Options

DRM Radio

gerjo_gtm21gerjo_gtm21 Posts: 277
Forum Member
When exactly will we start seeing DRM units being sold or integrated into hi-fi systems? This technology is meant to be replacing AM, isn't it?

Comments

• Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    there is a radio that does DRM but i'm not sure if it's out yet it's made by Mayah If it is i'd like to get it myself Radio Netherlands has almost no Shortwave broadcasts on analogue to europe now :mad:

As for it replacing AM i think DAB will happen sooner!! Almost no one i talk to has heard of DRM even the ones who are familliar with DAB. It might replace AM but not for at least 20-30 years i think
  • Options
    Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I ask for the price of the latest Mayah portable receiver and it cost more than 700 Euros.

That is so expensive and ridiculous for a radio receiver. Let´s hope Sangean will give us another easier option.

http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?foroid=132607&temaid=4574939
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    I modified an old Matsui 4099 radio to produce an output which can decoded on my pc. But other radios should work fine.

Obviously this is not portable but you can hear what is around and I have decent selectivity and do not suffer from front end overload as some smaller gadgets may.

The mod is basically a small mixer which converts your I.F to a frequency your sound-card can decode. The one I use is from Schneider and the cost was 25 Euros and works very well.

If you want any more details let me know, worth a try while waiting for the cost of stand alone receivers to come down. BTW the Matsui 4099 was also badged as ATS-803 and others.
  • Options
    Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    This is the DRM Receiver Modification List

http://www.drmrx.org/receiver_mods.html
  • Options
    Rabbit RabbitRabbit Rabbit Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I have 'played' with a pre-production Roberts radio with RadioScape software, it does FM, DAB and DRM, has an SD memory card for recording and is really very good. I don't know how much they are going to be in the shops or "when" - but they have a design that works well and should be in production soon.

If you have a laptop with you (!) there is also the World Radio Traveller which is around Euro 200.

I Know that there are a number of other radio "nearly" there - it would be fair to say they are all running later than they wanted to.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,914
    Forum Member
    Radioscape marketing told me in November that radios would be released Q1 2006, presumably the Roberts one you saw the prototype of.

DRM are exhibiting at the Paris Le-Radio show 12th-15th February:
    http://www.le-radio.com/

and looking at this release:
    http://www.le-radio.com/upload/ressource/r1132828526.PDF

I am wondering if the set or sets will be launched in conjunction with the show.
  • Options
    smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When exactly will we start seeing DRM units being sold or integrated into hi-fi systems? This technology is meant to be replacing AM, isn't it?
    Difficult to say. The problem with any new digital system is the "chicken and egg" effect: to get receivers made you need a selling point (i.e. something to listen to) and in order to get stations to use the technology you need listeners able to receive the services.

The arrival of chips able to decode both DAB and DRM in a single unit may give DRM a better chance, because the additional manufacturing cost will be smaller.

In the UK I think DRM will not take off until it is licenced for use in the VHF bands - unlike most European countries analogue AM is still listened to by a substantial number of people, and there are still stations like Virgin or 5 Live which aren't available on FM. Switching these services off in favour of DRM would lose them a huge proportion of their audience.

VHF DRM would be different since it would allow new stations to switch on without requiring analogue services to switch off first. The transmission technology should also be quite cheap compared to DAB (or DRM on MW, which like analogue AM needs a dedicated transmitter mast for anything more than a few hundred watts of power), so the financial risk for a station in adding a VHF DRM transmitter would be minimal.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,914
    Forum Member
    James Briggs in the DRM-L group says that DRM consortium members have received this week some Roberts MP40 DRM/DAB multistandard radios, it looks like the Roberts shown at IFA, but the MF antenna (ferrite Rod) is now located on the top and it can be removed and placed up to 70 or 80 cm from the actual radio.

I emailed Roberts quoting the model number, they replied saying that they anticipate it will be available to consumers around August.