WWF - Sensational Sherri Martel

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
I bought a few classic WWF dvds lately and she featured heavily - had forgotten what a brilliant part of the WWF she was

Check out www.sherrimartel.com

The original diva of the WWF

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a few classic WWF dvds lately and she featured heavily - had forgotten what a brilliant part of the WWF she was

Check out www.sherrimartel.com

The original diva of the WWF

I loved the way they brought her back just before last year's Wrestlemania to manage Kurt Angle for the night...

She was excellent with Randy Savage... I wish the role of the manager was brought back into wrestling as they often added an excitement to a match that would have been lacking with just the wrestlers involved.
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that was before I had bought any of the dvds - lets say they refreshed my memory and I wanted to share my thoughts with everybody again :o !

Thats quite cool of you remembering that thread because it was quite a while ago - did you like Sherri then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    You obvously like her coz you have started at least two new postings about her!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who would be your top 5 WWE Women/Divas>

Mine are:

1. Sensational Sherri
    2. Miss Elizabeth
    3. Luna Vachon
    4. Chyna/ Mamazita (spelling???)
    5. Trish Stratus
  • Radio InformerRadio Informer Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reading the thread title before clicking it i thought something bad has happened to her .glad things are ok.Wasn't she on raw sometime last year in a one show story line
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reading the thread title before clicking it i thought something bad has happened to her .glad things are ok.Wasn't she on raw sometime last year in a one show story line
    Smackdown... to manage Kurt Angle for the night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if she'd be returning to the WWE? :)
  • spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's as unlikely as it is pointless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's as unlikely as it is pointless.

Why?

By the way hope u don't mind me asking but how did u come up with the name Spankyplugs?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when I saw the title I thought ?????? what's wildlife got to do with TV programmes
  • spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?

By the way hope u don't mind me asking but how did u come up with the name Spankyplugs?

Because she's at least 20 years too old to fit the current 'Diva' demographic, and short of a Macho King comeback or Shawn Michael reverting back 15 years, there's no reason for a return.

The username's a long, dull answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was great though I thought, always interfering however have to admit I loved when Elizabeth ran into the ring and threw Sherri out of it during the match Savage vs Ultimate Warrior
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was there when she came here in Summerslam 1992 at Wembley Stadium for Shawn and Martels match..I remember she had split loyalties at that time for both :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I was a Summerslam '92 aswell. People around me were talking about it being incest when Sherri (Maretl) kissed Ric Martel. They thought they were actually brother and sister :rolleyes: (Rics name is Richard Vigneault and Sherri's name is Sherri Russell)

Not many people realise (now or at the time) that Sherri was the Womens Champion, because back then it wasn't televised like it is today.

When Savage Vs Warrior was set for WM7, the retirement match, I had tickets for the UK tour a month after 'mania. The card was released nearly 2 months before 'mania and it showed Sherri as managing Dibiase. Spoiled the retirement match a little but everything gets spoiled these days, when you can't stay off the wrestling sites!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crab Paste wrote:
    Yeah I was a Summerslam '92 aswell. People around me were talking about it being incest when Sherri (Maretl) kissed Ric Martel. They thought they were actually brother and sister :rolleyes: (Rics name is Richard Vigneault and Sherri's name is Sherri Russell)

Not many people realise (now or at the time) that Sherri was the Womens Champion, because back then it wasn't televised like it is today.

When Savage Vs Warrior was set for WM7, the retirement match, I had tickets for the UK tour a month after 'mania. The card was released nearly 2 months before 'mania and it showed Sherri as managing Dibiase. Spoiled the retirement match a little but everything gets spoiled these days, when you can't stay off the wrestling sites!

Yeah thats right she was the Woman's champ - do you think todays generation of wrestling fans know women wrestling legends such as Sherri and Elizabeth?

I know that when WWF first came on the women's wrestling was televised because I remember Cyndi Lauper being a manager of Wendi Richter - Richter even appeared in a few of Cyndi's videos such as She Bop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The early 80's matches were televised but I don't recall a single instance of 'WWF' showing a womens Championship match with Sherri holding the title. I never saw her with the belt on TV or heard them refer to the fact.

Womens (or divas, to give them their scientific name) wrestling, nowadays features good looking (matter of opinion) young women who can strip down to their bra and panties. In the 'olden' days, believe it or not, some WWF womens matches actually headlined events that Hulk Hogan wasn't on! Inconcievable in this era.

