Sky by Broadband will not work

mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've started a new thread as I didn't want this lost.

I have installed it and started downloading a couple of films, all well and good until it crashed. An unknown error

So I loaded it again, and get:

"It appears that you are logging in from a different PC. Only one PC can use Sky by Broadband (.. Please ring our very expensive and long lasting phone number)"

Well as far as I'm concerned I am only using it on one PC through Wireless, and unless it is hidden somewhere in the terms and conditions, I can't see why it won't work this way

If this is the best they can do, then well done Sky, another quality product. I want to use it and am very annoyed that it won't let me

Please help someone

EDIT: I have a Thomson Speedtouch 580 router connected to another PC, and my computer I'm using for Sky by Broadband which has a network adaptor. Does changing the network name cause the software to think it's a different machine? I'm only saying that because I've changed the network name to "Any" which it seems to default to sometimes for no reason, and it now works. So I've a feeling that when it stopped working before was when I changed the network name

Comments

• mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Quick Hint:

You can access the downloaded videos in

C:\Program Files\KService\downloads

Right-Click and Play with Media Player
  • mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they only work with Media Player or can I play them on other software such as Realplayer (which although it is quite a bloated piece of software seems less prone to crashing on my computer than Winamp or Itunes)

I spoke too soon about it working. It showed the films I was downloading but to see a list of all the content required me to log in, and I got that blasted message again.
  • DavidHoldenDavidHolden Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Apologies for the title-but it should warn people I'm getting technical hear.

Downloaded the software and attempted installation, but each time it appears to almost complete the configuration of .net framework it crashes. I'm getting an error regarding "an exception ' system.reflection.targetinvocationexception' has occurred in sl3.tmp.

Now, I'm a software engineer and already had the framework installed.

Sky telephone staff couldn't help-someone else will email me-hopefully the developers.

Anyone know which version of the NET framework is being used?
  • mattyl149mattyl149 Posts: 2,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi David, as you said you are a software engineer, do you know why it thinks I'm using a different computer? I've rebooted a few times and closed and restarted the software. I'm also getting runtime errors on KService for it.

I presume the films aren't downloading as I'm not logged in. Then again looking at when the files were last modified I could be wrong about that
  • DavidHoldenDavidHolden Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Sorry difficult to say without running it myself-which I cannot yet :) . However if you post more details on your problem I may be able to help, if I get it running myself. However this is a big maybe.
  • meatonmeaton Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Apologies for the title-but it should warn people I'm getting technical hear.

Downloaded the software and attempted installation, but each time it appears to almost complete the configuration of .net framework it crashes. I'm getting an error regarding "an exception ' system.reflection.targetinvocationexception' has occurred in sl3.tmp.

Now, I'm a software engineer and already had the framework installed.

Sky telephone staff couldn't help-someone else will email me-hopefully the developers.

Anyone know which version of the NET framework is being used?

Which version of the framework do you have installed? I have both 1.0(with 1.1 update) and 2.0 and i didnt get any problems, nor did it install or attempt to install either framework version. Try uninstalling SBB make sure/reinstall both framework versions and then try installing SSB again.

Hope this helps.

Michael
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am also getting the "It appears you are logging in from a different PC", but this is the first time that I have run the program and I installed the 1.1 framework that came with the download. What could be wrong?

Paddy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    mattyl149 wrote:
    I've started a new thread as I didn't want this lost.

I have installed it and started downloading a couple of films, all well and good until it crashed. An unknown error

So I loaded it again, and get:

"It appears that you are logging in from a different PC. Only one PC can use Sky by Broadband (.. Please ring our very expensive and long lasting phone number)"

I got this error (also connecting via a wireless router -Belkin) and rang the expensive phone number. They said something about identifying the computer through it's motherboard? id. Anyway he said he would probably have to get my computer unregistered and I'd have to sign-up again with a different username/password. Unfortunately he didn't know when he'd be able to get someone to do it!
    Maybe I'm already logged in and just need to wait a while and try again although it's been at least an hour now and still no joy.
  • meatonmeaton Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    mattyl149 wrote:
    Hi David, as you said you are a software engineer, do you know why it thinks I'm using a different computer? I've rebooted a few times and closed and restarted the software. I'm also getting runtime errors on KService for it.

I presume the films aren't downloading as I'm not logged in. Then again looking at when the files were last modified I could be wrong about that

Hi Matt, I'm going to go with Yes, changing the network/computer name would possibly make skybybroadband think it was on a different computer.

