Wanadoo to NTLWorld e-mail problems

Anyone else, over the last week, having problems with sending e-mails to ntlworld.com addresses from a Wanadoo ISP? All other e-mails I send get through OK, but everything sent to two different ntlworld.com addresses gets bounced back after about 3 or 4 days with the error message 452 "Message rejected (in reply to end of DATA command)".

Comments

• ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a coincidence. I have just received an email from my sister who is with wanadoo, saying that it is the second time she has tried to email me as the first one was bounced back.

She didn't say when the first email was sent, or how long it took to bounce. She assumed it was a problem with her pc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Started happening just before Christmas

"host smtpin.ntlworld.com[81.103.221.10] refused
    to talk to me: 421 aamta02-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from
    [193.252.22.157]"

Is the message that's recevied. Happens when I send test messages from my hotmail too.
  • paulfosspaulfoss Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I too have been having problems receiving emails from freesrve/wanadoo. Pain in the butt really as a lot of my contacts are with them. I first had this problem but it was confined to emails from wanadoo France.
    Anybody else know what going on??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I too have this problem, diagnostic from Wanadoo:-

@ntlworld.com>: host smtpin.ntlworld.com[81.103.221.10] said: 452
    Message rejected (in reply to end of DATA command)

No problems sending from Wanadoo to any isp other than NTL
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hotmail to tesco (another ntl run email) keeps rejecting my emails as delayed then failed....
    Forum Member
    Just phoned wanadoo. They say there is no problem sending
    e-mail via NTL. Ive sent another e-mail to an NTL e-mail account. See if this one goes...
  • pmp4pmp4 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I have 2 accounts. One is NTL and the other is HOtmail. If have a friend who is also NTLworld.com. Most of the Hotmail mails I send get bounced as being delayed on the next an after 2 day the mail has failed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    3 more bounced back in the last two days, all with the same 452 error code, and one succesfully sent. Wanadoo suggest disabling the anti-virus software before sending - the modern day equivalent of leaving your front door open while going to the postbox to post a letter....

LinuxBrian - don't know if it has any relevance, but what's your location? (just in case there's some sort of geographical connection)
    Forum Member
    Just came off the line from NTL support. They believe that there is no fault with with the NTL server mail server (?) and that Wanadoo may have blacklisted NTL and that's why incoming emails are bouncing.

Not sure I believe that any more than I do about the advice of turning virus guards off.

I think NTL have blacklisted Wanadoo as discussed here

http://forums.ntlhell.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t19226.html
    Forum Member
    The problem has started at Wanadoos end.

Wanadoo use 3 smtp servers.

smtp1.wanadoo.co.uk 193.252.22.158
    smtp2.wanadoo.co.uk 193.252.22.157
    smtp3.wanadoo.co.uk 193.252.22.156

193.252.22.157 & 193.252.22.158 are currently blacklisted for spam abuse

http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchBy=ipaddress&searchString=193.252.22.158

NTL have blacklisted any mail from Wanadoo from smtp1.wanadoo.co.uk & smtp2.wanadoo.co.uk.

I'm going to ask my Wanadoo friend to try changing his smtp settings to smtp3.wanadoo.co.uk and see if that works.
  • petestanpetestan Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelsoniv wrote:
    The problem has started at Wanadoos end.

Wanadoo use 3 smtp servers.

smtp1.wanadoo.co.uk 193.252.22.158
    smtp2.wanadoo.co.uk 193.252.22.157
    smtp3.wanadoo.co.uk 193.252.22.156

193.252.22.157 & 193.252.22.158 are currently blacklisted for spam abuse

http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchBy=ipaddress&searchString=193.252.22.158

NTL have blacklisted any mail from Wanadoo from smtp1.wanadoo.co.uk & smtp2.wanadoo.co.uk.

I'm going to ask my Wanadoo friend to try changing his smtp settings to smtp3.wanadoo.co.uk and see if that works.

I'm having the same problem just started in the last 2 or 3 weeks how does the person with the ntlworld.com account change his smtp settings to the smtp3 settings please. :confused:
    Another forum talking about here

http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/250728/page/0/fpart/2/vc/1
    Forum Member
    The person receiving mail can't change the SMTP of the mail being sent by another user. SMTP settings state the outgoing server and can only be changed by the user sending mail.

I'm not convinced the smtp server settings for Wanadoo can be specified 1,2&3 and are probably adminstrator set but we'll test later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Changing the smtp setting to smtp3.wanadoo.co.uk, as nelsoniv suggested, unfortunately doesn't work - just brings up an error message, code 0x800CCC0E (connection failed).
    Forum Member
    Wasn't sure it would.

Thanks for trying, seagull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seagull wrote:
    Changing the smtp setting to smtp3.wanadoo.co.uk, as nelsoniv suggested, unfortunately doesn't work - just brings up an error message, code 0x800CCC0E (connection failed).

Thanks for that seagull that explains why I am getting error messages after I altered my settings. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    So this is effectively NTL's fault for blacklisting a commonly used mail server. It's been like this for weeks - why don't they just un-blacklist it? No matter how much spam might be sent (or appear to be sent) from popular ISP's SMTP servers, you can't just go blacklisting them. It's made worse by the fact that it seems to take a while to tell the sender that their message hasn't got through.

It's getting to a point where I'm going to have to start using other addresses, it's not good enough not being able to receive mail from certain people.
    Forum Member
    I’d like to clarify for everyone reading this thread.

