'Lewis' new series

kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
Forum Member
✭✭
Is this going to work? It's the new ITV series that sees Kevin Whately [trying] to follow in the footsteps of the late great Inspector Morse. Personally, I think it will be a mistake, after seeing a trailer, though I will have a look when it comes on, I'm that curious.
I'm just not sure about this one.
:rolleyes:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,219
    Forum Member
    I hope it's as intelligent and retains the high production values of Morse. I am looking forward to it and hope it can live up to it's heritage. I hope they've commissioned some of the Morse writers and Colin Dexter has been involved.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an old Inspector Morse repeated last week and it was completely bonkers. As far as I know the plot had nothing to do with any of Colin Dexter's novels, the characters were all completely implausible - even Morse - and if it had been the pilot for a previously unheard of detective series it would have been panned and quietly dropped. Lewis could go the same way, or, in sympathetic hands, it could be the intelligent, well-made crime series that Morse once was, before the plots got silly.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah now that does sound encouraging. I just remember how they tried to struggle on with Taggart, commendably, I have to say when Mark McManus died but it was never quite the same. Now they have a strong lead with Alex Norton, it's as good as ever. YOu know what I mean. I suppose nothing will match the original but I just hope you're right.
    I will watch it though. Colin Dexter is a superb writer. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote:
    There was an old Inspector Morse repeated last week and it was completely bonkers. As far as I know the plot had nothing to do with any of Colin Dexter's novels, the characters were all completely implausible - even Morse - and if it had been the pilot for a previously unheard of detective series it would have been panned and quietly dropped. Lewis could go the same way, or, in sympathetic hands, it could be the intelligent, well-made crime series that Morse once was, before the plots got silly.

Now that reminds me, we watched an episode ourselves the other week, and it was a bit 'off kilter' ie not the usual excellent standards we were used to with Morse. I suppose any series can go off the boil though?
    Time will tell I suppose. I'm sure we've watched the odd episode of Taggart that wasn't quite as good as the rest...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,219
    Forum Member
    Info and interviews from The Independent:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=4425

TX: Sunday 29th January. ITV1.
    Apparently it's a one off and there is no series.
  • CaramelCaramel Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard they have just made one pilot episode. If it is well received, a series may be commissioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh I remember that play 'Plain Jane'. Kevin Whately was very good in that and has indeed been in some excellent dramas.
    Good luck to him, I hope he makes a good job of it. I do remain a little sceptical, as I am, like many others, used to 'Morse' but I will be watching it.
  • CaramelCaramel Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame we'll no longer have half an hour between advertisment breaks though. Or am I the only one old enough to remember Morse from the very beginning?

Also, they used to play the whole of the theme tune at the end, with full credits, so we could ease ourselves gently back into the real world.

Ah, those were the days!
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caramel wrote:
    It's a shame we'll no longer have half an hour between advertisment breaks though. Or am I the only one old enough to remember Morse from the very beginning?

Also, they used to play the whole of the theme tune at the end, with full credits, so we could ease ourselves gently back into the real world.

Ah, those were the days!

And no one talking over them, and no squashing into the corner of the screen whilst we got a sneak preview of the upcoming "TV Nightmares from Hell 27".

Happier times.

Don't care if this is pants or not, at least it gives me an opportunity to walk round the house for the next week or so going (in a very deep voice) "LOO-ISS"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    And no one talking over them, and no squashing into the corner of the screen whilst we got a sneak preview of the upcoming "TV Nightmares from Hell 27".

Happier times.

Don't care if this is pants or not, at least it gives me an opportunity to walk round the house for the next week or so going (in a very deep voice) "LOO-ISS"

I might start doing that now. And maybe saying 'We're talking about a mur-DAH'.

I can remember the half hour between ads - and the 'In association with Beamish Stout' bits, the first time I'd ever seen a company sponsor a programme. It had me quite :confused:

I'm not that old either :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting interview piece (post 6), and though it doesn't completely dispel fears that this is going to be a bit of a farrago upon the memory of Morse, it does look like it will be interesting to see if Lewis bears any comparison with the general excellence of the original.

