off for a long time (typically overnight) it seems to have forgotten the setting. You turn it on and channels normally broadcast in widescreen are suddenly back in 4:3 centre cutout, while channels like ITV2/E4 actually have the aspect ratio slightly wrong with black bars all round the screen.

A look at the settings menu still suggests it's set to 4:3 Letterbox, but if you re-save this setting hey presto everything's back to Letterbox and it's fixed.

It also seems to forget which profile you were in if it's turned off for a long time (I don't use the 'all services' profile - why would you want a profile with TUTV channels the box is incapable of receiving in it!!??) - again I don't know if this is just me or a common problem.

If this is happening to other people hopefully it can be fixed in the SW upgrade as it's a trifle annoying.

I'm using version 1.08 by the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Mark1811 wrote:

And now down to £140 at TotalDigital in Birmingham! :D

Any experience of this retailer, anyone?
  • Options
    W99W99 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I can't see a MUTE button on my remote control for my DMRES20D.

How can a MUTE button be ommitted?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jayemcee wrote:
    And now down to £140 at TotalDigital in Birmingham! :D

Any experience of this retailer, anyone?

Still cheaper at Currys, delivered:http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=6840089&postcount=33
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bonburton wrote:

Well spotted! But it's region 2 and the Birmingham one says it's multi-region. Is there a hack?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jayemcee wrote:
    Well spotted! But it's region 2 and the Birmingham one says it's multi-region. Is there a hack?

No see :http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=6654477&postcount=5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now that is quite offputting. I suppose the sensible thing to do is to buy a region 2 at the best price and wait till you actually need to play a disc from another region before doing anything :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jayemcee wrote:
    Now that is quite offputting. I suppose the sensible thing to do is to buy a region 2 at the best price and wait till you actually need to play a disc from another region before doing anything :confused:

Yes, both John Lewis and Richer sounds have put their prices up since the begining of January. Multi region is not an issue for me, I use mine for time sliping Radio (8 hour EP and 16 timers is quite adequate and you can listen to one while your recording another) and the not infrequent occasions when at 9.00 in the evening there are more than 2 tv progs I would like to see (The fussion 200 looks after the rest) If you go for one, then see http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=6679565&postcount=1 for best price RAM DVD, they're in stock now, mine have just arrived.