Do not change your NTL SMTP settings.

If NTL users change the SMTP as shown above you will get the error message as you do not have permission to send email from Wanadoo’s servers.

The SMTP settings change I was suggesting was for my Wanadoo friend who’s sending his emails from his Wanadoo a/c to change his too.

I hope that makes it absolutely clear and sorry for any confusion guys. :)

PS I did receive his test emails eventually after he made the change but they were greatly delayed and may have just been luck and re-routed back through the non blacklisted Wanadoo SMTP server anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelsoniv wrote:
    I’d like to clarify for everyone reading this thread.

Do not change your NTL SMTP settings.

If NTL users change the SMTP as shown above you will get the error message as you do not have permission to send email from Wanadoo’s servers.

The SMTP settings change I was suggesting was for my Wanadoo friend who’s sending his emails from his Wanadoo a/c to change his too.

I hope that makes it absolutely clear and sorry for any confusion guys. :)

PS I did receive his test emails eventually after he made the change but they were greatly delayed and may have just been luck and re-routed back through the non blacklisted Wanadoo SMTP server anyway.

Thanks nelsoniv and for anyone on wanadoo on dialup or broadband if you change your settings as suggested above you will get the error message.
    I'm afraid there is nothing we can do to sort the problem it appears as if wanadoo and ntlworld can only sort it out between themselves. When that is likely to happen who knows. Pete :(
    Forum Member
    A reply to my Wanadoo friend from Wanadoo Technical Support. Funnily emails seem to be coming through again and it seems to be getting back to normal. Anyone else?

Original Message
    From: "Wanadoo Customer Service" <customer-service@uk.wanadoo.com>
    To: <Wanadoouser.fsworld.co.uk>
    Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:31 PM
    Subject: Re: Email from Help ()

Dear <Wanadoo User>

Thank you for your email.

It appears that your email has been blocked by an anti-spam blacklist.

Wanadoo is in contact with several well-recognised blacklisting organisations, such as www.spamcop.net and www.spamhaus.org, helping us to make sure that their subscribers do not block our mail servers. It is not always possible for us to keep in contact with all organisations, as some do not provide any contact details at all. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do if an organisation chooses to subscribe to this
    blacklist.

We are continually striving to improve this situation wherever possible and apologise for any inconvenience.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to get in contact with us again.

Kind Regards

Wanadoo Technical Support
    REF:WOOTS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelsoniv wrote:
    A reply to my Wanadoo friend from Wanadoo Technical Support. Funnily emails seem to be coming through again and it seems to be getting back to normal. Anyone else?

Yes nelsoniv my emails seem to be getting through again. Don't know what has happened but touch wood it is now ok. Pete
    Forum Member
    Thank You for a most informative thread, which I found initially doing a google search. The "fsnet" thing also plagues me as does the hotmail which is also blocked, Still can't receive hotmail as of this time, waiting to receive a test from my wanadoo/fsnet colleagues.

Found this site very informative so took the time to register hence the delay in responding.

Thanks again peeps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I can add some more ISP's to this list. I have had emails sent from BTconnect, freeserve and a German ISP called versanet all with the error message described in earlier posts.

I have sent copies of the error to NTL but have only had replies that told me to delete and reset up my email account within Outlook Express!! a nfd then the one about blacklisting.

The thing is some get rejected and some get through . I hoe they sort it out somehow

I will post what response I get from my last go at NTL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I got this response from NTL after sending them two mail failed error reports

Dear David

This is an issue that has been raised and has been passed on to the appropriate department. Please accept my appologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

David

ntl: Freedom Support Team

well its better than nothing
    Hopefully this will sort it out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caine94 wrote:
    I got this response from NTL after sending them two mail failed error reports

Dear David

This is an issue that has been raised and has been passed on to the appropriate department. Please accept my appologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

David

ntl: Freedom Support Team

well its better than nothing
    Hopefully this will sort it out

Hi caine94 when I was having the problems the person I was sending the emails to who was actually on the ntlworld email rang their tech support after I told him the exact message in the error report and all they did was blame it on my ISP wanadoo. Saying it was nothing to do with them it was a fault between wanadoo's server sending the email and ntlworld's server not receiving it and they didn't want to know but you are having the same problem from different ISP's so it is obviously an ntlworld problem but whether they will do anything about it is anyone's guess. Pete
    Forum Member
    Just thought I would add to the long list of unhappy ntl customers.

My Father is on wanadoo.co.uk and my Mother wanadoo.fr and both have had problems sending e-mail to my ntl address.

I fired off e-mail to ntl technical support who sent back the reply that wanadoo had been blacklisted by www.sorbs.net

My Father sent a copy of this e-mail to wanadoo technical support, who stated that they were aware of problems and were seeking to resolve these issues!

I then sent ntl a further e-mail asking them to sort the problem out like adults rather than blaming each other. Guess what, ntl sent me two e-mails, one stating that the problem was with wanadoo! The other stated that they were working to resolve this issue!

So it would appear that even NTL themselves do not know what is happening!

Wanadoo.fr on the other hand quickly issued a fix, avaialble at http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame2.cgi?u=http%3A//assistance.wanadoo.fr/reponse1352.asp

So there you have it, wanadoo.co.uk dont want to know, ntl are happy to blame each other and wanadoo.fr sorted it out.