Options

Connecting Sky HD to a TV...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I’m new to the whole HD thing.

Do we know yet how the new Sky HD box will connect to the TV? I’ve heard that the box will be compatible with non-HD ready TV’s, so I assume one of the outputs will be via scart. Is that right?
Also will the HD connector be the same as the one you would use to connect your PC to your TV?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The high definition connectors will be a digital HDMI port and an analogue component video set of phonos.

SCART will be on the box, but it won't be HD.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the HDMI port the same as a PC connector cable (as you would use to connect a PC to a LCD TV), it looks like it to the naked eye but i could be totoally wrong?
  • Options
    camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean VGA or DVI? Either way HDMI isn't like either although you can get hdmi-dvi converters.

If you don't have a display that can accept component then you'll only be able to watch in SD, not HD. Are you planning on getting the box then the tv a little while after?
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    OK, here goes.

SKY HD OUTPUTS

VIDEO

HDMI (HDCP compliant) - Not recordable
    (will receive ALL SD and HD channels, and will carry Dolby 5.1 sound)
    HDMI PICTURE

Component (Not HDCP compliant) - Recordable with a HD-DVD/BluRay recorder
    (will receive all SD & HD channels that dont carry HDCP. No sound carried)
    COMPONENT PICTURE

Scart (RGB)
    (will allow delivery and recording of SD broadcasts)
    RGB SCART PICTURE

AUDIO

RCA (L&R) (carrys stereo surround)
    RCA PICTURE (red and white outputs)

Toslink Optical (carrys Dolby Digital 5.1)
    TOSLINK PICTURE
  • Options
    Digibear1Digibear1 Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    DanVitale wrote:
    OK, here goes.

NOT RECORDABLE !
    I didnt realise this !
    What do you think the quality of a component recorded picture will be ?

Regards......Ted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The component picture will be no different. Its just delivered in a different method ;)
  • Options
    Digibear1Digibear1 Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Thanks DanVitale, thats something at least :)

Regards......Ted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hold on a second, there's nothing to say HDCP content won't be recordable. It may be flagged as allowable to record perhaps with restriction.

There's nothing to say video over component will be recordable because they can use macrovision on that signal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be recordable for the rather boring reason that there's nothing available which can record it. That goes for component HD too. (OK, you could trawl eBay for a D-VHS deck I guess).

It would be surprising to say the least if Sky at least didn't enable HDCP protection on their content. The BBC may be different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    OK, here goes.

You think? I don't believe there is any home device planned which can digitise an analogue HD signal. All the recording tech I've seen in development (eg, BluRay recorders) has recorded a pre-encoded bitstream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sanderton wrote:
    there's nothing available which can record it. That goes for component HD too.

It would be surprising to say the least if Sky at least didn't enable HDCP protection on their content. The BBC may be different.

Sky have said they plan to use component on their own channels but that the rest is up to the other channels.

Blu-ray recorders should be able to record via component
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    HDCP will be recordable depending on the content provider's wishes - it might be recordable at full resolution, it might be recordable downconverted to SD, or it might not be recordable at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camaj wrote:
    Blu-ray recorders should be able to record via component

I didn't see any such machine at CES. Can you provide a link to a component recording machine?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    DanVitale wrote:
    OK, here goes.

SKY HD OUTPUTS

VIDEO

(will receive ALL SD and HD channels, and will carry Dolby 5.1 sound)
    HDMI PICTURE

COMPONENT PICTURE

Scart (RGB)
    (will allow delivery and recording of SD broadcasts)
    RGB SCART PICTURE

AUDIO

RCA (L&R) (carrys stereo surround)
    RCA PICTURE (red and white outputs)

Toslink Optical (carrys Dolby Digital 5.1)
    TOSLINK PICTURE

There's also composite and s-video too. Yours sincerely, Mr Pedantic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also composite and s-video too. Yours sincerely, Mr Pedantic.

And RF.

Mr Even More Pedantic
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol I think if you spent at least £300 on a sky HD box then connected it to your 26"+ HD TV via RF you would need the men in white coats sending round!

Be like driving a ferrari around in 1st gear :p

So if we're saying that you wont be able to record (well at least until a HD-DVD/Blu ray recorder comes out couple of years away i'd expect) but you will be able to record HD onto the sky box because its still got all the sky+ functionallity right?

So what would happen if you wanted to record something you recorded in HD onto a DVD recorder or something? would it downscale it back to SD or would it not be possible?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote:
    lol I think if you spent at least £300 on a sky HD box then connected it to your 26"+ HD TV via RF you would need the men in white coats sending round!

So if we're saying that you wont be able to record (well at least until a HD-DVD/Blu ray recorder comes out couple of years away i'd expect) but you will be able to record HD onto the sky box because its still got all the sky+ functionallity right?

So what would happen if you wanted to record something you recorded in HD onto a DVD recorder or something? would it downscale it back to SD or would it not be possible?

Indeed but how many people don't use RGB scart and have their STB and TV setup to complement eachother:)

SKY+ HD is a bitstream recorder so there are no problems recording HD broadcasts on the internal drive and since all encryption is intact there are no piracy/protection issues.

It's impossible at this time to record HD at it's native resolution onto a DVD recorder, you would have to get the STB to downscale the HD program to a standard analogue format (PAL) and then send it via scart/component or other ananlogue connection to the DVDr or even VCR.
    Hooking up a PC via the component connections may allow you to capture at native resolution but we are talking a lot of processing power and the hit on PQ that you will suffer.
    Recordable blue laser devices may indeed allow HD over HDMI but with the HDCP who knows exactly what will be allowed:)
  • Options
    MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member

Can someone tell me what HDCP is?

I have a component connection on my plasma but not DVI or HMDI.

Does this mean I wont recieve some of the services.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    MaxCherry wrote:

Can someone tell me what HDCP is?

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks. So by the looks of it, i'll be fine I just wont be able to record? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No you will probably be able to record (depending on how BR/HD DVD recorders work out). You just may not be able to receive all channels depending on any of the SkyHD channels deciding to take up HDCP protection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The channels that do have HDCP on them will probably be downconverted to SD if your end of the transaction does not have HDCP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will these details be availble nearer to the release?

I dont want to fork out for the box, only to be able to recieve SD broadcasts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MaxCherry wrote:
    Will these details be availble nearer to the release?
    Yes.

The level of protection for each programme will be up to the individual broadcaster and content owner. The big movie studios are likely to enforce highest HDCP for films, but for most other programmes I think they'll be less stringent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This sounds like its gonna be a huge ball ache.

Ive seen HD in action and it looks amazing, but Im not really looking forward to shelling out £300 and then not being able to receive all the channels.

I think im better waiting for it rather than ordering it for the release. If it means having to buy a TV with a HDMI connection they can eff'off.