I'm thinking sky went a bit too far in their one pc only terms...

michael
  • desm52desm52 Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I got the error about logging on from a different PC. I registered two accounts, one the primary account holder and another for someone else in the house. I first tried to login as the second user, got this error, I then logged in as the primary account holder and got in fine.
  • maracmarac Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    tell us about movies quallity ?

resolution , bitrate...

thanks in advance
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    I got this error (also connecting via a wireless router -Belkin) and rang the expensive phone number. They said something about identifying the computer through it's motherboard? id. Anyway he said he would probably have to get my computer unregistered and I'd have to sign-up again with a different username/password. Unfortunately he didn't know when he'd be able to get someone to do it!
    Maybe I'm already logged in and just need to wait a while and try again although it's been at least an hour now and still no joy.

When you connect to the Internet via a router, the ISP assigns a single IP address to the router (as the actual connection point) and the router then assigns private addresses to the various PCs and wireless access points that are connected to it.

If the PC sends its address to Sky then it may be that the Sky software doesn't like seeing the address sent by the PC as being different to the source address on the actual data from the ISP. They may be doing that as an anti-piracy thing, to stop people setting up a central server & sharing files across the net.

This is all guesswork, but there are other protocols (like NetMeeting) which don't like seeing equipment connected via routers that play games with IP addresses.

As for identifying the computer through the motherboard, apart from the processor ID itself (which Microsoft claim they do not use) the only other such address would be the Ethernet (MAC) address. That would be sent to the router, but it wouldn't make it all the way across the Internet to Sky, so unless Sky have some other sneaky address hidden somewhere (sneaky?, Sky? :o ) it sounds like the usual clueless Sky customer disservice type.
  • mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    During the installation process for the Sky by broadband Application, we will detect and store the machine name, KontikiNodeId, CPU, PC bios, videocard, network card and IDE Controller information specific to your computer system, for the purposes of identifying your computer system and your eligibility to access and use the Service each time you log-in to the Service. If three or more of these features of your computer system change at any time, you will no longer be able to access the Service via that computer system and you will have to contact the Sky by broadband call centre on +44 (0)870 6094508.
  • covfancovfan Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a different error

Error 1722: There is a problem with this windows install package. A program ran as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
  • nutty88nutty88 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    covfan wrote:
    I've got a different error

Error 1722: There is a problem with this windows install package. A program ran as part of the setup did not finish as expected.

I got that too. The Kontiki client is failing to install. I got round it by going to http://www.kontiki.com/ and installing it from there. Click the Live Webcast and it'll install it. Then try installing Sky For Broadband. Worked for me
  • ashyukashyuk Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im getting confused plz help me
    is there a charge to use this sky broadband..
    i do subscribe to full package on sky digital...
  • covfancovfan Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for that mate, solved my problem as well.

Now I've got the same problem as the first user, it thinks I've logged on at more than one location.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    My problem is that when i register my account at czone.sky.com, it keeps taking me back to the first page of the registration. I have tried to login with the name i registered on the broadband software but it's not working. Can anyone help
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    ashyuk wrote:
    im getting confused plz help me
    is there a charge to use this sky broadband..
    i do subscribe to full package on sky digital...

No, it will be free for you. Install the software and go, all you need is a UK/ROI broadband connection.

Sports subscribers gets Sky Sports highlights, Sky Movies subscribers gets films, subscribers to Sky World get both.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to sign in there now after it didn't work yesterday.

I got the "Unable to detect connection, try again". So I did, then I got:

"You are using an IP address thats not in the UK or RoI, contact your Internet Provider.

What?!

EDIT!!! Now it's letting me sign in, but when I click on Sky Movies it says a serious error has occured and it can't access my Library! Jesus, this is worse than Sky's EPG software!!!

Paddy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    i have the same problem i got kicked off sayin my login expired and then when i tired to log back in says It appears that you are logging in from a different PC. Only one PC can use Sky by Broadband.

Whats up with that?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I have installed it twice and on both occasions I'm getting error messages such as "your running sky by broadband on a different computer" and "you have to upgrade to sky movies/sports to use this service.

I'm running sky by broadband on 1 computer and I have the full sky package.

I have just deactivated the sky by broadband subscription. I wont be wasting my time downloading it again :mad:
  • BCtomBCtom Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant create a sky.com account. Just says I need to enter the correct viewing card number, which I am!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Same problem here, enter a valid nviewing card number... :(
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have signed up to a sky.com account, and signed up for sky by broadband, but i dont know where download the actual software! please help