Options

Anne Diamond - "Why I had my fat busting op"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,140
Forum Member
"Don't Patronise me, pity me and certainly don't provoke me at the moment. I am feeling pretty angry with what's been written and said about me this week.
Why? In case you missed the media furore, let me explain that I admitted on the TV reality show, Celebrity Fit Club, that I'd had a gastric band fitted around my stomach.

Just as there was after I appeared on Celebrity Big Brother three years ago, there's been the sniping, the moral judgments or fake compassion, as well as the sneering arrogance of stick-thin women with stick-thin brains who cannot seem to grasp that being overweight isn't a sin - it's merely a predicament that intelligent people find themselves in, too."

full story here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=376856&in_page_id=1773

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Bailyboo. I'd seen some headlines on the magazines but didn't realise that was the story behind it.

From what I've read there she's doing exactly the right thing and for the right reasons.
  • Options
    ProsaicProsaic Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I don't have much sympathy for Ms Diamond and her weight-loss saga. She did fantastic work with cot-death reduction but she's really shot herself in the foot here

'found herself in a predicament' did she? from eating too much grub??

Surely a predicament is to find yourself redundant from a job, or not to be able to afford stuff for your kids, not finding yourself bigger as a result of stuffing your face - surely that's plain old greed & common sense?

It's more likely this is damage-limitation from a woman who kept it very quiet she'd had this op, while competing with other zelebs to lose weight, then had a dose of the second-thoughts

This from the same woman who got involved with a married man then royally dropped herself in it when she commented that a major advantage to East Germans of the fall of the Berlin Wall was the extended range of shops that that they would now be able to visit. Yes, that's what the Cold War ending was all about!

By the way, Anne is still happy to flog her weight loss DVD called, ' A New You' where she will preach away to you about sensible eating plans..and you can buy it for under a fiver! bargain!'

pots and kettles spring to mind

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000Z0I3O/qid=1139677954/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/203-9029204-7525544
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prosaic wrote:
    Sorry, I don't have much sympathy for Ms Diamond and her weight-loss saga. She did fantastic work with cot-death reduction but she's really shot herself in the foot here

Surely a predicament is to find yourself redundant from a job, or not to be able to afford stuff for your kids, not finding yourself bigger as a result of stuffing your face - surely that's plain old greed & common sense?

Actually overeating isn't about greed and stuffing your face, any more than anorexia is about wanting to look like Kate Moss.

Fully agree with the rest of your comments about the DVD though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prosaic wrote:
    By the way, Anne is still happy to flog her weight loss DVD called, ' A New You' where she will preach away to you about sesnible eating plans..and you can buy it for under a fiver! bargain!'

pots and kettles spring to mind

I think the point Ann is trying to make is that she has tried several different diets. Some have worked for her initially but not long term, so she has decided to have this surgery. That doesn't make her DVD invalid, as that particular solution might work perfectly well for someone else both in the short and long term.

As Edna said, for most people overeating isn't about stuffing your face or being greedy. Consequently everybody is different and therefor has to find their own solution that is tailored to their particular needs/circumstances. It seems to me that this is what Ann has tried to do.
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    Prosaic wrote:

I don't think being overweight can be trivialised to that extent. People overeat for any number of reasons. You don't have to think too hard for the reason why Ann might comfort eat.She lost a child. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point Ann is trying to make is that she has tried several different diets. Some have worked for her initially but not long term, so she has decided to have this surgery. That doesn't make her DVD invalid, as that particular solution might work perfectly well for someone else both in the short and long term.

You can't honestly think this video is marketed as 'try it- it might work' do you?

There are 2 pics of her on the sleeve, one resembling Demis Roussos. The message is clear to me , as it is with all exercise & diet DVDs. It sells the message ' you can be thin, just buy this'

She set herself up as a fitness/diet guru, made a load of cash and is still happy to flog this nonsense while struggling with weight herself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prosaic wrote:
    You can't honestly think this video is marketed as 'try it- it might work' do you?

No, of course not.
    She set herself up as a fitness/diet guru

As I understand it, the diet she followed on this vidoe was created by a so called ‘diet guru’ called Jason Vale. Having not seen it or ead the book, I have no idea if Ann has set herself up as a fitness/diet guru.
    made a load of cash and is still happy to flog this nonsense while struggling with weight herself

Unless she owns the publishing company, I doubt she has any control over whether it is still sold or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, of course not.

As I understand it, the diet she followed on this vidoe was created by a so called ‘diet guru’ called Jason Vale. Having not seen it or ead the book, I have no idea if Ann has set herself up as a fitness/diet guru.

Unless she owns the publishing company, I doubt she has any control over whether it is still sold or not.

Take a look at the front cover. It says to me 'I'm thin because of this plan..you can be too' - as far as i can see she's setting herself as some authority there

As for having control over it, she can contact her agent & say she wants to be disassociated with the product. I very much doubt she will though.

*hears cash register in background*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prosaic wrote:
    Take a look at the front cover. It says to me 'I'm thin because of this plan..you can be too'

Which bit of that statement isn't true?
    As for having control over it, she can contact her agent & say she wants to be disassociated with the product. I very much doubt she will though.

It's not that easy. She signed a contract. To back out of it would have a lot of legal and financial consequences. And again, why should she? That particular diet did work for her and may well work for other people.
    *hears cash register in background*

Are you posting from an internet cafe? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SNIP!!
    That particular diet did work for her and may well work for other people.

