Options

Is 26" the minimum size for HDTV

Ive read that 26" is the smallest size for HDTV reception but I have also seen 23" HDTV ready sets on the market .....im confused ??? I am looking at getting a 2nd set and would prefer a 23" for that room ....

cheers

Paul

Comments

• Options
    camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore people who say " xx inches is the minimum for HDTV" There is no minimum and I've seen 19" HD displays and there's no reason they can't be smaller

Of course, the bigger the TV the better you'll be able to see smaller details
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    It's all to do with how close to sit to the display.
    I've just ordered a Dell 24" PC display, and the image will be relatively big as I sit very close.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    definately no minimum, but it's down to what's going to sell really -
    a 7" x 3.5" (roughly, for example) screen just wouldn't sell well, even though that could quite easily support say 1920x1080.

i suppose it's a bit like the smaller (sub 20") widescreen tvs that just didn't do the business and were dropped early on.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    There isnt a set minimum display, but having HDTV on a small screen really doesnt reap the benefit of the service you are paying for compared to a larger screen like 37" for example.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The human Eye typically resolves down to one minute of arc.

Thus there is no point in having a display which has a pixel size that is less than this at normal viewing distances.

So as you have larger displays ( and assuming that your living room does not expand!!) - SD has will not resolve as fine as you can see and thus HD will certainly look better. for 1080i or 720p (which have the same Vertical resolution) this works OK up to around 42" to 50" - above that 1080P ....

So if you are closer ...HDTV will give a benefit - and LCDs are made for Broadcasters -
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    High definition is a definition of the pixel size as received on the retina - therefore the size of the display is irrelevant - if you can project an accurate image in front of the eye onto something as small as your pupil then it is big enough. Large TVs - like large widescreen cinema screens are for social reasons. We could soon have the HD equivalent of both 'Head Phones' ('EyeScreens' ??) and Drive in Cinemas - although the social aspects of the 'Drive-in' are lost on me.

I forgot that the viewing distance for HD is specified ... AFAIK it is between three and four times the height of the display ... so the larger the screen the further away and vice-versa. - and therefore you should look at where you sit and where the display will be to decide how big it should be - a large screen in a room where you cannot get far enough away will be very overpowering. 32" screens are about 43cm high - so the (minimum) viewing distance is therefore about 1.3 - 1.8 m - which would seem quite close compared with what we are used to !
    Do remember that SDTV on the same device will be appalling at these distances so untill HDTV is de-rigeur we may wish to watch at rather greater distances than the 'ideal'

WRT computers - we find it very noticeable that users changing from a CRT monitor to a similar sized LCD monitor move the display away - roughly to the back of where the CRT monitor was. This is not for space reasons as many have plenty of space behind the CRT and plenty between the keyboard and the LCD. Often the resolution jump from (say) 800x600 to commonly 1280x1024 gives them much smaller Icons - but they barely notice except they wonder why the trash can that was at the bottom right is now near the middle of the display. BTW - do not bother with 19" LCDs - they cost more but (usually) have the same resolution as 17" ones - a 20"+ LCD does have a higher resolution though (often 1600x1200).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    Ive read that 26" is the smallest size for HDTV reception but I have also seen 23" HDTV ready sets on the market .....im confused ??? I am looking at getting a 2nd set and would prefer a 23" for that room ....

cheers

Paul
    Note that a 23" WS HDTV will have an ideal viewing distance of less than 1m - do you really want sit this close to get the full effect ?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    WRT computers - we find it very noticeable that users changing from a CRT monitor to a similar sized LCD monitor move the display away - roughly to the back of where the CRT monitor was. This is not for space reasons as many have plenty of space behind the CRT and plenty between the keyboard and the LCD.

The eyes don't like having to accommodate things that are close ... I take your point about CRTs not being moved back, but I reckon that's a combination of (a) people not understanding how things would improve if they did, combined with (b) CRTs being heavy and hard to lift when on a desk. LCDs are light, so folks can easily discover that moving one away is more comfy.
  • Options
    Farsley ManFarsley Man Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    BTW - do not bother with 19" LCDs - they cost more but (usually) have the same resolution as 17" ones QUOTE]

This is true, but the screen size is bigger even though the resolution is the same.