Options

BBC confirm development of HD for FreeSat

bramblebramble Posts: 533
Forum Member
✭✭
BBC new media chief Ashley Highfield has confirmed plans to make high-definition (HD) programmes available via the corporation's integrated media player (iMP) and free satellite platform.

As the BBC prepares to end the extended trial of iMP—which offers UK viewers a seven-day 'catch-up' window of programmes via online download to broadband-enabled PCs—Highfield told the Financial Times: "We want to be ready to move with HD on to FreeSat and I'm also very interested in getting HD on to the interactive media player."

ITV confirmed in September it was working with the BBC on the launch of a free-to-view satellite service.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=193&id=1487

Comments

• Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I like the sound of HD videos on the iMP. BBC could use it as a way to get people to get a HDTV and a box able to recieve the signal. i.e "here is what HD looks like on your computer, now get it for your tv."

Hopefully iMP will be ready in time for Spooks and they will put it up in HD format, would look great.
  • Options
    StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since a flurry of announcements late last year, everything around "FreeSat from the BBC/ITV" (not to be confused with Freesat from Sky) seems to have gone quiet.

Does this announcement mean that it's going forward? I'd heard ITV wasn't overly keen, as they were quite happy with a dominant position on Digital terrestrial via Freeview, and didn't want to threaten that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Information on the BBC & ITV's FreeSat service is indeed hard to come by. For a service that is to start this year, they are keeping pretty quiet about it, not even a launch date as yet.
    If you have any information on FreeSat, please post it to me at the Astra 2D Website.
    I am trying to collect as much information at one place:
    http://www.astra2d.com/freesat.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Rd100Rd100 Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nice site good work
    Expat wrote:
    Information on the BBC & ITV's FreeSat service is indeed hard to come by. For a service that is to start this year, they are keeping pretty quiet about it, not even a launch date as yet.
    If you have any information on FreeSat, please post it to me at the Astra 2D Website.
    I am trying to collect as much information at one place:
    http://www.astra2d.com/freesat.htm
  • Options
    StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bignoise wrote:

Well spotted. Interesting... note the contradiction between BBC and ITV stance.

Note too, that if/when the new Freesat goes ahead, it's EPG will be regulated, in the same way as SKy's...so there will likely be a lot of extra channels charging onto the new EPG in order to escape from Sky control.

A shame that ITV has gotten cold feet. They're undoubtedly right that they do well in Freeview homes - but they also need to worry about getting at the Sky-only sets. And as Sky seems to have found, Freeview (and the Freesat from Sky offerings) are really only first steps for the unwashed public as they move from analgue to digital.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I just imagine it, or did the BBC really say they were planning to broadcast the World Cup in HD this year? I'm sure I remember hearing that, but 20 minutes of Googling has turned up nothing about it.

And another five minutes of Googling has turned up a definite maybe from the BBC

"A BBC spokeswoman said there was a possibility that next year's football World Cup would be broadcast in high definition format as part of its trials."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4417202.stm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote:
    Did I just imagine it, or did the BBC really say they were planning to broadcast the World Cup in HD this year? I'm sure I remember hearing that, but 20 minutes of Googling has turned up nothing about it.

And another five minutes of Googling has turned up a definite maybe from the BBC

"A BBC spokeswoman said there was a possibility that next year's football World Cup would be broadcast in high definition format as part of its trials."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4417202.stm

Yes I read that in what satellite magazine, They apparantly already make HD programmes for North America and Asia, but HD will be ready for the World Cup apparantly. ARD and ZDF will be broadcasting in Hi Def
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spose it all depend's when Sky launch there HD boxes.