Options

Ireland's Channel 6 Thread.

SnappSnapp Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What does everyone reckon, will the new channel shake up the existing 4?

TG4 for me is great atm as it is broadcasting some great American shows even RTE have some good shows (who would ever have thought)

The only channel thats following behind IMO is TV3, as much as I like Emmerdale there is no need to broadcast it 3 times a day. When the channel launched it bought the rights to some good American shows but once the deal with Granada was signed all we seem to be getting is a delay on shows aleady broadcast on ITV.

I thought maybe this thread could be used for any news coming through about the channel. The offical website will be launching in April, I wonder does that go for the station too.

http://www.channel6.ie/

Confirmed for the schedule according to digitalspy are:
Numb3rs
Frasier
Sex and the City
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Charmed
7th Heaven

I wont mind seeing Charmed & Frasier all over again.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only going to be available to less than half the country, and that less than half already have quite a hefty channel choice. That said, City Channel are apparently already profitable - off being accesible to less than half of Dublin alone - so its not an impossible market to break
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I take it Channel 6 will also be on the usual Digital Formats?? Chrous and Sky Digital?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know if people with Sky in Northern Ireland be able to see the channel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not going to be on Sky, at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will there be no analogue signal?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    don't think so. be great if there was.
  • Options
    blackglovesblackgloves Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Channel 6 have any news then? I guess not
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Snapp wrote:
    Will there be no analogue signal?

Will Channel 6 have any news then?

No to both these questions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Snapp wrote:
    What does everyone reckon, will the new channel shake up the existing 4?

Confirmed for the schedule according to digitalspy are:
    Numb3rs
    Frasier
    Sex and the City
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Charmed
    7th Heaven

I wont mind seeing Charmed & Frasier all over again.

With the exception of Numb3rs, which is still a relatively new show, the rest are all shows that are either off the air or about to go bye-bye. I'm not impressed so far with that list especially as TV3 already shows Charmed, 7th Heaven is on RTE1, and Frasier and Star Trek have already been on RTE and lord knows, Sky have shown the series enough times already. Maybe there's a list of newer shows to come but right now, I'm not waiting with baited breath for this channel to come on air.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Who owns Channel 6?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen a preview of whats to come on Channel 6 since it was added to NTL? A preview is now on the schedule but every time I switch on its just the logo.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have recently done a deal with Fox which gets them, amongst other shows, Family Guy. The programming looks OK,but no-ones gonna be watching. Limiting the number of people who can receive the channel before it even launches is probably the stupidest thing a broadcaster can do. Isn't the point of launching a new channel to get it as much exposure as possible? Even if it is in the 200's of Sky.

Paddy :D
  • Options
    maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Official launch is March 30th, confirmed here and by an email I recently received.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_6_(Ireland)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone find a schedule for the first week?
  • Options
    pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on, Ireland have:

RTÉ 1
    RTÉ 2
    TV 3
    TG 4

Now Channel 5 is next for Ireland isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pjb007 wrote:
    Hang on, Ireland have:

RTÉ 1
    RTÉ 2
    TV 3
    TG 4

Now Channel 5 is next for Ireland isn't it?

Setanta Sports is considered Ireland's fifth channel.

And its also probably to avoid confusion with the UK's Five (which was rumoured to be considering a future launch in the ROI)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote:
    Limiting the number of people who can receive the channel before it even launches is probably the stupidest thing a broadcaster can do. Isn't the point of launching a new channel to get it as much exposure as possible? Even if it is in the 200's of Sky.

Paddy :D
    Might not be such a stupid idea at all.

If the channel is in the 200s then the number of people watching might be quite small compared to the 105 position that Channel6 had hoped for.

If the cost of the rights to Channel 6 is based on the potential viewers then rights will be cheaper.* Whilst it's true that this will also limit advertising revenue it might also increase the the awareness of the benefits of cable over SKY joining UTV, C4 in the equation.

SKY might end up having to give them the position they wanted all along. In the longterm it might be more beneficial.

In the shortterm, operating costs are reduced significantly as people become aware of the channel so that when the channel does launch on SKY to an additional 400k households, only then will costs increase in line with potential advertising revenue.

*I'm speculating that this is the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who'll be tuning in tonight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not I. I'm Sky only.

Programmes kick off @8pm tonite.

8pm Take 6
    8.35 The Office: An American Workplace
    9pm House
    9.55 Take 6 Intro
    10pm Film: Get Shorty
    12-2am The Late Music Show.

Friday progs start @ 3pm with Popscene
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it available on the standard NTL package or do you have to have one of the digital packages?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its on analogue, its replaced where MTV used to be - MTV has moved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that only in Dublin? Channel 6 is on 106 for me and MTV is still in the same place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking about analogue as he was asking about analogue...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    The screen size has shrunk during 'the Office'. I'm finding this show very good and can see myself getting into it. I do'nt know why they have what sounds like schoolgirls doing the voiceovers in D4 accents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    that sounds hilarious about the office..

why is get shorty on the analogue forcing 16:9 widescreen squashing on my 3:4 telly :rolleyes: