Options

Corrupted download from 9200T to PC?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder if anyone has encountered this problem and can help.

I am downloading the recorded programmes from my Humax PVR9200T to the PC via the eLinker program (version 2.1).

I have successfully transferred 2 films off it but the third one doesn't seem to play in VLC media player (or WMP or when used with HDTV2mpeg) where as the others do. I thought it was a corrupted download, so tried downloading it again (but only to the same effect). It is only 2.6Gb (the others have been bigger in size).

The programme was Agathe Christie's Poirot recorded on 1st of January (can't remember the channel). It plays OK on the Hummy itself...

Has anyone here got a clue (could it be scrambled?)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    All software has checks to make sure that the data gets to the destination in the same shape as it left. It has all kind of checksums and headers. If the e-linker doesn't have it I would be very surprised.

What I would be looking at is the player. Is there any way to convert it to DVD or play from another piece of software? I have a powerDVD player that deals with most formats -- including the bad ones.

Not failed me yet

Not all broadcasting is totally the same -- it is more a set of rules which the box has to live within (in a sentence the signal can be more or less condensed). Same with some web clips -- some players won't play them while others can.

Another problem will be low memory computers with a lot of things going on. Try and shut off as much as you can and try and play from there. Also see what happens in "safe mode". Worth seeing if you get anything different -- even if it is a pixeled picture.

If you were the sort that liked to form video jukeboxes then some type of pro software is a good investment. You can line up tracks and have them play one after another. With cut facilities on the box you have quite a powerful tool for getting those videos you like saved to computer.

PS

You can download the PowerDVD (30 day trial) so can see if that plays your "bad" file?

http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,39025604,39104340s,00.htm
  • Options
    Frank1Frank1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    PedroH wrote:
    All software has checks to make sure that the data gets to the destination in the same shape as it left. It has all kind of checksums and headers. If the e-linker doesn't have it I would be very surprised.

It is a well-known fact that the Humax and e-Linker do not perform any error checking on the file transfer. :(

The only solution (so far) is a short USB cable, tune the Humax to CH 8, disable any PC screen savers and don't use the PC for anything else during the transfer.

Frank
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I understand about the issues (some of them described above). I have taken care to minimise all the things that can affect the download. I think it is more the case with the actual file (or eLinker transfer of that file).

What I don't understand is why the other two transfers are fine and this third one is screwed up?

VLC media player tries to play it but I get blocky squares instead of the picture and now and again serveral windows open up doing the same thing...

I will download more files and see if I get this problem with the rest of the recordings or not...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've experienced this exact same problem. The recording played fine on the player but was corrupt on the PC. Didn't know how to fix it but at least I know I'm not the only one with the problem.

I have to say that whilst the pricipal behind the Humax 9200 is fantastic I've got a list of problems as long as my arm and I'm seriously considering getting my money back and buy it later when these problems have been sorted if that ever happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been slowly downloading the programmes to my PC and converting them.

I have discovered 2/10 recordings are 'unplayable' once downloaded.

I have also discovered 3/20 programmes are playable but when converting them into VOB files (once it has been through HDTVtoMPEG2) the program (TMPGEnc DVD Author) complains that it is an unvalid mpeg file and refuses to deal with them. The other 18 files work as normal through this process...

With respect to returning the machine... Anyone got any idea on how I do it? Do I need to call up Humax and get them to tell me to return it? I bought it online from Empire Direct...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I cannot believe that the software doesn't check against corruption. That is really sloppy programming and shows that the people involved fall short of even good freeware!