Copy media from PC to Humax

bcuttsbcutts Posts: 15
Forum Member
The first 9200T I bought had a fault but before I sent it back, I copied the programmes I hadn't watched to my PC using the Media Elinker software.

I had hoped that when I got the replacement unit I could copy the files back in the same manner but every time I try it, the process fails. Is this because you cannot copy video media back to the unit or have I missed something?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bcutts wrote:
    The first 9200T I bought had a fault but before I sent it back, I copied the programmes I hadn't watched to my PC using the Media Elinker software.

I had hoped that when I got the replacement unit I could copy the files back in the same manner but every time I try it, the process fails. Is this because you cannot copy video media back to the unit or have I missed something?

I think this has been attempted before but so far as I can see nobody has found a way to use the software/or other to put stuff on to the Humax hard drive for viewing apart from MP3s and Pictures.

Looks as though you will have to watch them on your PC or DVD. But good thinking in the first place for downloading them before sending the machine back if you still wanted to watch them. Maybe someone/Humax can write a utility for the purposes of backing up and restoring programmmes back onto the Humax.
  • brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bcutts wrote:

Someone said that if they gave the file they were copying back the same name as an existing file on the Humax then the copied file would replace it.

So :-
    - make a small recording on the humax,
    - note the name given to it by the Humax
    - Rename a backed up file on your PC to match
    - upload it to the humax.
    - Play it on the Humax
    - Tell us if it works!
  • bcuttsbcutts Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. With regard to the naming convention suggested, I copied the files and retained their original names so it seems that keeping the name doesn't work.

Looks like I will have to watch them on my PC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I've misunderstood, you've uploaded the files with their original names.

You need to rename them after existing recordings on your new box before you upload them in order to overwrite the existing recordings (don't use the name of a recording you've yet to view! ;) ).
  • brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sdc395 wrote:
    Unless I've misunderstood, you've uploaded the files with their original names.

You need to rename them after existing recordings on your new box before you upload them in order to overwrite the existing recordings (don't use the name of a recording you've yet to view! ;) ).

To rephrase....
    - make your new recording of a TV programme with a short one-word name.
    - Then as 'sdc395' says. play it back
    then...
    - note the name given to it by the Humax
    - Rename a backed up file on your PC to match using elinker
    - upload it to the humax.
    - Play it on the Humax
    - Tell us if it works!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I think you're probably asking for trouble if you try to trick the 9200T by overwriting recordings it has made with files uploaded from a PC. There is nothing in the manual to suggest that it is supported.

Personally, I wouldn't try it if there was anything on the disk I didn't mind losing, as it's quite possible that this kind of thing could mess up the file tables and require a re-format to put things right again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    mfmf wrote:
    I think you're probably asking for trouble if you try to trick the 9200T by overwriting recordings it has made with files uploaded from a PC. There is nothing in the manual to suggest that it is supported.

Personally, I wouldn't try it if there was anything on the disk I didn't mind losing, as it's quite possible that this kind of thing could mess up the file tables and require a re-format to put things right again.

I'd tend to agree, but as, presumably, this box is brand new with no recordings yet this would appear to be the ideal time to test this out as there is nothing to lose...

Regards

David
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I had a quick go at this, and was able to download a programme, rename it to the same as another on the 9200, upload it, and it played fine.

I never got around to looking for a program that would convert, say an avi, to the correct MPEG TS format to upload that.
    I did try Videolan, but whilst it will transcode to mpeg_ts there was no control over resolution or bitrates, which it needs.

If anyone can think of any, I'll happily test :) although it may be possible with tmpgenc, I'm not sure
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it therefore possible to backup all recordings to PC, reformat the Humax disk and restore to factory defaults and then put the recordings back on to the Humax? You dont need some other entires to be already in some sort of table or anything on te sorce Humax?

The reason I ask is if you needed to exange your Humax because it developed a fault, could you back up the programmes you havent watched and then transfer them all on to a completely different Humax.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I only tried renaming a downloaded file to the same as something already on the box, and uploading that.
    If I get time to move the pvr tonight so the USB reaches, I'll have a go at uploading with a new filename in the same naming convention
  • bcuttsbcutts Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Thanks to all of you. I was using the original filename when trying to upload back to the box. Since then I have managed to get the unit to overwrite a file already on it and get it to play as suggested. My initial failure was due to the fact that there was nothing recorded on the replacement box when I tried to upload.

Overall I am very impressed with the unit having come from Sky+. My only complaints are the usual 'no automaitic padding' and 'no chase play' but I am hoping that Humax will sort this out within the next few months.

many thanks to you all and a Happy New Year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bcutts wrote:
    Thanks to all of you. I was using the original filename when trying to upload back to the box. Since then I have managed to get the unit to overwrite a file already on it and get it to play as suggested. My initial failure was due to the fact that there was nothing recorded on the replacement box when I tried to upload.

Overall I am very impressed with the unit having come from Sky+. My only complaints are the usual 'no automaitic padding' and 'no chase play' but I am hoping that Humax will sort this out within the next few months.

many thanks to you all and a Happy New Year

bcutts,
    Thanks for the update.

Just to clarify, can you confirm the steps necessary when putting files back on to a different Humax machine, plus any caviats like "needs to replace a file of the same name/size etc...

Many thanks!
    Marc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Thread seems to have gone to sleep, so I thought I would wake it up...

It looks as though files can be put onto the PVR and be recognised so long as you overwrite an existing file. doing this with files that came from a PVR is great, but I am more interested in doing it with my own videos.

1. Can someone confirm whether or not you do actually need to view the "temporary" recording you make on the PVR before over-writing it? I think this could be a mis-understanding. I'll try it myself if I get past my next question....

2. Looks like MPEG Streamclip is a good way to go for encoding your files before putting them on the PVR, it can take a lot of input.

But I have no idea what settings to use in Streamclip (or any other app). I know we need an MPEG-2 TS (Transport stream) file, but that's aobut as far as it goes. dimensions, bit-rate etc - no idea!

can anyone enlighten me on the format needed? and, any other complexities that I have not considered?
    Forum Member
    Just found this by looking at "Stream Info" in Streamclip for a file from the PVR.
    Type: MPEG transport stream

Duration: 0:34:54
    Data Size: 901.29 MB
    Bit Rate: 3.61 Mbps

Video Tracks:
    560 MPEG-2, 704 x 576, 16:9, 25 fps, 10.00 Mbps, upper field first

Audio Tracks:
    561 MP2 stereo, 48 kHz, 192 kbps
    562 MP2 mono, 48 kHz, 64 kbps

Stream Files:
    big brother.mpg (901.29 MB)
    Now going to see if I can persuade Streamclip or TMPGEnc to output stuff in this format....
    Forum Member
    Not having any luck with the video i want to convert :confused: ... TMPGEnc doesn't seem to pick up any audio (it is MPEG Layer-3 Audio stereo, 48 kHz according to streamclip)and Streamclip can't see the video - AVI, XVID i think)
    will try again another day i think...