The Brits

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I don't think this is her best performance! that's all I can say!
  • mw0390mw0390 Posts: 23,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it sounded wicked, she rocks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her high energy performances, especially the rockier kind :) Great crowd interaction too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    How come groups like westlife (who won record of the year) are NOT in the single of the year cat!! it doesnt make any sense!!
  • magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mw0390 wrote:
    it wasnt of a floating girl it was what happend at the end of the Your Beautfull video

ok, cant say i've ever seen that vid through to the end.
  • girojimgirojim Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debbie, pull yer tight's up lass!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    How come groups like westlife (who won record of the year) are NOT in the single of the year cat!! it doesnt make any sense!!

Erm, because Westlife are Irish, not British!
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,620
    Forum Member
    girojim wrote:
    Chris Evans and Boy George, what was all that about?
    What a thing to say, if I'd have been George I'd have lamped him!!!
    I missed that bit. What did he say?
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,620
    Forum Member
    Fenixx wrote:
    Congratulations to The Brits and ITV...for producing the worst 30 minutes of television I've seen so far this year. My God, it's truly awful so far.

If it wasn't bad enough that the Pop category was won by that bore, we had a boring open set by the Kaiser Chiefs and a totally unnecessary set from Prince. I mean, what was the point? Why this Brits, why now? Why 10+ minutes? They could've had two other acts perform. British ones, at that. From a different genre to the rest.

True pop has totally been overlooked this year. I'm not necessarily a fan, but McFly, Girls Aloud and Sugababes should've been in the category, and it should've been limited to British artists. I mean, isn't this the Brits?! Don't the Yanks get enough awards at the Grammy's and numerous MTV award shows, plus the rest. Even though James Blunt shouldn't have been in the category, at least he's a Brit.

And now we have a bunch of international categories. Best British Dance Act wouldn't have gone amiss at this point. Won by Goldfrapp, preferably.

Everything the Brits used to be about has gone. It's a shadow of its former self. Who can forget Kylie being ejected from the CD player to perform Can't Get You Outta My Head. Geri emerging from the giant legs. That Spice Girls performance.

Are we going to be sitting here in 10 years time saying "Oh, do you remember that Kaiser Chiefs performance where they did I Predict A Riot in the same style as the other hundreds of times."

Sorry for the rant, but as a long term fan of The Brits - I recorded it every year from 1996 to 2005 - I'm just over it.
    You do know Kylie Minogue is not British?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote:

I was watching at that point but I don't remember anything worth a "lamping" being said. I await enlightenment along with you :)

My own question is ... does anyone know if / when and on what channel this is going to be repeated on? I switched over at 9 for The Amazing Race and I'm sure I missed the best part of the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    kanye west was AMAZING!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote:

He was on about the drug charges in America.something about ringing the police about a burgalry when he had 10 bags of drugs under his table.
    Can't remember his exact words, has anyone got a direct quote?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    girojim wrote:
    He was on about the drug charges in America.something about ringing the police about a burgalry when he had 10 bags of drugs under his table.
    Oh I remember that now. Chris asked him if what you said above (except I think he said under the bed) was true and George laughed and answered "I think that was you, Chris"

I don't know if he did that (call the police) or not, but even if it was, what's the big deal? More than one idiot has made similar mistakes. My god, it'll be a sad day when all musicians are expected to be squeaky clean, virginal, teetotal vegetarians whos highlight of the week is colonic irrigation.
  • sheila_psheila_p Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    girojim wrote:

I don't think there's any need for a direct quote. You were spot on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MajorC wrote:
    Oh I remember that now. Chris asked him if what you said above (except I think he said under the bed) was true and George laughed and answered "I think that was you, Chris"

I don't know if he did that (call the police) or not, but even if it was, what's the big deal? More than one idiot has made similar mistakes. My god, it'll be a sad day when all musicians are expected to be squeaky clean, virginal, teetotal vegetarians whos highlight of the week is colonic irrigation.

I agree why did Chris bring it up, it wasn't even funny.
    Good job Pete Doherty wasn't presenting an award!
  • Sheba's collarSheba's collar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sur ethis has been mentioned somewhere bu Dave bloke interviewing Paris Hilton on ITV2 before main programme was cringeworthy and I expected tumbleweeds blowing through studio.She is one dumb mutha!
  • sheila_psheila_p Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im sur ethis has been mentioned somewhere bu Dave bloke interviewing Paris Hilton on ITV2 before main programme was cringeworthy and I expected tumbleweeds blowing through studio.She is one dumb mutha!

