Options

Deleted recorded programmes keep returning

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
Forum Member
Apologies if this has been posted before - I couldn't find anything using Search.

I've recorded some programmes on my new 9200 and, having watched them, deleted them. I did this using Menu - Record - Recorded Programmes, and then selected a programme, pressed OK and chose the Delete option, confirming the warning message.

After I did this, the recorded programmes page was empty.

I switched on today having programmed Countdown to record. As well as this, two of the three previous (deleted) programmes appeared in the recorded programme list!

Does anyone know how this can be?
Am I doing something wrong?
When I've watched all my recorded stuff, should I reformat the disc (there's nothing I want to keep once it's been watched) to try and reset things?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    undecided wrote:
    Apologies if this has been posted before - I couldn't find anything using Search.

I've recorded some programmes on my new 9200 and, having watched them, deleted them. I did this using Menu - Record - Recorded Programmes, and then selected a programme, pressed OK and chose the Delete option, confirming the warning message.

After I did this, the recorded programmes page was empty.

I switched on today having programmed Countdown to record. As well as this, two of the three previous (deleted) programmes appeared in the recorded programme list!

Does anyone know how this can be?
    Am I doing something wrong?
    When I've watched all my recorded stuff, should I reformat the disc (there's nothing I want to keep once it's been watched) to try and reset things?
    Thanks

I believe this is a known problem. Try searching the forums for "ghost recordings".

I've not had the problem myself but, from what I've read, it sounds like some sort of corruption in the directory of recordings on the disk. If you have nothing you want to keep then I would strongly advise reformatting because once the directory is corrupt I suspect this may be the only way to fix it.

Better to do it sooner rather than realise later, after recording something indispensible, that you should have done it, IMHO.

It would be interesting to try to pin down the circumstances under which this fault occurs. Did anything unusual happen (eg power cut) prior to your observing the fault? It has also been suggested that turning the Hummy off then on again without a decent pause in between can lead to problems. Could this apply in your case?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    "undecided"

Before you do anything, I would strongly recommend that you phone Humax (the number is in the back of the manual).

They will probably tell you to reformat the disk, but you never know, they might have a better solution. More importantly, it gives them another snippet of information that may help them sort out these problems with ghost/missing recordings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    mfmf wrote:
    "undecided"
    Before you do anything, . . .
    MFMF - Sorry, because they kept coming back, I tried reformatting the disc and they seem to have gone away. I did not report it to Humax first; sorry. Stupidly, I didn't try to play back these ghost recordings either, so I don't know if it was just the index that was recovered or the actual programmes as well. :o

Keith
    Interesting list of things in your posting; I think they apply to me. The Hummy locked up on me so I recycled with the main switch at the back (nothing else worked). Being an ex programmer, my version of the engineer's reset was a fast OFF/ON - but this did not unlock it. I tried this two or three times before, in desperation, switching off and leaving it for a few minutes. On switch on this time, it was back to normal.
    So the unusual event was a lock up (not a power out) and I did then not give a decent pause between OFF and ON.
    Pretty good machine, though, isn't it? (Assuming it's not going to keep locking up!)