Options

Universal remote control

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
Hi

Trying to program a universal remote control with a limited number of keys. Why when in the EPG do the channel up/down keys skip two channels :confused: It’s not logical.
Does anybody know of a cheap learning remote control “Not one with control codes or touch screen” I want to set up each key myself.

Many thanks

B

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Trying to program a universal remote control with a limited number of keys. Why when in the EPG do the channel up/down keys skip two channels :confused: It’s not logical.
    Does anybody know of a cheap learning remote control “Not one with control codes or touch screen” I want to set up each key myself.

Many thanks

B
    Hi Barry I bought the One for All URC 7555 and as there isn't a code in it's memory, have copied most of the original remotes keys onto it including the power key. Unlike most of One for All's other remotes, it seems to be capable of learning quite a few keys without running out of memory, One for All have offered to input the codes needed if I send the remoted in, but as it has allowed me to learn it every key that I feel is necessary to control the 9200T, I shan't do this. It had codes in it for the TV(an LG) and the DVD player ( a Panasonic) so haven't needed to learn the control for these. Hope this helps. ( It is available from Maplins for 29.99d.)
    :)
  • Options
    mkstevomkstevo Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I have this remote , and find that it works very well .

It has a large memory too . The previous model I had would keep running out of memory which was rather annoying .

I have mine set up to work a Toshiba TV , Philips DVDR , Humax CR5510 Sat box , Humax PVR8000T , Humax PVR9200T and Technics Pre-Amp . Nearly all of these have had to be taught the keys as they are not in the database . The TV was covered ( mostly ) and some of the commands for the CR5510 might have been listed , but not many .

The PVR8000T commands always causes the LCD display to light up all the characters each time a key is pressed , though this doesn't seem to affect the function at all . Strangely the commands for the PVR9200T don't do this ??

The other things I like are the 'copy key' function , so I can have the Volume +/- and the mute work the volume and mute on the Pre-Amp , in all the functions ( sat/tv/dvdr etc )and then Shift/Mute will mute the individual device ... You get the idea ...

In criticism , there aren't all that many keys , and you can't copy the contents of the memory to the PC to back them up . 'Teaching' it the keys can be a little hard work as it sometimes misreads the command being learned as a double command , so when you press 1 , you end up with 11 by mistake . The older SBC RU880 I think looks better in the 'cool blue' but that is nit picking . This model is more reliable than the earlier one ( RU880 ) for locking up and needing resetting , but if I could back up the data I'd feel much safer .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi

Many thanks to both of you for the help, :) I’ll pop in to Maplins and have a look.
    I like the idea of the 'copy key' function so you can alter the volume on the amp no matter what else you are controlling.

Many thanks

B
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    If you want a really cheap learning remote, try the Tevion 8-in-1 learning remote. Aldi were selling them for £4.99 a few months back. I can't find it on the Aldi website any more, but someone on Ebay is selling one for £15.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I forgot about e-bay.

B
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Just thought I'd mention that the Humax seems to work well with my Harmony 855 universal remote. The Harmony database already has the basic functions of the pvr9200t in it and I just had to learn a few of the less used commands to give me full functionality.

For anyone looking for a good (if expensive) universal remote I can recommend the Harmony 855, but I'd also take a look at some of the cheaper models which are pretty much the same, just without a colour screen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I've recently setup a One For All URC-7562 remote control to operate my PVR-8000T which I bought at a Currys clearance sale (minus Remote, Manual & box). Most of the functions are there to allow me to use the box to view, record, playback, edit, etc, but I need to add some of the functions that are missing (Guide, List etc.)

This remote is selling in Argos for £19.99 and has the advantage of a built-in modem to download any future setup codes (One For All describe it as Future-Proof). I can vouch for it's future proofing over the past 3 years as I've yet to come across a device it can't be setup for. :)