Options

Can They Take It Back ?

coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or do I make them wait ?

Hi

I bought a large item for over £500 as a Christmas present , it was on a buy now pay in 12 months time and pay no interest.
all that was required was a 10% deposit down and a Direct Debit for a small monthly payments of around £15 for 11 months , then pay whatever the balance is before the 12 month and pay no interest.

The item went faulty and an attempt was made to repair it it was then collected by the company for a full refund and the order cancelled I have copy letters and Emails etc.

I expected a refund on my 10% deposit back into my current account as I paid the deposit via my switch card.
It arrived today should be £53.25 but the refund was for £523.45.
No direct debit as been attempted to be collected or has been sent to my bank to be collected.

My questions is they have obviously refunded the full amount of the total purchase price and not just the deposit can they debit my current account and reissue a correct credit without my authorisation ?
I don't have the item but I do have their money

I just want to make the Bar stewards sweat for their money for the grief they caused over this Christmas present.

Any thoughts , I have the money on deposit in my savings account and I can transfer the money easily back into my current account and I have funds in the account anyway to cover a grab back

Comments

• Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this Currys or Dixons by any chance...

Me, I'd sit tight and say nothing, perhaps indefinately
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    You had better own up and alert them to it - otherwise you are committing an offence of obtaining a wrongful credit :(
  • Options
    kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I'm unsure if the initial DD could go ahead, but I'd wait until the due date and check, and if there was no payment to them, keep quiet. :D Good luck!
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You had better own up and alert them to it - otherwise you are committing an offence of obtaining a wrongful credit

Wrong. You have done nothing illegal at all. If they ask you for the money back, you should do so. A similar thing happened with me with MFI. I gave them a cheque, and it was stolen that night in a robbery. They rang me and asked if I would send them another cheque, and I said yes, as soon as you write to me and ask officially as I wouldn't do so on the strength of a phone call. I never heard another word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote:
    Is this Currys or Dixons by any chance...

Me, I'd sit tight and say nothing, perhaps indefinately

Hi

You are pretty close :)

stumblebum wrote:
    You had better own up and alert them to it - otherwise you are committing an offence of obtaining a wrongful credit :(

Hi

I never asked for too much credit they have issued it directly to my bank , I have received no official letter yet stating the amount they will refund , I only know there is too much in my current acount

I totally agree its their money , I just want them to ask nicely for it back , its called payback time for all the hours spent talking to the jumped up nobodys about my faulty item that took far too long to sort out and spoiled my sons Christmas totally.

I just want to know if they can automatically collect the incorrect credit without me authorising it to be given to them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCWorld then :p

Listen, I hear this completely
    all the hours spent talking to the jumped up nobodys about my faulty item that took far too long to sort out and spoiled my sons Christmas totally
    "Company policy..."
    because I had the misfortune to be held a prisoner of said company.. err I mean I was an employee. And this is why I say - sit tight, say nowt, and make the big fat soul-less company ask properly for it.

Has the DD been cancelled by yourself?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kania246 wrote:
    I'm unsure if the initial DD could go ahead, but I'd wait until the due date and check, and if there was no payment to them, keep quiet. :D Good luck!

Hi

The first DD is due on the 18th Feb but I had already advised my bank to reject if presented to them as the item had been returned for credit.

I even rang the loan company direct after it had been sent back and they said don't get involved the supplier would advise them the order was cancelled and returned and cancell the DD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote:
    Has the DD been cancelled by yourself?

Yes it had been cancelled the day I returned it to them , I didn't trust them not to try and take the DD to be honest

Good luck on your escape :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it had been cancelled the day I returned it to them , I didn't trust them not to try and take the DD to be honest

Good luck on your escape :)
    Good work. Then no, they cannot debit your account without your permission. The bank will not allow this.

And thanks.. I escaped - only just - with my sanity on a thread :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote:
    Good work. Then no, they cannot debit your account without your permission. The bank will not allow this.

And thanks.. I escaped - only just - with my sanity on a thread :p

Hi
    Even in the case of an error ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    Even in the case of an error ?
    No

If you refused point blank to ever give it back, they would have to eventually take you to court etc. for the monies - which they'd have to prove you had incorrectly; they couldn't just say to the bank "we overpaid Mr. X/refunded too much to his card, givvus it back cheers Mr. Bank!" etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I feel like I know those customer service guys personally , are they and did you work in the Sheffield call centre or the shopfloor ?

It makes me laugh when I go into my Local Branch in Wakefield.

There is a big black guy who sits about 6 foot above everyone else clocking your every move ,never talking to anyone or smiling at anyone .

I wonder how long and how he would get down quickly from such a great height when the shoplifters arrive / depart , does he absail :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did you work in the Sheffield call centre
    :cry::o Yes... I was the MD's replying personally to the letters of complaint addressed to them specifically :p Had their signatures to cut'n'paste and everything :p
    I wonder how long and how he would get down quickly from such a great height when the shoplifters arrive / depart , does he absail
    :p ROFL!
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread reminded me of that bloke who deposited the promotional cheque for $95,000 as a joke and it cleared! lol - old story, but what happened afterwards is still interesting, probably a good 45+ minute read (8 or 9 long pages) if anyone's interested, here's the link:

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/view_stories.cfm?id=11&page_id=2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote:
    This thread reminded me of that bloke who deposited the promotional cheque for $95,000 as a joke and it cleared! lol - old story, but what happened afterwards is still interesting, probably a good 45+ minute read (8 or 9 long pages) if anyone's interested, here's the link:

http://www.goodthink.com/writing/view_stories.cfm?id=11&page_id=2

Strange things happen in USA :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is PC World I wouldn't worry too much - 3 years ago I managed to walk out of the store with £200 worth of digital camera. Don't worry I didn't actually steal it, I paid for it with my credit card and the shop never sent the transaction to the bank... and I wasn't going to chase it up :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the problem? The goods were faulty, they tried to fix it, they gave you a refund.

Thay acted properly, why can't you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manko wrote:
    What's the problem? The goods were faulty, they tried to fix it, they gave you a refund.

Thay acted properly, why can't you?

Hi

They made it as difficult as possible to :-

1) Process the order
    2) Despatch The Order
    3) Attempt to fix it
    4) Arrange a replacement or Return
    5) Issue a Refund

So they can wait....