Options

EPG > one week?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
Forum Member
Hi all,

Is there any way (apart from a manual record option) to record something that is coming on in more than one week's time?

I ask this because sometimes things are advertised well in advance of their air time and then I'll forget all about them, not see another advert, then won't get chance to see it.

I'm guessing the answer is not, but it would be nice to be able to use the EPG to automatically set a recording, especially if you're going away for a week or two.

Thanks,

Grendel.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Is there any way (apart from a manual record option) to record something that is coming on in more than one week's time?
    Unfortunately not.
    And manual record isn't exactly ideal for this either, as manual record won't let you record more than a week in advance either (the "date" option is limited to Mon-Sun"). Or course there is nothing to stop you setting a repeating recording for the "correct" day - but you will get at least one recording (i.e. this weeks) that you don't want....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

I ask this because sometimes things are advertised well in advance of their air time and then I'll forget all about them, not see another advert, then won't get chance to see it.

I'm guessing the answer is not, but it would be nice to be able to use the EPG to automatically set a recording, especially if you're going away for a week or two.

Thanks,

Grendel.

Iv heard that Sky are actually planning on a feature aimed at recording a show seen on advertisement.

Being refered to as ACR (Advanced Comercial Recording) its quite similar to the way you access an interactive advert.

When a movie is advertised like say Today on Sky Movies a show is advertised for January 23rd, a coloured icon will appear. thus allowing you to press the coloured button on your remote control, this should then take you to your planner and show your future recording.

When i heard this i though it was a great idea. I guess it will use a lot less space on the epg if they done it this way rather than sticking a months worth of viewing in.

Dunno when its planned to launch tho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    But I assume this feature wouldn't work if you are watching something you have previously recorded, as the interactive features are disabled on recordings.

So assuming that most of us never watch live tv, as we all have sky+, the feature would be useless.

Sky, why not just give us a 2 week planner instead?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thx1138 wrote:
    But I assume this feature wouldn't work if you are watching something you have previously recorded, as the interactive features are disabled on recordings.

So assuming that most of us never watch live tv, as we all have sky+, the feature would be useless.

Sky, why not just give us a 2 week planner instead?

I'll vote for that. There always seems something greater than a week to remember. Admitedley I usually remember in the week, but not always.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    thx1138 wrote:
    Only because Sky decide not to record it - But they DO record the subtitle stream, even though you may not have subtitles enabled at the time. There's no reason why they couldn't record the "Press GREEN" (or whatever) data to create a series link.

The only reason they don't record the interactive stuff is because it almost certainly wouldn't work very well - or basically not at all if the interactive content changes transponders and video audio streams (the box couldn't possibly record all the streams required at the time "just in case"). ACM doesn't require any of those advanced features, it just a small amount of data which would tell the box "bring up a dialogue saying 'press green to add this program to your planner'".

I'd be surprised if Sky hadn't thought of what would happen for Sky+ users who watch most things recorded. After all it's a feature primarily (if not exclusively) targetted at Sky+ users. It seems a fairly obvious requirement (yes, I'm well aware of their track record on such things... :o ).