Full list of winners:

http://www.nme.com/awards/winners

Arctic Monkeys the big winners.

Comments

• Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its just a competition for who can swear the most isn't it?
    no love lost between russel brand and sir bob! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my god - the sugababes are doing an excellent cover of the arctic monkeys ' i bet you look good on the dance floor' its AMAZING!!!
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven21 wrote:
    my god - the sugababes are doing an excellent cover of the arctic monkeys ' i bet you look good on the dance floor' its AMAZING!!!

They look so embarrased and rightly so IMO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder Smash Hits have stopped, they've even stolen the awards from them....Best/Worst Dressed, Worst Band/Album, Sexiest Man/Woman....f***ing idiots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    No wonder Smash Hits have stopped, they've even stolen the awards from them....Best/Worst Dressed, Worst Band/Album, Sexiest Man/Woman....f***ing idiots.

Exactly what I thought, Smash Hits poll winners party but with ooohhhh swearing.

The NME has long stopped being the champion of music it was in the past and is now nothing more than a teen mag...The Sugarbabes ???/ ok good pop band but this shows where the NME is these days'

Jo Whiley (sic) ..'this is one of the best NME awards Ive been to' ....shut up you faker.

what a p*ss poor awards show, what p*ss poor music. (Ian Brown exculded)

And the award to to acts that no-one will give a toss about in a years time goes to.......
  • Options
    SGESGE Posts: 4,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sugababes. Oh dear. It's a good job that song is a modern classic or that performance would have been even more embarrassing. Arctic Monkeys set yet ANOTHER award, only band ever to win both best new band and best band. Mind you, I hope they know their days are numbered according to the 'expert' on here :rolleyes: . Nice one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    people say the brits are awful. it hink the brits are so much better than the NME awards. full of posers and acts no one willc are about. Q awards, allthough readers don't get much say in the voting, (hope theyd o this year) the winners are top qaulity preformers and they have a more presentble looking trophy. not just a big bronze hand with a middle finger sticking up. (how cool, how rebbelious)
  • Options
    muguguymanmuguguyman Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven21 wrote:

I'm probably going to be slaughered for saying this, but it can't be any worse than the original!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,203
    Forum Member
    I watched them last night and to be honest didn't really listen to most of them. Russell Brand orwhatever his name is was pushing it with some of his comments, there didn't seem to be any gratefulness and the presenters were a bit boring and most of them didn't even congratulate the 'winners'

The only parts I did pay attention to were Preston presenting the award to the Kaiser Chiefs(?) and they were the only ones who seemed to be grateful and appreciated it. I mean they even hugged Preston and thanked him where as the others couldn't even be bothered, a quick handshake was the most.

The other part was when Bono came on to speak about Bob Geldof, and Bob himself, in which I thought the audience were a bit rude in not listening to what he had to say - which IMO was very important.

I won't be watching them again.
  • Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think ther was any need for Bob to called Russel a **** though. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost wer the best anyway, "suck my cock"...."thats so NME" lol.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't believe Pete Doherty won the "sexist man in rock" awards - what happened were the judges blind - I don't know if I'll get over the shock
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how annoying is the new sugababe!

bring Back Mutya
  • Options
    chocolate_boychocolate_boy Posts: 2,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote:
    I couldn't believe Pete Doherty won the "sexist man in rock" awards - what happened were the judges blind - I don't know if I'll get over the shock

Women love a bastard!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where was Maximo Park in there? Apart from being my absolute fave album of the year..to see them live is amazing.

Pete..sexy..mm well the junkie look doesn't exactly do it for me. Far sexier out there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women love a bastard!

I don't, I think they're bastards! :D;)

As for Pete Doherty... sexiest man? MAN? he looks about 12 FFS! yeuuuch!
  • Options
    spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SGE wrote:
    Sugababes. Oh dear. It's a good job that song is a modern classic or that performance would have been even more embarrassing.

It's more an overplayed niceness than a modern classic. As far as 2005 singles go, Push The Button was better. Their last one was far, far better for me.

I enjoyed the Sugababes, if only because it was nice to see someone daring to smile through all the horrible pretension on show.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed a lot of the music on the show,..but it really feels like a load of people trying to be 'controversial', cynical and rebellious just for the sake of their own images.

It's as though acting like arseholes who make out that they don't care about awards (even though they turn up) gives them some sort of kudos and credibility.

It feels as much as being about a load of posers putting across a contrived image as anyone who appears on any other award show like the Brits, and the people there just come across as trying to present a certain image of themselves. Trying their very best not to smile and look as sullen and blase as they possibly can.

Some of them came across as okay and pretty genuine, but most of them seemed to be 'acting' rebellious for the sake of image.
    It seems sort of dated and predictable to see people at award ceremonies act like that nowadays. It just feels kind of fake.

I did enjoy the show though. And Ian Brown was great.:)
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone please explain to me how 'I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor' is a modern classic? For a start it isn't modern, it sounds like something from the '80s or '90s, and it's in no way a 'classic'. It and they won't be remembered in ten years time, maybe even five.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote:

Yes...and sexiest man was whom? Pete Doherty...who the effing hell voted for him....I ask you?!?!?..... :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH and another thing, I loved the fact that Ian Brown got the God-Like status award...favourite bit of the the evening, well, I have two actually. The bit where Peter Hook was announcing the award for best live act....and then he thought he'd change it himself!!....My other best bit was Ian Brown singing F.E.A.R. I LURVED it. XXX
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    NME awards: awards for posers in their early 20's most of them who will out of a record contract in 5 years time.

sack the editor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    It's nice to see Im not the only one who thinks this current guitar fad is massively overatted.
  • Options
    nirvanarhodesnirvanarhodes Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im sorry but after seeing it last night i think the Artic Monkeys are total prats so up themselves, he singer tryin to be witty came across as arrogant, and the speech made for best band "well who is would it be" come on, many other bands could have one that, if it wasnt for the huge hype round them it would have gone the the Kaisers, who had a big 2005, not the last few month of it like the AM's have!

ok fast selling album sales but thats only cos NME/Radio1 bummed the crap out of em, iv heard the album its ok not 'amazing' as everyone seems to think, much prefer Maxmo Park, Editors, Bloc Party. Too much hype for them, will soon fade away when then 'next big thing' pop up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I thought Russell Brand was an excellent presenter. Why was Bob Geldof so mean to him? He actually looked quite upset. I loved his retort of 'Bob Geldof knows a lot about famine, he's been dining out on 'I don't like mondays' for 30 years' lol!

NME has definitely gone downhill. Perhaps I am just getting too old for it, but I'm sure it used to be more serious, now it's got a laddish tone & has posters ffs!

Agree with previous poster, disappointed no Maximo Park.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    divkid wrote:
    I thought Russell Brand was an excellent presenter. Why was Bob Geldof so mean to him? He actually looked quite upset. I loved his retort of 'Bob Geldof knows a lot about famine, he's been dining out on 'I don't like mondays' for 30 years' lol!

Yeah I thought it was out of order for Bob to call Russell a c*nt. Russell's comment was funny though-Bob didn't look too pleased. :D

Pete Doherty-sexiest male. WTF? :confused: