Antenna/RF connections

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
Forum Member
I have placed an order for a TF5800 and expect delivery quite soon. I’ve had a look at the manual in advance of my setting the thing up and have the following query - probably will sound a bit naïve but here goes anyway! Why are there 2 antenna inputs as well as RF IN and RF OUT inputs. And what’s this business about RF LOOP connections? Does each tuner require a separate aerial connection?

From my location I receive good signals (via separate aerials) from both the Wenvoe (South Wales) and Mendips (SW England) transmitters. When I first saw that there were 2 antenna inputs I thought that I may be able to feed both aerial inputs into the PVR and benefit from local programme variations. But I would guess now that is not the case? Any comments would be gratefully received! Cheers. Bob

Comments

• klunkklunk Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are two antenna inputs to give you the option of using two antennae, or a split and amplified input from one antenna, for maximum signal quality. But if you have a good signal already, you can just loop from one to the other with the short cable provided (apparently a poor quality cable - some people have replaced it). That's what I do, and although my signal is merely OK I haven't noticed any signal degradation on the second tuner.

As for using two antennae pointing to different transmitters, interesting idea. The box would have to know which tuner to use when you schedule a recording... I'd be interested to know if it can cope with this myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your comments - the picture is getting clearer (excuse the pun) - but what then are the RF IN and RF OUT connections used for?
  • bellandbottlebellandbottle Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Bobonong wrote:
    I have placed an order for a TF5800 and expect delivery quite soon. I’ve had a look at the manual in advance of my setting the thing up and have the following query - probably will sound a bit naïve but here goes anyway! Why are there 2 antenna inputs as well as RF IN and RF OUT inputs. And what’s this business about RF LOOP connections? Does each tuner require a separate aerial connection?

From my location I receive good signals (via separate aerials) from both the Wenvoe (South Wales) and Mendips (SW England) transmitters. When I first saw that there were 2 antenna inputs I thought that I may be able to feed both aerial inputs into the PVR and benefit from local programme variations. But I would guess now that is not the case? Any comments would be gratefully received! Cheers. Bob

Over on www.toppy.org.uk , you will find some installation guides and most of the answers to your questions. It is particularly important that you visit there at the moment, because an Over The Air update is due this weekend.

Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bobonong wrote:
    Thanks for your comments - the picture is getting clearer (excuse the pun) - but what then are the RF IN and RF OUT connections used for?
    RF OUT is used when you whan to include the Topfield's output as an analogue channel in the signal on the antenna cable i.e. remodulated output. RF LOOP 1 and RF LOOP 2 just pass RF through, they don't add anything to the signal, so if you connected them to the aerial socket of an analogue TV you would only get the analogue channels. If you want remodulated output you need to loop from RF LOOP2 to RF IN (or feed RF directly to RF IN). Although I'm not sure why they don't just put the modulated signal on RF LOOP2.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your comments! My machine was delivered today and I have connected as you describe. Everthing seems to be OK and I am curently playing with it to find my way around the menus/options.

One thing - (wrong thread really, sorry) I read on the Firebox site that you can record linked series of programmes - eg. Eastenders/Corrie etc. Is this possible? Or maybe only with the aid of a TAP? I have wondered how this could work given that scheduled times and days for programme series often vary through the week.

Thanks again both of you for your help. Cheers. Bob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without the use of TAPs, you can only do simple repeat recordings - daily, weekly, weekdays, weekends. With Jag's EPG TAP you can record any programme whose title matches a pattern that you provide. Not quite as easy as a Sky+ Series Link, but not that difficult either. You highlight Eastenders, say, in Jag's EPG and then press the Slow Motion button to be taken to a screen where you can adjust the recording settings. From then on it will record anything with "eastenders" in the title.

There are tricks you can use to avoid inadverently recording similarly-titled programmes like "The Truth Behind EastEnders". There's a very good user guide at www.toppy.org.uk.
    Forum Member
    Thanks again 'Klunk' you obviously know your stuff. This machine looks like fun! Regards. Bob