I felt sorry for him having to interview her. She's very privileged but not sufficiently savvy to give a good interview in this country.

He was on ITV2 later and interviewed Debbie Harry. I thought that was a nice interview.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly there were going to be 3 'special guests' performing but in the end it turned into one extended Prince set. He was damn good though. Also, I think they had Madonna set for performing for a while but then she wasn't doing it.
  • adamcmadamcm Posts: 4,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was boring, but then again i dislike the Kaisers/Coldplay/Blunt, so it would be for me...Worst Brits i've seen. Prince, KT and KAyne were good performances.
  • hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fenixx wrote:
    Congratulations to The Brits and ITV...for producing the worst 30 minutes of television I've seen so far this year. My God, it's truly awful so far.

If it wasn't bad enough that the Pop category was won by that bore, we had a boring open set by the Kaiser Chiefs and a totally unnecessary set from Prince. I mean, what was the point? Why this Brits, why now? Why 10+ minutes? They could've had two other acts perform. British ones, at that. From a different genre to the rest.

True pop has totally been overlooked this year. I'm not necessarily a fan, but McFly, Girls Aloud and Sugababes should've been in the category, and it should've been limited to British artists. I mean, isn't this the Brits?! Don't the Yanks get enough awards at the Grammy's and numerous MTV award shows, plus the rest. Even though James Blunt shouldn't have been in the category, at least he's a Brit.

And now we have a bunch of international categories. Best British Dance Act wouldn't have gone amiss at this point. Won by Goldfrapp, preferably.

Everything the Brits used to be about has gone. It's a shadow of its former self. Who can forget Kylie being ejected from the CD player to perform Can't Get You Outta My Head. Geri emerging from the giant legs. That Spice Girls performance.

Are we going to be sitting here in 10 years time saying "Oh, do you remember that Kaiser Chiefs performance where they did I Predict A Riot in the same style as the other hundreds of times."

Sorry for the rant, but as a long term fan of The Brits - I recorded it every year from 1996 to 2005 - I'm just over it.

I have to agree... normally the Brits is one of the TV highlights of the the first quarter of the year, but it just seemed to me there was no sparkle, nothing special about it this year.... even Chris Evans' performance seemed a bit flat, and some of the "guest"presenters were "who can we get who is not booked up?" In the past we have had some brilliant one off collaborations eg Texas + Wycleaf Jean, Tom Jones & Robbie. It seems to me it was just thrown together at the last moment. Even the Lifetime achievement award for Paul Weller- it seems to me that not much effort was put in by the producers.

Maybe the Brits will get better when it moves to the O2 arena (millennium dome) in 2008- with a bigger audience- more atmosphere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Who was the bloke with an American accent accepting the award with the Arctic Monkeys?
  • FenixxFenixx Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote:
    You do know Kylie Minogue is not British?
    Yes, I'm well aware of that...but she's an honorary Brit. :D

There are sometimes exceptions, for example Destiny's Child's performance of Independent Women, one of the best Brits performances of all time. Perhaps I went a bit OTT on the "All Brits, no foreigners" stance, especially as I was reminded the Scissor Sisters were the big winners last year, and truly deserved too.

Also, U2 and Arcade Fire would miss out if it was Brits only.

I did feel a bit stupid about what I wrote by the end of the show - Kelly Clarkson's performance and Madonna's appearance were the highlights of the whole thing. But if more British bands that I liked had appeared, they probably wouldn't have been.

I can't believe there were no collaborations this year. I loved Robbie and Tom Jones, Kylie and Justin and Daniel and Natasha Bedingfield. It was just flat from start to finish.

Hopefully Chris Evans will get the boot, he was flat as a pankcake all night. There was just no atmosphere, and the whole two and a half hours were one big letdown.

Bring on the next MTV awards, and show 'em how it's done properly. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Fenixx wrote:
    I can't believe there were no collaborations this year. I loved Robbie and Tom Jones, Kylie and Justin and Daniel and Natasha Bedingfield. It was just flat from start to finish.
    Paul Weller was offered the chance to perform with James Blunt but turned it down.
  • FenixxFenixx Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    dbrett wrote:
    Paul Weller was offered the chance to perform with James Blunt but turned it down.
    I don't blame him. :D

But there's squillions of other people from the world that we call 'pop' who could've given it a go. As someone else said, the whole thing has "last minute bookings" written all over it.
  • spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hessy2 wrote:
    In the past we have had some brilliant one off collaborations eg Texas + Wycleaf Jean

Wasn't that Texas and Method Man? I know they performed that remix on some show or other.