Pointless Fact: Cpt Lou Albano played Cyndi Lauper's dad in her 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' video.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crab Paste wrote:
    The early 80's matches were televised but I don't recall a single instance of 'WWF' showing a womens Championship match with Sherri holding the title. I never saw her with the belt on TV or heard them refer to the fact.

Womens (or divas, to give them their scientific name) wrestling, nowadays features good looking (matter of opinion) young women who can strip down to their bra and panties. In the 'olden' days, believe it or not, some WWF womens matches actually headlined events that Hulk Hogan wasn't on! Inconcievable in this era.

Pointless Fact: Cpt Lou Albano played Cyndi Lauper's dad in her 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' video.

Yeah Im a massive Cyndi Lauper fan!!!

I hate the way Diva wrestling (if you will) has in a way become tacky - its just basically about stripping now and all that!!! I n the days of Sherri, Elizabeth, Sapphire and even Luna there was none of that - those were the days! :)

Just as a matter of opinion does anyone feel that Sherri is responsible for Shawn Michaels getting where he is today? :)

Is there any website in which I can watch the Kurt Angle and Sherri scene as I missed it last year? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Im a massive Cyndi Lauper fan!!!

I hate the way Diva wrestling (if you will) has in a way become tacky - its just basically about stripping now and all that!!! I n the days of Sherri, Elizabeth, Sapphire and even Luna there was none of that - those were the days! :)

Just as a matter of opinion does anyone feel that Sherri is responsible for Shawn Michaels getting where he is today? :)

Is there any website in which I can watch the Kurt Angle and Sherri scene as I missed it last year? :)

Anyone?????????? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be just me but did anyone else prefer her version of Sexy Boy? I did, it never sounded the same again after she left!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sensational Sherri was brilliant in the WWF, a great manager and wrestler.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who would be your top 5 WWE Women/Divas>

Mine are:

1. Sensational Sherri
    2. Miss Elizabeth
    3. Luna Vachon
    4. Chyna/ Mamazita (spelling???)
    5. Trish Stratus

1. Lita
    2. Ashley
    3. Victoria
    4. Ivory
    5. Sable
  • kreed82kreed82 Posts: 3,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1.Madusa
    2.Miss Elizabeth
    3.New smackdown anouncaah
    4.Sherri
    5.Victoria/Ivory
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crab Paste wrote:
    Divas is a McMahon-ism and something as far removed from woman's wrestling.

"All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling" was considered one of the best wrestling promotion in the world, with high flying hard hitting shows drawing crowds over 40,000 and big TV audiences in Japan. Their wrestlers like Aja Kong and Bull Nakano were brought into WWF at Madusa's request to create a (doomed) legit woman's wrestling division in the early 1990s.

There was a number of dedicated woman's wrestling promotions in Japan as it was so big, though the popularity has much dwindled. The last big promotion - GAEA - was on TWC last year, until the promotion closed. I think BBC2 broadcasted a documentary on GAEA's woman in training?

It's really a different world to what WWE currently do, with woman (not all) who mostly have no ability, working highly choreographed short matches, though were only hired for their looks through lame Diva Contests (where everyone gets hired) so McMahon can book himself in pointless irrelevant scenes, seemingly only to inflate his masculinity.

The best women ever in WWF/E would be Aja Kong, Bull Nakano and Madusa, though some others like Martel, Ivory, Molly, Kim would be on a list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2fabiola wrote:
    Divas is a McMahon-ism and something as far removed from woman's wrestling.

"All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling" was considered one of the best wrestling promotion in the world, with high flying hard hitting shows drawing crowds over 40,000 and big TV audiences in Japan. Their wrestlers like Aja Kong and Bull Nakano were brought into WWF at Madusa's request to create a (doomed) legit woman's wrestling division in the early 1990s.

There was a number of dedicated woman's wrestling promotions in Japan as it was so big, though the popularity has much dwindled. The last big promotion - GAEA - was on TWC last year, until the promotion closed. I think BBC2 broadcasted a documentary on GAEA's woman in training?

It's really a different world to what WWE currently do, with woman (not all) who mostly have no ability, working highly choreographed short matches, though were only hired for their looks through lame Diva Contests (where everyone gets hired) so McMahon can book himself in pointless irrelevant scenes, seemingly only to inflate his masculinity.

The best women ever in WWF/E would be Aja Kong, Bull Nakano and Madusa, though some others like Martel, Ivory, Molly, Kim would be on a list.

Yeah todays "Diva" sector of the WWE is nothing but models stripping.