How the heck can this diet have worked??

sorry I have no sympathy for her- only for the poor souls who bought her crap
  • Options
    PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you posting from an internet cafe?

:D:D:D:D

Losing weight isn't that hard, if you want to.

Tis the drink & **** I have the trouble with

:)

xxxxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prosaic wrote:
    How the heck can this diet have worked??

She lost weight on it. It worked. Unfortunately, to quote her own words, she "stopped following my own advice", "went straight back to [her] old way of life. Too much food and too little exercise."
    sorry I have no sympathy for her- only for the poor souls who bought her crap

Fair enough. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    Nothing easier than giving up drink and ****, done both myself. PoP

My video is coming out next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next week is Pete Docherty's new DVD

'Just Say No with Pete & Kate'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Prosaic wrote:
    Next week is Pete Docherty's new DVD

'Just Say No with Pete & Kate'

....only without the Kate. She's already said No to Pete.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....only without the Kate. She's already said No to Pete.

She spent a day saying ' No comment' with some police officers last week - dunno if that counts, :D

I'm glad that's all settled. now we know she was completely innocent

:rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Ross was talking about Anne on LBC this morning - he's been on CFF, so he has more idea than most about what it entails. He made certain points:
    • The celebs get paid to be on the show.
    • Anne must have known what she was doing when she kept the operation a secret, because you have a wealth of forms to complete which request in-depth medical information & she didn't give the complete picture.
    • She put herself at risk by not telling the medics on the show about the operation, & also could have put them in a difficult position if they'd given her medical/dietary advice that wasn't suitable for her in the light of the op.
    • After he appeared in the show, members of the public would come up to him & say he'd encouraged them to try to do something about their weight. Some would also try to encourage him to keep up the weight loss - he's put back on about half a stone, but has lost about 2 stone. While Anne hadn't set herself up as an expert, she has sold videos etc on the back of her previous weight loss. She can't expect people to be so encouraged by any weight loss she achieves during the show given the way they've found out about the op.
    • He felt she should be removed from the show.
    He, like most, had no issue with her having the op, but thought she was out of line by not openly stating it when she had the opportunity to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Prosaic wrote:
    She spent a day saying ' No comment' with some police officers last week - dunno if that counts, :D

I'm glad that's all settled. now we know she was completely innocent

:rolleyes: ;)

Justice is a wonderful thing, and we all like to see it being done.

It's not like there was any photographic evidence, or anything. Erm.....
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some sympathy for Anne Diamond, although it's true she should have told the producers of the show when they asked for the sake of her own health.

The video she did after she lost 4 stone , so it was legitamate when she did it. Vanessa Feltz has also done one I believe and her weight fluctuates as her love life fluctuates.

Apparently some of the others have had hypnosis which could also be construed as an aid.

I thought Carole Malone was particularly nasty towards her on the programme. I suppose it is a competition, but Anne isn't losing weight any faster than the others.

They're all being paid to take part and there are no prizes for winning, so I think they should take a chill pill and give her a break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because you have had this operation does not mean that you are then guaranteed to lose weight. There will be weight loss in the first few weeks because of not being allowed solid food, but after that, the person must still follow a strict diet, and it was at that point that Anne Diamond was having problems.

I think that she deserves respect for coming out, (lol) with the fact that she is finding it difficult to motivate herself to lose weight, even after the operation.

Let's face it. It takes courage to stand in front of millions and say that you are on a diet. Remember the failure that was Rick Waller?
  • Options
    bom-jiggybom-jiggy Posts: 15,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks baileyboo for the link :)

Whilst i appreciate Anne's explanation on the subject, I think she's completely missing the point :(. As far as i'm aware, the "furore" wasn't caused by her having the operation- it was the fact she didn't declare it to the CFC producers and as a result, lied about it that's at issue.

She writes:
    Maybe that was a mistake. But I was just so determined that this time would be my last, that I thought I'd simply throw myself into the show and get on with the celebrity romp.

"Maybe"??? Doesn't she realise the implications of withholding this information :confused:. Her actions are tantamount to fraud and I'm afraid she doesn't see it this way and therefore failed to address this in detail in that article :(. IMO, what she's done is on par with an epileptic getting a job as an industrial machine operator without declaring the condition to his/her employers :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what I'm seeing is is that she isn't hurting anyone at all, other than the other contenders of the Fit Club. She is at an unfair advantage, so what it's TV!!!!

She has battled with her weight for as long as I can remember and I'm the same, I just can't be arsed with diets. Now if I could get into a size 10 instead of 12/14 then I would be happy, but then again I'm not at the size of Anne Diamond!

The lady obviously has a confidence problem and she felt the need to have this op to help her along as she didn't feel strong enough to do it off her own bat!

I can't and will not judge anyone on that programme as it is obviously sensitive enough to these people who are in it :)
  • Options
    bom-jiggybom-jiggy Posts: 15,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, for one, am not critical of her having the op. It's the non-disclosure aspect that annoyed me and she doesn't seem to understand that that's what got up people's back :confused:

Oh well....................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bom-jiggy wrote:
    I, for one, am not critical of her having the op. It's the non-disclosure aspect that annoyed me and she doesn't seem to understand that that's what got up people's back :confused:

Oh well....................
    It hasn't got my back up, she's battled for years bless her, but in the face of the show yes it's a disgrace