Options

FilmFour's launch on Freeview even more likely

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
Forum Member
This article in Brand Republic talks about the imminent hiring of an advertising agency to handle the big promotional push of FilmFour's freeview launch.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only hope that the commercials don't interfere too much with the films and then I'll be okay with the channel when it comes to Freeview. But I am under the influence that Channel Four and ITV is trying to be the Freeview version of Sky and that they are trying to dominate the DTT market. But I don't hold it against Ch Four, some of the stuff they came up are OK and I welcome FilmFour, but asking for more channels is being a bit greedy, isn't it?
  • Options
    chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will be grate when filmfour comes to freeview its one of the best channels channel 4 can put on and freeview needs film channel
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only hope that the commercials don't interfere too much with the films and then I'll be okay with the channel when it comes to Freeview. But I am under the influence that Channel Four and ITV is trying to be the Freeview version of Sky and that they are trying to dominate the DTT market. But I don't hold it against Ch Four, some of the stuff they came up are OK and I welcome FilmFour, but asking for more channels is being a bit greedy, isn't it?

I think the commercials will interfere, but we can't complain because it's the commercials that will pay for the channel, it's either that or no Film Four.

What will be great if Film Four does come to Freeview is that it will encourage all kinds of other pay channels to make the leap, and we'll be able to kiss goodbye to all the shopping channels as they won't be able to compete when their slots come up for renewal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I can imagine Sky not being at all happy with this idea.

I wonder if FilmFour can also launch on the Freesat from Sky service? I know More4 and e4 are tied to this long contract, but FilmFour has always been a separate pay-per-view channel, so it might have different contractuals?
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just unsubscribed to FilmFour on Telewest as I think I would watch FilmFour Weekly more than the ordinary channel, so until they get it I won't have FilmFour plus it saves me £6 a month anyways, I already have sky movies and sports on top of the top package so i think thats enough :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would encourage you all to buy a PVR. It really is life changing.

I now record absolutely everything and fast forward the adverts. For example Kevin Hill takes about 40 minutes to watch in this manner. Plus you are losing 20 minutes of ABC1's annoying promos and excessive advertising.

So for exampl, with film four - something that is scheduled for 10pm - 12.30 am, would in reality shave off about 30 minutes when you watch without ads!!

Can't wait for Film Four!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the commercials will interfere, but we can't complain because it's the commercials that will pay for the channel, it's either that or no Film Four.

What will be great if Film Four does come to Freeview is that it will encourage all kinds of other pay channels to make the leap, and we'll be able to kiss goodbye to all the shopping channels as they won't be able to compete when their slots come up for renewal.

I am not too bothered about commercials too much, and I welcome the chance for FilmFour to luanch (this may sound a little selfish and if offended please forgive me) but I would prefer the commercials to appear every 30 minutes so there is more enjoyment for the movies when watching the movies and Channel Four can get a reasonable amount of revenue.
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I now record absolutely everything and fast forward the adverts. For example Kevin Hill takes about 40 minutes to watch in this manner. Plus you are losing 20 minutes of ABC1's annoying promos and excessive advertising.

So for exampl, with film four - something that is scheduled for 10pm - 12.30 am, would in reality shave off about 30 minutes when you watch without ads!!

I have the Pace Twin PVR at the moment :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have TV for my computer and that utilises the Hard Drive of the computer to record TV and with the ability to play back your favourite TV shows sounds very good and if the TV PVRs came down in price , I would like one for the living room.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member

I have to say that I think the shopping channels will be here to stay. I have the understanding that the shopping channel contracts offer them first refusal when their tenancy comes to an end. I belive this has something to do with the fact that they were the only ones brave enough to buy a slot at the beginnig.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they are hiring an advertising agency it is near certain that it will go Free
  • Options
    rfwrfw Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it does go free I hope it doesn't reduce the range of films shown. Artsworld has been distinctly inferior since it came off subscription.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it becomes free but not in the space of a current channel. maybe in a new slot on mux2 (not sure might be able with quality not being changed much) I also hope that its move free helps it to keep showing the same films and maybe extending it's hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably it will take the place of either More 4+1 or E4+1, as I can't imagine C4 paid that huge sum for their latest DTT slot just to fill it with +1 channels.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chris20 wrote:
    it will be grate when filmfour comes to freeview its one of the best channels channel 4 can put on and freeview needs film channel

I judge this rumour to be true.Filmfour will release itself on Freeview.

Just wait a few months and then it will dumbdown.More4 dumbed down in its second week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    My hope for FilmFour on Freeview is that it's transmitted at decent quality. The PQ on More4 is pretty awful, evidently overcompressed to squeeze in the channels, and I avoid it unless there's something I desperately want to see. I don't watch E4 but presume that's the same. Movies deserve better bitrates.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudge wrote:
    Presumably it will take the place of either More 4+1 or E4+1, as I can't imagine C4 paid that huge sum for their latest DTT slot just to fill it with +1 channels.

The absence of any promotion for M4+1 makes it the likely candidate to go, though I'd rather it replaced E4+1 (not in terms of content, but slot and multiplex).

Seems strange that FilmFour is still beign advertised by C4 to contact your operator to subscribe, I'd have thought they'd be winding down on the promotions. Certainly good news for Freeviewers, not really sure if it'll be good news for existing subscribers or not.
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it be far better for it to replace QuizCall which Channel 4 also run?
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it be far better for it to replace QuizCall which Channel 4 also run?

It's a nice little money-spinner, and has a very low bitrate and resolution. Other than that, yeah.
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    If FilmFour stayed as an evenings-only thing, they could timeshare it with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not too bothered about commercials too much, and I welcome the chance for FilmFour to luanch (this may sound a little selfish and if offended please forgive me) but I would prefer the commercials to appear every 30 minutes so there is more enjoyment for the movies when watching the movies and Channel Four can get a reasonable amount of revenue.

that's what US terrestrials do now anyway. They get you hooked by showing the film uninterrupted for 30 or 40 minutes and then, bang, there you go with the commercials.
  • Options
    OrnsackOrnsack Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God bless Channel 4. Freeview's a much better place with their presence. But let's not get in to all that.

No really, don't quote me and carry on with this discussion.

But anyway, I'm quite excited by this! In my old age (ish, I'm 22) I've gotten in to the habit of getting home, watching a film, and going to bed. So this should be right up my street.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I have the understanding that the shopping channel contracts offer them first refusal when their tenancy comes to an end. I belive this has something to do with the fact that they were the only ones brave enough to buy a slot at the beginnig.

It's probably a standard contract term for this sort of thing.

All channels will want reassurance that they can continue broadcasting for as long as they remain profitable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    In view of the comments regarding advertising, sorry but we can not have it all ways. C4 are bringing this to Freeview hence we are not paying for it they are. In turn they need to fund the films and staff to do this as well as make it some cash.

It will not happen unless they sell advertising space between films.

Be thankful we are getting a film channel otherwise it would stay in skys grubby hands forever.

I would not be bothered with a few film breaks in return for a free film channel.....time to go for a pee and make a brew :D

If Turner ever came to freeview they would no doubt use advertising to make it pay as well.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I really hope that Film Four does increase it's hours when it launches on Freeview. It would be fantastic if Film Four went 24 hours a day.