Options

'Lose' as 'loose' and apostrophe misuse

gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sick of seeing lose as loose ! :mad: (and all the other variations, e.g. loosing, looser, etc)

To see how bad it is for yourself use the Digital Spy search, select 'Advanced Search' and look for loosing (try searching by 'Tiles Only' too).

Don't even get me started on the apostrophes...

eg. radio's, video's, TV's, CD's, DVD's, taxi's, logo's, pizza's, 1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, PC's, Mac's, PS2's, XBox's

:eek: :eek: :eek:

If anyone is guilty of writing any of the above please stop it now! For every time you see these errors this year give yourself £1 (why not send them to this thread too... ;) ). Imagine what the total would be at the end of the year...

What's wrong with these looser's? Am I fighting a loosing battle? Or am I just loosing it?! :p :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    bfm here stop this nonsense or i will report you to the grand poobah :D:D:D
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    The one that really annoys me is when people get there, their and they're mixed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Eileen* wrote:
    The one that really annoys me is when people get there, their and they're mixed up.

ok im off :o:D
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... could of instead of could have Grrrrrrr :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    If anyone is annoyed by grammatical errors then I'd seriously suggest leaving the internet and investing in some encyclopedias.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _drak wrote:
    If anyone is annoyed by grammatical errors then I'd seriously suggest leaving the internet and investing in some encyclopedias.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote:

You beat me to it - I feel exactly the same, and what staggers me is how often you see a mistake being made with these words. They are (sorry, they're :D ) words which are in daily use by everybody, and must all be seen frequently in written form as well as heard, yet a huge number of people don't seem to know which one to use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the link to the OED definition of an apostrophe gargle.

Personally I have a bugbear about people who don't capitalize where necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    could,ve their fingers not,ve bean responding to wear theyre brain toled those to place it on the quay bored
  • Options
    swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    _drak wrote:

I'd like to suggest to the culprits of the aforementioned grammatical errors that their time would be better spent consulting an encyclopaedia than on the internet ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's your and you're that really irritates me! Grrrr!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's your and you're that really irritates me! Grrrr!!!

Foofy, your here. Why aren't you doing you're work? ;)
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with Swirlygirl.

My favourite ones are the use of the word "borrow" when the person means lend eg "my mate is borrowing me his computer"

Poor spelling, grammar and speech is usually a sign of innate laziness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _drak wrote:
    Wikipedia is quite good. Try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe_%28mark%29#Greengrocers.27_Apostrophe
  • Options
    MisanthropeMisanthrope Posts: 5,531
    Forum Member
    Have'nt some of you's got better thing's to complain about. Your all getting worked up over nothing.Some people have trouble writing well and if your not careful there going to go to another site. Do we really want to loose there contribution's. Grandma nazi's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swirlygirl wrote:
    Foofy, your here. Why aren't you doing you're work? ;)
    *Beat's swirly over they're head with a stick my freind borrowed to me*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have'nt some of you's got better thing's to complain about. Your all getting worked up over nothing.Some people have trouble writing well and if your not careful there going to go to another site. Do we really want to loose there contribution's. Grandma nazi's.
    Try here...
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not on this board, but on Utopia (online war game) what drives me crazy is people using thieving rouge instead of rogue, i've seen it hundreds of times, I always picture thiefs with glowing red cheeks :o

I can ignore bad grammar and spelling on forums mostly, I do it myself, what gets me tho' is when people apologise in lower case at the end of their post for accidently using CAPS! grrr - retype it then!! lol

Or another one, when people post 30 seconds after their last post that has a spelling or factual error and say 'sorry, meant **** not *****'. I'm sure they know they can edit, but just wanna knock their post count up!!

I've also got a friend on Messenger who puts question marks after sentences, whether they are questions or not - now that can be slightly annoying, for example,

Me: How are you? Him: Fine thanks???

Can't say it bothers me that much tho' - the only thing that does is txt spk!
  • Options
    t1mmybt1mmyb Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _drak wrote:
    Encyclopaediae, shurely :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Beat's swirly over they're head with a stick my freind borrowed to me*

*lends said stick from foofle and beat's the PC's with it*

I should add that I have asked CALM to create 56 items. Only you, foofle, will understand why I want to beat things with big sticks... ;)
  • Options
    t1mmybt1mmyb Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Apostrophe Protection Society

I take it you've read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swirlygirl wrote:
    *lends said stick from foofle and beat's the PC's with it*

I should add that I have asked CALM to create 56 items. Only you, foofle, will understand why I want to beat things with big sticks... ;)
    Your a fool. You should of not done that or you could of caused big problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else finding it quite hard to type bad grammar? It took me ages to type that last post because it was all wrong!
  • Options
    pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of seeing lose as loose ! :mad: (and all the other variations, eg loosing, looser, etc)

eg should be e.g. :D

I mix up some words, I'm dyslexic so can't help it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjb007 wrote:
    eg should be e.g. :D
    Yes! :)http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/eg?view=uk

I've changed the text to "e.g." but it only shows as "e.g" :confused:

Should Digital Spy use a 'Search and Replace' facilty to change all the 'loosing' (no such word) spelling errors to 'losing'? Some recent thread titles include:

Sky News loosing viewers
    George is loosing it