Options

Dancing On Ice

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Also convient timing as well with the winter olympics starting in about a months time. The Beeb must love ITV for possibly peaking people's interest in ice skating just before they are going to show the winter olympics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    Can you imagine what kind of effect this will have on Ice Skating as a national pursuit?
    Its popularity will rise and there will be demand for new rinks :)

Agree... hope this will whip the people responsible for building the rink in Brighton into gear... they were supposed to hand in the planning application months ago and still haven't ... grrrrr!
  • Options
    digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brighton?
    You Lucky thing.
    We live in North Wales and there are No rinks here, there used to be in Liverpool but that has gone.
    When we are in London we get to chose between several good ones and some bad.
    I like Lee Valley as its closest to our area and they have one at Alexandra Palace that I dont rate highly,
    Streatham is good too but always crowded they say that they are going to build a new Streatham rink in the next 18 months! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    Brighton?
    You Lucky thing.
    We live in North Wales and there are No rinks here, there used to be in Liverpool but that has gone.
    I like Lee Valley as its closest to our area and they have one at Alexandra Palace that I dont rate highly,
    Streatham is good too but always crowded they say that they are going to build a new Streatham rink in the next 18 months! :eek:
    Well at the moment we have no rink here either! The council decided over 2 years ago to build a two rink complex, but the management company just don't seem to get their arse into gear with the planning permission... god knows what is taking so long!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one in lee valley is like half a giant oil drum huge tin sheets stretched in a barn shape it took 2 months to make and open!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    The one in lee valley is like half a giant oil drum huge tin sheets stretched in a barn shape it took 2 months to make and open!

Heee, cool! Think the Brighton design was a little more sophisticated! It would be right next to the beach too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure I will visit when I am down there! My dear old gran lives in Withdean and my aunts at Patcham
  • Options
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    I am sure I will visit when I am down there! My dear old gran lives in Withdean and my aunts at Patcham

Bet your gran loves the football... not (with all the fans troddign past her home on match day)

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobblekat wrote:
    Bet your gran loves the football... not (with all the fans troddign past her home on match day)

:rolleyes:
    Its Withdean court Avenue! I do! I hate having to explain why I am parking to a policeman standing there and signs that often have to be moved out the way NO FOOTBALL PARKING!
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    Brighton?
    You Lucky thing.

What about the rink at Deeside? The home of the Flintshire Freeze ice hockey team? If you read some of the press coverage for this show, Sean Wilson actually said he spilt some of his training between the rinks at Blackburn and Deeside.

To add to that a new public rink is being built in Altrincham, easily accessable from North Wales.

Back to the programme, how the hell did Andi Peters get through?? He was by far the worst tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey thanks! I didnt hear him say that! I was not aware of it as its not in yellow pages :( I have made enquiries and we can get to Blackburn too...
    We do spend a lot of time in London though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote:

To add to that a new public rink is being built in Altrincham, easily accessable from North Wales.

What happened to the old one in Altricnham?

I used to go there as a teenager!!!
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    tvaddict37 wrote:
    What happened to the old one in Altricnham?

I used to go there as a teenager!!!

That was closed down a couple of years back, as it was very old and the cost of maintaining it was increasing. It was a family run rink, and the family wanted to build a new rink within the town, but failed to get planning permission.

However, the council knew that they had to get a new rink within the town, as the public demanded it, as it was the only rink within touching distance of Manchester in relaity. Planet Ice have obtained permission to build a new rink within the town centre, but it's going to be some time before it opens, so a temporary rink is being built, and shall be open in August. This is in conjunction with the local ice hockey team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote:
    . Planet Ice have obtained permission to build a new rink within the town centre, but it's going to be some time before it opens, so a temporary rink is being built, and shall be open in August. This is in conjunction with the local ice hockey team.
    The same planet ice as in Basingstoke?
  • Options
    GingerMacGingerMac Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Basingstoke, useless bit of info for you there.
    Been in the ice rink but only to watch my children when they were much younger.
    Tried skating as a teenager in Streatham (Silver Blades?) but couldn't even hold my ankles upright.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to have one nearby in Falkirk (think the nearest is Perth), but it became a rollerskating place then a basketball court (Falkirk Fury), before being 2 x 5-aside pitches and is now an indoor market.
    Wish it was an ice skating rink cause i wouldn't mind a shot of curling either.

Anyone had a punt yet? Just watching last night but as with StrictlyComeDancing the dangerous spots are in 2nd and third. I've backed John Boroman @ 5-1, Andrea @ 16-1 & Gaynor @ 50-1. Corri guy Martin could go close also.
    Understand the reasons for 5 judges now
  • Options
    Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah ice skating respect! Loved the show last night in a hilarious cheesey way. Check my homepage and if you want to register ( closed sometimes as high traffic times!) PM me. x

Im rooting for Marika and Martin as Marika has done a lot for ice dance. She was #1 in the UK when T&D made their comeback in 1994 and missed out on the Olympics. She skated in a Blackpool show for a bit and met her husband Vitaliy Baranov there and they skated for the UK in worlds a few times and also the 02 Olympics. He got an injury and they've retired now.

Pam O Connor is also a great skater, she and her ex partner (he got injured too) Jon O Docherty represented the UK a few times too, loved their Elton John routine from 02 - very smooth skaters.

Krista Cousins is married to ex British champ Steven Cousins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Barrowman was pure class. Looked gorgeous, danced beautifully and clearly had a great relationship with Olga. I'm backing him.

Claire
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like John too, think he'll probably go quite far. His personality will have a lot to do with it.

Thought Gaynor's dance was so much better in the skate-off.

Bonnie was great, but think her OTT theatrical smile will drive me to distraction before too long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Hi I missed the start of the show on saturday and I missed finding out where its filmed - can anyone enlighten me?

I'm really enjoying it so far - much more interesting than CBB or anything like that - at least we are seeing the celebs learning how to do something and stretching themselves!

Also does anyone know how to get tickets to go and see Dancing on Ice live??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's being filmed at Elstree Film & TV Studios in Borehamwood (where they do Big Brother).

http://www.applausestore.com/
    register for tickets here and they may be able to get you some...
    The site takes some saerching but you will eventually get to the dancing on ice audience tickets bit

http://www.applausestore.com/Site/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    It's being filmed at Elstree Film & TV Studios in Borehamwood (where they do Big Brother).

http://www.applausestore.com/
    register for tickets here and they may be able to get you some...
    The site takes some saerching but you will eventually get to the dancing on ice audience tickets bit

http://www.applausestore.com/Site/

Thanks so much for the info digimon900 - much appreciated!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant go! You only allowed to bring kids over 10. My son is 6 and there is no one to take care of him whilst I go, anyway I would want him to see it as he is a keen skater
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am i correct in saying John Barrowman used to present a kids programme, possibly Live and Kicking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know about John Barrowman but I am dissapointed to see that Holly and her male co presenter featuring in kids programme called Feal the Fear today on ITV. I had kind of assumed they were fresh faced unknowns. My disappointment is immense! you can see profiles of all the celebrities on the www.itv.com/ice site and find out about John