The fact that Kevin Whately seems to have weathered the last few years rather dreadfully is what puts me off more than anything (apart from the fact that Lewis's new sidekick seems to be shamelessly designed as Morse Junior).
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone heard whether they have finished filming the four episodes of the new 'Lewis' series? Presumeably they will want to screen them this Spring?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I loved the first episode of Lewis, watched it both times it has been on. I loved all the little touches where they bought Morse into it. I hope they keep on doing that, but not too much. I don't want it to get to the point where you keep thinking not again, but it would be lovely to have the odd thing crop up in each episode that brought him back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    epsom wrote:
    Has anyone heard whether they have finished filming the four episodes of the new 'Lewis' series? Presumeably they will want to screen them this Spring?

Can't say for certain, but I think they're going to be on sooner rather than later.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote:
    :D I understand from someone who worked on it there are 3x2 hour episodes of Lewis.They were filmed last summer in Oxford.Apparently Kevin got a bit fed up with all the Japanese tourists who watched and kept saying ''Ah, so, Lewis'' :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    does anyone know if Lewis is repeated this week on any channel? I missed it on Sunday.

The ITV website is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a quick look on the radio times website and it doesn't look like it.

There's another thread so you could try looking in there just in case someone on there had said anything about a repeat.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=400943&page=4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as with most ITV dramas nowadays, the 1st series (inc the Pilot) will be released on 12th March in a 4 disc set, according to Play.com.
    Play.com have it for £15.99 currently and the only special feature is: The Filming of Lewis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I thought it was rubbish. Lewis comes over as a complete idiot and a rather dull one, at that. And frankly, what are the odds that the first "boss" we see him having is an Oxford graduate (Morse) and the second person he works with as his underling is a Cambridge graduate in theology? Yeah, sure, the police force is exploding with Oxbridge graduates.

The story was dull and, to excuse a pun, plodding. People often kill others for access to their adrenal glands. Purlease!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why in "Lewis" they have suddenly started referring to the "Oxfordshire" police? In Morse they always referred to the Thames Valley police which is the correct name for the local police force.

There was a news item on Radio Oxford this evening which seemed to suggest that the Thames Valley police don't like this either. (Possibly slightly surprising given the massively high mortality rate they seemed to have in Morse).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought thames valley police had been disbanded or whatever and that it *is* oxfordshire police now…
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought thames valley police had been disbanded or whatever and that it *is* oxfordshire police now…
    No. Our local police force is still the Thames Valley Police - their website is here .
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Other way round in fact. Until 1968 there was an Oxfordshire Police, then it along with Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxford City and Reading Borough merged to form Thames Valley..

JPB2 wrote:
    Does anyone know why in "Lewis" they have suddenly started referring to the "Oxfordshire" police? In Morse they always referred to the Thames Valley police which is the correct name for the local police force.

There was a news item on Radio Oxford this evening which seemed to suggest that the Thames Valley police don't like this either. (Possibly slightly surprising given the massively high mortality rate they seemed to have in Morse).

It is Thames Valley Police who are not allowing the names and logo of the constabulary to be used.

Toby Shergold, a spokesman for Thames Valley Police, said: "A decision was taken some time ago that the Thames Valley Police name should not be used in any fictional police series because we are not a fictional force.

http://www.oxfordmail.net/misc/print.php?artid=1200465
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it because I live in Oxfordshire and enjoy seeing places I know on the screen :):)

Interesting info about Thames Vally Police, thanks, we wondered why they said Oxfordshire Police.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote:
    Toby Shergold, a spokesman for Thames Valley Police, said: "A decision was taken some time ago that the Thames Valley Police name should not be used in any fictional police series because we are not a fictional force.
    Shergold's not a very common name, is it? Wonder if he has any connection with Adrian Shergold, who directed some episodes of Inspector Morse?